What's new

Sony Announces Karloff Columbias For October 17 (1 Viewer)

JohnPM

Second Unit
Looks like it's official. Over at Digital Bits, they're announcing an October 17 release date for the four Boris Karloff thrillers we've been waiting for --- "The Black Room", "The Man They Could Not Hang", "Before I Hang", and "The Boogie Man Will Get You". Great news, indeed, for Karloff fans.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
And it's only $24.95. But I'm sure there'll be someone saying this price is too high for 4 films.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
This price is too high for 4 films!

See, Joe Karlosi is never wrong!

But, to be exact, I'm saying that because I'm one of those who feel disgusted that they didn't go ahead and make "The COMPLETE Boris Karloff at Columbia" set, and include "The Man With Nine Lives" and "The Devil Commands."

Because --- I suspect that WILL be coming down the line. They know lots of collectors like things neat and orderly, and even though they'll already have all six movies, they won't be able to resist having them all together in one set. So, that way, they'll double dip with a lot of people. But maybe I'm wrong -- I tend to be cynical.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'm also disappointed that THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES and THE DEVIL COMMANDS weren't included as well. They were already available "solo" previously, but they're a vital part of this Karloff collection and it would have been nice to have them all together in one package. But at least we're getting all the films.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Wow, I thought Karlosi and Lugoff were the same person. Oops!

I agree, I think they should have included those two in the box; one would think it a no-brainer.

Oh well, at least THE BLACK ROOM, one of Karloff's absolute finest films, is finally getting a DVD release.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
The "DVD Drive-in" website had this piece of news for some time now so I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned on HTF until now.

Anyway, I'll be preordering this Box Set since I've yet to watch THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG (1939) and BEFORE I HANG (1940) from it. The other two I've caught up with only recently on DVD-R: THE BLACK ROOM (1935) is one of Karloff's best and THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU (1942) is a fun little film with Karloff nicely abetted by Peter Lorre.

With regards to THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES (1940) and THE DEVIL COMMANDS (1941), I intend to get them along with this set and a boatload of other Horror releases coming out around the same time:

08/29/06:The Black Pit Of Dr. M - Casanegra
08/29/06:The Brainiac - Casanegra
09/05/06:Jigoku - Criterion
09/05/06:House Of The Damned - Fox
09/19/06:Night Key/Tower Of London/The Climax/The Strange Door/The Black Castle - Universal
09/26/06: Dracula [2-Disc Set] - Universal
09/26/06:Frankenstein [2-Disc Set] - Universal
09/26/06:Frankenstein: The True Story (TV) - Universal
10/03/06:Doctor X/The Mask Of Fu Manchu/Mad Love/Mark Of The Vampire/The Devil Doll/The Return Of Doctor X [3-Disc Set] - Warner Bros.
10/31/06:The Vampire/The Vampire's Coffin [2-Disc Set] - Casanegra
11/14/06:Forbidden Planet/The Invisible Boy [2-Disc Set] - Warner Bros.

Hopefully, I can still find a copy of THE DEVIL COMMANDS - not to mention ANGELS OVER BROADWAY (1940), DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! (1965) and THE BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN (1971) - which have been put out-of-print by Sony a few months ago...:frowning:!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I can't believe it's only $25. Coming from SONY that's an incredible deal.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap! I just fell out of my chair. Columbia releasing a set of old catalog titles?! :emoji_thumbsup: Has Hell frozen over?

Anyhow, I've wanted to see The Black Room for a long time so I'll spring for this set. Looking forward to the other Karloff films too.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Cautious optimism seems almost frivilous when it comes to Sony releasing catalog titles - the Karloff set, while a great deal, sounds like a fluke after years of ignoring their classics. I will buy this set and maintain a wait-and-see stance to see if Sony is finally turning ther corner...

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
And they're not even colorized! Apparently, Sony believes that only Three Stooges fans are dumb enough to buy that crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks