What's new

Sony 400 disc changers? Any chance of DVD-Audio (or DPL II) any time soon? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering. I have lots of CD's and the Sony 400 disc changers on the net look nice and handy. They play MP3's and SACD's but there's no DVD-Audio support. Too bad because that would be really nice to have all in one unit. Also would be cool to have DPL II since it has multi-channel outputs already and my receiver doesn't have DPL II.

Any idea if Sony may release a 400 disc changer with DVD-Audio (and maybe DPL II)?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think Sony will ever support DVD-A. It's the competing format of SACD. What you really need is a 400 disc universal up-converting dvd changer. But man, that's asking for alot. Maybe you should add BluRay and HD-DVD to the wish list too :laugh: .

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
No, I don't need anything else. I won't even use it for dvd's really, except maybe with music on them. I have other dvd players for dvd's. I was just hoping for a multi-format audio player with DPL II :P Looks like I'd have to wait a while for DPL II which could never come.

Ok, how about just general opinions of these beasts?

Any thoughts as to the quality of the Sony 400 disc players and which one should I get. The 995 or 777 ES?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I haven't much either way. But a 400 disc player will have alot of moving parts. That's what would worry me about them. Convenient as heck though.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, Gene, as you may know, I have a Yam C750. I love the little Yamaha when it doesn't slip discs, which it does with more regularity lately. I use it for DPL II sometimes just to add spice to redbook cd's. I guess I like the idea of having my cd's and sacd's all in one player ready to go at any time instead of loading 5 at a time into my players. I have several 5 disc players :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ya, I remember now. I seem to be the only one around here who hasn't had any trouble with their Yamaha dvd player. Toto Live In Amsterdam is coming out of it as I wright this. I am surprised there aren't more mega-changers on the market , though.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member

Just after I turned off my PC and went into my room to listen to some CD's the stupid player went clunk again. It's frustrating because you have to wait for it to go through it's stupid cycle of trying to read the disc even though it's obviously mis-aligned. I can't get it fixed because I'm in Canada, it's from the US, it's been firmware upgraded and it's past warranty. Probably headed for the recycling soon...

Do you have the 750 or 950... I can't recall. I wish it wouldn't screw up all the time. It's handy because not only does it play all formats, it also does DPL II and converts PAL to NTSC and vice versa.

...but back to the mega changers....

Anybody have any advice regarding the Sony mega changersas per above? (CX995 vs 777ES)?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
doh.. forgot about that..

So yours has never slipped a disc? Maybe I should look for another one somewhere, or a 6770 or a C950. They are handy little units. What do you think?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've never had a single issue with mine, and I use it daily, but others around have. I recommended one (950?) to someone once (DaveHo I think?) and he had problems with it and sent it back. But mine has been great. Much better than my H/K 47 and Denon 1920. To me at least.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have 2 DVD & 2 CD Changers and have never had a problem
(knock on plastic)
I believe the Pioneer 400s have DVDA Capability on the units.
I saw sonystyle.com has a great price on their new 400DVD unit $250 I think

GRANT

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member

Cool. Thanx for the feedback. I guess there isn't much reason for me to look for the 777ES? Pioneer models do SACD as well as DVD-Audio? I'll check em' out.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks