What's new

Song of the South (1 Viewer)

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
People often underestimate children.
Indeed. My niece loves Fantasia. Once, when she was ten, she overheard me telling her mother about the black centaurettes that had been censored out of the "Pastorale" sequence and started asking questions. I explained the history of the film and the reasons behind the censorship, and showed her some QuickTime movies of the deleted shots. She was quite fascinated. It just so happened that they were discussing racism in school and were required to do a report on it. She decided her report would be on Fantasia. I helped her prepare the video clips she needed, and she got an A.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Indeed. My niece loves Fantasia. Once, when she was ten
This is the same as my brother in law, who discovered this movie when he was 8 (although he would always turn it off before it got to the "Night on bald mountain";) ) Never underestimate the intelligence of a child.
I was amazed at the interaction between the animation and live action on this film, with the cartoons convincingly running ahead and behind (even through the legs of Uncle Remus, if I remember correctly), while maintaining proper perspective. This film must of been a constant point of reference for the "Who Framed Robert Rabbit" animators, though you would never know it from that DVD, where I don't remember a mention in any of the documentary about SOTS (I haven't listened to the commentary yet)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I was amazed at the interaction between the animation and live action on this film, with the cartoons convincingly running ahead and behind (even through the legs of Uncle Remus, if I remember correctly), while maintaining proper perspective.
I believe that Disney was practicing this animation/live action combo long before with his Alice comedies (maybe in the mid-30s?). He combined live action stuff of a little girl with animation for these shorts. I thought they were rather groundbreaking for their time. I remember seeing these late night on the Vault Disney program.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Jeff,

Walt Disney did those shorts in the early 1920s (around 1923) and although I'm only 17, I used to watch Vault Disney late at night if I couldn't sleep and I saw some of those "Alice" shorts (or "Alice" comedies as they were known as) and just being entertained by them. They were always interesting to watch. Too bad Vault Disney is gone and the Disney Channel has turned into nothing more than a teeny-bopper station.

As for "Song of the South", the more you guys mention it, the more I want to see it. I've never seen it and I have a weird feeling that if it never gets a release on DVD, I probably never will (Unless if ABC decides to show it, which would be a longshot at best).

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
SOTS does, indeed, have some of the most beautiful 3-strip Technicolor cinematography I've ever had the pleasure to watch. The live-action segments, while a little cloying at times, are still quite enjoyable. The animated segments, however, are some of the finest that Disney produced. They're witty, warm, and FUNNY! If you've never seen the film, then I urge you to hunt down a copy, even if you have to buy a PAL tape and have it transfered to NTSC. It's worth it.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the Alice cartoons; you can catch a tiny bit at the beginning of the Leonard Maltin's Studio Tour feature on the Behind The Scenes set.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
There is also a full Alice Comedy on the absolutely wonderful Archive Edition LD of ALICE IN WONDERLAND. That set is definitely a case where the LD is miles ahead of the dvd, although I hear that a new dvd set is in the works. Let's hope it's as good as the LD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
You know, a thought just occured to me....

Breakfast at Tiffany's, with an insulting and terribly embarrassing stereotype of asians, is on DVD without any questions asked, and SotS is not?

What the hell kind of hypocrisy is that?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, you can't really call it hypocrisy, because Breakfast at Tiffany's is not a Disney film.

But I wondered that, too... and there are several reasons.

One is that BAT is not a film intended for impressionable children. Song of the South is.

Also, hypocritical or not, Asian stereotypes are considered less offensive by most Americans than black stereotypes. (Though that's obviously changing, evidenced by the recent Charlie Chan cancellation.)

Finally, MGM hasn't staked its reputation on family films for the last 75 years like Disney has, and does not have all the complicated baggage that accompanies that.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Breakfast at Tiffany's, with an insulting and terribly embarrassing stereotype of asians, is on DVD without any questions asked, and SotS is not?

What the hell kind of hypocrisy is that?
I would assume they figure anyone interested in watching Tiffany's is old enough and mature enough to cope with the stereotypes. SotS is likely to be watched by kids.

Not agreeing with this distinction, just explaining the apparent hypocrisy.

Plus, aren't they different companies with different policies?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
this is a great thread where I am learning new stuff all the time, such is the same with the Charlie Chapling thread
keep it going
:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Hey all. I just received a reply from Leonard Maltin about SOTS. I had written him about his essay about Fox Movies pulling the Charlie Chan films from their lineup and asked him about SOTS as it is in kind of the same situation as the Chan films. Here is his reply:

Hi... The folks at Disney are well aware of interest in Song of the South, and I know they're thinking long and hard about the possibility of a video release... but when something like this Charlie Chan flap arises it doesn't bode well, sending a message that there are still great sensitivities "out there." I know you'll enjoy the next TREASURES set... thanks for your kind words. cheers, Leonard Maltin
Not good news.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to write Leonard and sharing the news with us.

This one quote is probably the most substantial piece of SOTS news in years.

-Reagan

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I have enjoyed SOTS ever since I first saw it during its limited rerelease in 1986...
I can only hope that common sense wins out and that Disney does not wimp out and cave to the hyper-sensitivity of a few...
I guess only time will tell. One thing is for sure - SOTS is a beautiful film. I watch it every now and then. The animation and live action interaction is amazing. It is a beautiful film. I think it is actually one of Disney's most stunning works.
Here's hoping it sees the light of day soon!
Zack
EDIT: BTW, thanks Brian so much for the update!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I watched the laser disc, which someone thoughtfully transferred to a DVD-R for me.
Song of the South is innocuous unless you take it out of context.
It's not really racist and does not intend to offend anybody.
It simply reflects an earlier time when behavior was unsophisticated.
If anything, the film is a reminder of how far we have progressed.
In that sense it is educational.

If Disney can't deal with it, why don't they license the film to a smaller specialty label?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks