What's new

Sony 60a2000 (1 Viewer)

ELSock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
i'm looking into picking up the Sony 60a2000 in about a month..(tax return).
i'm just wondering are there any tv's that are the same size around the same money that are better..

soon to be in hd land
~ELSock~

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Pick up the FEB 2007 issue of Home Theater Magazine, which includes "6 Big-Screen 1080p HDTVs Battle It Out!"

Overall Ratings:
1) Samsung HL-S6188W.....93pts
2) JVC HD-61FN97.............91pts
3) Toshiba 62MX196..........90pts
4) Sony KDS-R60XBR2........89pts
5) Mitsubishi WD-65731......87pts
6) Olevia 565H..................85pts

The article includes out of the box evaluation and post calibration benchmarks.

The above HDTVs have their Pro's and Con's, and understanding how the testers arrived with their ratings makes an interesting read.

Phil

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Technically I guess the XBR3 is "better" though I wouldn't spend the extra money. The picture quality is almost identical.

I'm starting to look at the giant screen TVs and besides the A2000 series I would also look at the JVC LCoS and the latest Mitsubishi DLP.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
That Toshiba is supposed to have one of the best pictures available as well. And the Samsung DLP apparently has the best color accuracy, but can be too bright in dark rooms. The Mitsi they tested is not their top of the line model - not sure why they looked at that one.

Look at them all for yourself and decide. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
I was just in best buy about an hour ago looking at three different models. 61" JVC lycos, 61" samsung HL-S6187W and the Sony KDS-60A2000. I had originally planned on just purchasing the Sony but after I read the reviews in HTMag I thought I'd go check out the Samsung. The color on the Samsung seemed a lot more accurate as well did the Lycos. The sony although was only the 55" came in third in my book. Overall I like the appearance of the actually TV better on the Sony but was lacking in PQ IMO. Right after best buy I went over to circuit city to check out the same TV.s. They did not have the JVC though. The picture on the Sony this time looked better than the Samsung. So I don't know what to decide on since every tv everywhere is calibrated different it seems (or lack there of cal.) The Samsung is @ $500 less than the sony but I'm not a fan of the piano black finish. Any suggestions?

lloydMon

Grip
I just bought the JVC 61FN97 at Best Buy for $1900, including the stand (I used one of their 12% off coupons).

It's hard to determine anything in the stores regarding picture quality...they all looked pretty good to me. The JVC seemed to offer more bang for the buck, size-wise, so that's what I ended up with.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Once you get it in your home and calibrate it, you're going to like the picture on all of them. Go with your gut and what you feel comfortable spending. The differences really are minor.

You seem to like the Sony. I can vouch that it's an excellent set.

Fastlyf

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
I struggled with all of this as well and came out with the Sony for a number of reasons:

(1) Rainbows: That nixed the Samsung and other DLPs. Plus I game and the Samsungs are notorious for the "lag" issues.
(2) JVC: It was less but the Sony really did look better (picture and appearance of the TV)

Had it for about a week and it's everything I thought it would be.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I don't like the dithery look of dlp, preferring the more solid appearance of LCOS sets like the JVC and Sony.

The Sony allows separate settings on a per-input basis, the JVC does not. This is of no importance if you use an AV receiver for all your video switching but the Sony also has many more adjustments available in it's user menu which is also a lot more user friendly than the JVC's. PQ between the two is comparable. Some Sony owners are still having color uniformity or green glob issues that are not reported on the JVCs, but significantly fewer than was the case with the 1st generation XBR-1 sets.

I was all set to get the JVC until I lucked onto a very good deal on a 60A2000 on Black Friday. I've had the set since Nov 30th and am more than happy with it.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

If I recall, you had a Sony CRT RPTV. How does your SXRD compare? Especially in regards to black level and color reproduction.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I was all set to get the XBR2 and had even ordered one till I did a little more measuring and found out it won't fit in my current setup (side speakers add to much width). So now the 60A2000 is at the top of my list. I looked at the JVC and it looked pretty nice but I noticed SSE in it that I didn't see on the 60A2000 right next to it. I went to CC a couple of days ago and they had the 60A2000 playing with a nice HD feed and it really did look nice. The only thing that concerns me is the reports of the green tinge or green haze that has been talked about. If it wasn't for that I'd be all over one. I'll see what Superbowl sales come up this weekend and if I buy one I'll get the extended warranty from Sony just to cover myself.

Jim

SeanA

Second Unit
I've recently spent a lot of time comparing various DLP sets to the Sony SXRDs. One big point that no one has mentioned yet is DVD or standard def performance. The Sony is better than any DLP in this regard by a long shot. Not sure exactly why, but dark scenes have much better detail on the Sony. My Samsung DLP and other DLP's I have viewed have a lot of "noise" in the shadows. I would guess it is at least in part due to the 3-chip versus 1-chip design.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this is a "deal" but Circuit City has the Sony for $2250, but there's a $150 coupon code XAA9JANARV listed on that link as well (I tried it out, and it does work, basically negates the tax portion of the overall cost).

The thing I don't like about this Sony model is that it's missing Picture-in-Picture, a feature I've grown accustomed to in the last few years, so not having it would be a weird feeling.

But I still like the picture quality from a rear projection set over most of the flat screen TVs I've seen of late (DLP, LCD), and Plasma is pricey.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
There is also a deal with AAA for members when you register on the AAA site you can get a 10% off coupon from CC. It was e-mailed to me about 10 minutes after signing up. I tried to use both coupons but it won't let you use two. I don't know if you used the one CC online coupon if you could apply the AAA coupon in store or not. That would be sweet... I was looking at trying that but the set I wanted was not in stock locally.

Just FYI.

As a side note what do you guys think about the A2000 series and the green haze or green tinge people are seeing in other forums? Think it's something to be concerned over or just a few bad sets?

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks