What's new

Sony Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent S
I ordered two titles from the Sony site two days ago. I received an email that they shipped this morning.

What ones did you buy?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Now available for the first time on DVD, Critic's Choice Video is proud to present the Columbia Pictures Classic Collection with the release of the first 93 titles out of more than 300 titles in their classics collection that will soon become available.

Any rumors of what's coming out in the next batch? /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I'm still waiting for someone to come through with some kind of list of their genre flicks. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Ferris Bueller?

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Thanks, Matthew, but, of the stuff that hasn't seen a release yet, I didn't see anything that really leapt out at me except for WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS. I vaguely remember that one from childhood, and have it on my bootleg list, somewhere. Maybe, that's one they'll put out.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Warlords of Atlantis was released here in the UK both on it's own and bundled in with The Land That Time Forgot and At The Earth's Core. All are out ofm print but relatively easy to get secondhand.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
Certainly better than "inferior pennypinching editions sold for premium prices" which is certainly more accurate - if the Warner stuff is anything to go by, the restoration is minimal and the extras nonexistant and the price doubled

All on a medium that may decide to self-destruct at some unspecified point in the future.
Sony is promising that these will be high-quality transfers, so I'm going to reserve judgment until I actually view some of them.

As for DVD-R, I have never seen any actual evidence that they are likely to self-destruct. I have more than 1300 DVD-Rs which I have made myself over the years and to date not a single one has gone bad.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher
Sony is promising that these will be high-quality transfers, so I'm going to reserve judgment until I actually view some of them.

As for DVD-R, I have never seen any actual evidence that they are likely to self-destruct. I have more than 1300 DVD-Rs which I have made myself over the years and to date not a single one has gone bad.
Yes, I would rather wait and see what the quality of the transfers are like before completely dismissing them. The price point is too high for me at this stage so I will pass on these until they come down a little before making any purchase. I have also yet to see a dvd-r 'self-destruct', but I don't really have enough of them to make such a comment.
I wish that Sony had put these out on normal pressed discs, but dvd-r now seems to be the norm...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This should be a good way for Sony/Columbia to release their silent catalog, since the only silent they have released officially on DVD is Matinee Idol. In particular, it would be a good opportunity to be able to release the film they acquired in that recent New Zealand archive discovery.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
With the passing of Kevin McCarthy, there's no better time to bring out Death of a Salesman.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by MLamarre
With the passing of Kevin McCarthy, there's no better time to bring out Death of a Salesman.
I imagine Arthur Miller's estate might disagree with you. Was it him who kept that film out of circulation for years?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'm waiting as well, but for a completely different reason. The more I look at these MOD programs, the more I become convinced that this material will be some of the very first stuff offered streaming/download. The studios have traditionally glutted a new format with lower tier product along with a few gems to fatten up the offerings. What could be lower than product that wasn't even worthy of a disc pressing the first time around? It's not that I'm some big streaming/download fan, but I'm just not willing to spend a nickel more than I have to on this stuff when the studios obviously don't even care. It's just my opinion, but anymore MOD is starting to look like a transitional cash grab and I'm okay with sitting that out.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Nightwing you will be mine! I've been waiting for this cheese fest for years...the sample looks great. Maybe Violets are Blue too since I have a soft spot for Ocean City, MD. and it was filmed there.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
It is nice they are doing this and there are some tempting titles. But yikes! The pricing is too much considering I can get Blu ray catalogs cheaper than this.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Bradley-E
It is nice they are doing this and there are some tempting titles. But yikes! The pricing is too much considering I can get Blu ray catalogs cheaper than this.
The point is you're not only paying for the film, but paying for THE SERVICE - to get what you want from the available films ON DEMAND, Made to Order. This is the point most people fail to see.

It's custom, and you're paying for the custom service. People need to accept the fact the pricing isn't going to come down much on MOD. It's the nature of the beast.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Man on a String is a title I've been waiting for for some time now - and if those trailers are any indication, these should look marvelous.
Pity they're DVD-R.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Originally Posted by mdnitoil /forum/thread/303760/sony-archive-mod/30#post_3728737

I'm waiting as well, but for a completely different reason. The more I look at these MOD programs, the more I become convinced that this material will be some of the very first stuff offered streaming/download. The studios have traditionally glutted a new format with lower tier product along with a few gems to fatten up the offerings. What could be lower than product that wasn't even worthy of a disc pressing the first time around? It's not that I'm some big streaming/download fan, but I'm just not willing to spend a nickel more than I have to on this stuff when the studios obviously don't even care. It's just my opinion, but anymore MOD is starting to look like a transitional cash grab and I'm okay with sitting that out.

We are already starting to see some of the Warner Archive available for download and i'm expecting to see more download to own in the future. I'm not so sure about streaming though.

Sony in a recent article stated that they would be be doing downloads starting next year for Sony archive MOD titles.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by ChuckWL
We are already starting to see some of the Warner Archive available for download and i'm expecting to see more download to own in the future. I'm not so sure about streaming though.
Sony in a recent article stated that they would be be doing downloads starting next year for Sony archive MOD titles.
The Warner Archive has had downloading as an option since the first day of archive existence. At the beginning it was a little confusing since the titles were side by side, but the download edition was $5 cheaper. I am not sure how well this has taken off. They never had any discounts or coupons for the downloads and they do not push the newer titles on the new release page. They show 642 MOD titles, but only 524 titles available for download. It does not sound that the download option is their focus.

Also Sony has not offered yet and we will see if they come through with what they say, and neither has MGM or Universal through their Amazon deal.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
There is more than a few titles in the Warner Archive that are only available as downloads. Not sure while they would not be available on disc.

My wish for both MOD programs is that they make all of their titles available for streaming for an individual price each or for a monthly fee with access to all. It's always nice to know what you're buying before you buy it in the case of some very obscure titles.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van594 30#post_3729018
Nightwing you will be mine! I've been waiting for this cheese fest for years..

Me too. I was on pins and needles everytime a new slate of Martini Movies was announced because it was originally considered to be offered under that banner.
Unfortunately I'm going to be on the road for work for next 6 weeks so there's no point in ordering it before then. I'll have to let someone else out there be the guinea pig on this one, otherwise I'd be happy to pull that duty.

The Long Haul is another one I'm considering due to the presence of Diana Dors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks