1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Song of the South ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AdamZ, Jul 1, 2002.

1. AdamZ

AdamZ Stunt Coordinator

Anyone think we will ever see this on DVD?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I wouldn't be surprised.

Disney recently had it restored and they're lightening up on the radical PC-ness. Hey...if they can put Der Furher's Face on the Wartime Cartoons DVD, anything is possible!

3. AdamZ

AdamZ Stunt Coordinator

Restored? when and I hope they do not change the movie...

4. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Screenwriter

There has been quite a bit of speculation that Song of the South could be released to home video in 2006 ... for it's 60th Anniversary.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

At the very least it'll be released overseas and you can grab a region free player [​IMG]

7. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    I was at the Press Junket for "Lilo & Stitch" and someone asked Thomas Schumacher, Head of Disney Feature Animation, point-blank during an interview:
    "Well Tom, when are we going to finally get to own 'Song of the South?'" His face glazed over with frustration, then he smiled and completely IGNORED the question. At the end of the intervew, this same guy grabbed him by the sleeve and said "Tom, just give me something. Anything. Possibility even." Tom kept his smile and said "what?" "Tell me something about 'Song of the South.'" He smiles, says "Great movie. Goodbye," shrugs the guy off and walks away very quickly.
    I mean, he could be keepin' it under his hat about a secret release, but judging my his reactions, it was more like he didn't want to deal with it being release at ALL.
    EDIT: Forgot to mention Schumacher's title. [​IMG]

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Isn't Buena Vista US pretty much refusing to acknowledge they made this movie? I haven't heard them offically mention it since they opened Splash Mountain in Disney world in the mid 90s.

9. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Yes, Disney's attitude towards this film is odd, especially where the soundtrack is concerned. They have no compunction in liscencing out the rights to it, especially "Zippa-De Doo-Dah", which is covered by a variety of bands, even by the Fabulous Thunderbirds in recent days.

People know the song, even kids who've never seen or even heard of the movie. They can't just make the movie "dissapear" even if they want to just because of that one song. It's a weird policy. On the one hand they'll take money for it, on the other hand they want to ignore the source.

10. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

11. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

With a company so focused on making money and more of it, it amazes me the interest in the film verses the fact that it is out there on the bootleg market. You can't go to a single horror, comic or toy convention without finding scores of copies of it.

If they simply released the movie and didn't say much about it before hand, I feel certain that it would almost go over without any trouble. In the same light, there are many other films from that generation and still today that make light of the same issues and not much is said. At the same time there, I almost feel certain that if it was a black film maker that would have made the film, there wouldn't be much issue. Yet since it comes from a very 'white' studio, that could be were the problem lies.

I personally have not seen the film all the way through, and really don't have much interest in it. But the market is there, and Disney should take part of it...you can only make MORE money afterall.

12. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter

It's a beautifully-filmed Technicolor classic. The animated segments are some of the funniest Disney animation ever produced. Come on Disney!!!

13. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    How could Song of the South be any worse than Peter Pan? The depiction of American Indians in Peter Pan is about as non-PC as you can get. There is even a song in Peter Pan called, "What Makes The Redman Red?" Maybe John Stoessel of ABC can do a "Give Me A Break" segment on 20/20 about Song of the South.

14. Jeff Kleist

Because the African American lobby is a much much bigger one than the American Indian lobby. Disney seems to be positive, despite assurances from the NAACP that they will get taken to the cleaners if they re-release the film. They did a theatrical release in 1987, I don't understand how things could have changed that much since then

Sad but true

15. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Screenwriter

17. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

18. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

19. Jeff Kleist

I worded it badly, I meant it to say that Disney was sure they would be crucified despite the NAACP's assurances that they would not fight it

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I have a contact within Disney that had been
    keeping me up-to-date on film to DVD release
    plans.
    Last year I talked to my 'Deep Throat'
    contact who works within Disney Home Video.
    At that point, I was assured that Disney
    would not release Song Of The South
    to DVD.
    That was a year ago. Have not talked to
    this individual recently, but I plan to.