What's new

Somewhere In Time (1980) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
As predicted, Amazon has increased the ore-order price. And by more than normal... It's at $16.98 now!Mark

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
It won't be long before this hits the $10-$15 dollar range in stores, maybe even below $10 not long after street date. So far there's no indication this will be some sort of collector's edition or that it will even be a new master.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Like everyone else here this is one of my all time favorite films and I am very much looking forward to seeing the BD. Although I have to admit this being Universal I am very concerned on how it will turn out.

I recently watched this film on Netflix HD streaming and I was not too impressed with what I saw. The whole film seems to have been brightened up, particularly the dark scenes. Other than the light from the flash light, the scene in the attic was almost pitch black when I saw it in the theatres yet on NF you see what the room looks like. The same can be said about the room where Richard ends up when he gets sucked forward in time at the end of the film.

If this is how the BD will look like then I can already say that Universal has screwed up yet again by tampering with the picture unnecessarily.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yeah, we started watching SOMEWHERE IN TIME on Netflix last evening and parts of it looked stunning, but most scenes looked overly bright and sometimes washed-out. I kept wanting to go into my brightness settings and drop them down, but I resisted.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry I ordered the movie. I was on Mackinac Island right after the filming as I vacationed there for many years. I just missed the filming but the residents told how down to earth all the cast and crew were.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
One of my favorite films of all time. Probably the most beautiful score ever written. I hope Universal treats it with care. I'm not too optimistic seeing how they've optically smeared all the classics until they look like an old VHS copy. If you haven't seen it -- you're in for a treat. Probably the most romantic movie ever made. I, too, hope for a steelbook with original artwork -- and an isolated score in DTS 5.1!

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
One of my very favorite movies from first seeing it. So many people have picked this film up over the years.

When we first saw Titanic, we left the theatre saying that it reminded us of Somewhere In Time. The comparisons are very striking.

I certainly hope that Universal will give this classic a bit of consideration. I have no choice but to wait for reviews given their track record, but I really want to be able to buy it.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm beginning to have a bit of faith in the major studios with regards to deep catalog titles. MGM did a fantastic job with Terminator and Robocop, which proves that things can turn around if given a little time. Universal, OTOH, is like one of those poor lost souls - like a hopeless addict on a downward spiral. Other than a handful of A-list titles by big-name directors, I can't really think of any Universal Blu-ray that I've been impressed with. Some people speculate the studio is bitter about losing the format war but I just think there's no one at the studio who really knows what they're doing. Somewhere In Time on DVD was barely acceptable - what are the odds that the Blu-ray will be any better?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I just rec'd my copy from Amazon. I was concerned about pic quality so I popped it in and scanned around. Haven't seen it from beginning to end yet.Definitely not a new scan, some gate weave, some minus density noted (in the handful of shots I sampled throughout disc); grain appears intact, no EE, no obtrusive DNR, smoothing, etc.In short - a noticeable upgrade from DVD when viewed on larger screens, even if a new scan would have been revelatory.Still, I'm happy. I love this film.The extras (1 hr docu, commentary, etc.) appear to all be ported from the DVD.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Harry-N said:
Yeah, we started watching SOMEWHERE IN TIME on Netflix last evening and parts of it looked stunning, but most scenes looked overly bright and sometimes washed-out. I kept wanting to go into my brightness settings and drop them down, but I resisted.

Harry
I just A-B'd the opening scene - Netflix vs Blu-ray. Blu-ray wins handily, black levels/gamma appear off on the Netflix encode.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I preordered this back on December 18. Realized today that I hadn't received a shipping notice so I checked my order at Amazon. It shows a delivery date of March 6! WTF?! What happened to Amazon's release date delivery guarantee? (Yes, I've got Amazon Prime.) I shot off an email to Amazon to ask what the heck is going on!

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

I would bet you anything that Amazon will make it up to you.

Anytime that they miss a release date delivery they always credit me somehow.

In this case, I would bet they will give you an extra month of PRIME.

I love Amazon and the way they treat their customers and handle complaints.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Ronald Epstein said:
Mark,

I would bet you anything that Amazon will make it up to you.

Anytime that they miss a release date delivery they always credit me somehow.

In this case, I would bet they will give you an extra month of PRIME.

I love Amazon and the way they treat their customers and handle complaints.
There's probably a snafu in Amazon's shipping chain delaying delivery...I received my copy a day EARLY yesterday via Amazon Prime!!!

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Watching my copy now. Richard has just discovered Elise's portrait in the hotel's museum. If I could pick a word for this: stunning. Absolutely stunning.

Oh, and the picture quality is good, too. ;)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Fascinating to me that this decidedly mediocre transfer is getting a pass from everyone - it looks okay but it's not great by any means and certainly doesn't look anything like a new scan.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I notice that Netflix, and sometimes Amazon Prime have an HD streaming title available many months ahead of the Blu-ray release. Wondering if they sometimes get the same transfers that are used for the BD releases. Was this the case with Somewhere in Time?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
haineshisway said:
Fascinating to me that this decidedly mediocre transfer is getting a pass from everyone - it looks okay but it's not great by any means and certainly doesn't look anything like a new scan.
Universal rarely bothers with new scans; it's getting me worried because there's so many titles from their catalog that I want--flicks that didn't even look that good on dvd (like 1941) or flicks that were botched on dvd (like Sweet Charity). I really don't want to pay for an upscale of their crappy dvds

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Not seen this movie. Might have to if the BD is worthy. My only issue with this movie(like all Hollywood of the era) is it is a far cry from French, Spanish and UK variety...
Hmm as usual I have no idea what you are saying.Didn't see it but you have a problem with it and... "is it is a far cry from French, Spanish and UK variety..." What? Anyway this is my favorite movie and the blu is apparently a slightly cleaned up port from the dvd. I'll buy it as soon as it is less then $10.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mark Booth said:
I preordered this back on December 18. Realized today that I hadn't received a shipping notice so I checked my order at Amazon. It shows a delivery date of March 6! WTF?! What happened to Amazon's release date delivery guarantee? (Yes, I've got Amazon Prime.) I shot off an email to Amazon to ask what the heck is going on!

Mark
Not every preorder is guaranteed to be delivered on the release date. Only the titles that have:

Want to receive this the day it comes out?
Select FREE Two-Day Shipping at checkout.

will have this guarantee.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm very pleased with this transfer. Actually, I'm impressed, considering it's a Universal release. Colors are warm, there's fine detail, no evidence of DNR (to my eyes, anyway). Comparing clips of the film from the documentary to this Blu-ray, the differences are stunning. Overall, I'm very happy with this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks