What's new

Something that's always nagged me about !D4 (1 Viewer)

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
What would you do with a 15 mile wide ship that crashed? One must weight, what? A billion tons? One of those things coming down would cause a massive amount of damage. Nevermind the dust and debris thrown up from the crash.

Just something that's always nagged me when I watch that movie.....

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see a complete list of the technical inconsistencies in that movie. It'd be a real hoot.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Anything from "How did Jeff Goldblum's character hook up his laptop to the alien craft?" to "How did two people and a dog outrun the shockwave from a nuclear-level blast?"

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Don't forget how something as friggin huge as the alien mothership could come into Earth's orbit and not cause massive tidal waves and changes in weather patterns. If you actually try to analyze anything in this movie and take it serious you're liable to go cross eyed or something. I still like it though. Stuff blows up and blows up loud and big. After studying hard for a final or something this is the kind of movie that my brain needs to go into hibernation for a couple weeks and come back out refreshed.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
"The alien ships are 15 miles wide, and at least hundreds of feet high, so why are they using air-air missiles, which have a warhead of about 20 pounds, instead of bombs with 1000 pounds or more?"
"Why do they attack the ships only with F/A-18s? They could fire a lot more warheads (eg. Tomahawks) from submarines, destroyers and so on."
"The Mothership's size can be compared with Earth's size. And if the smaller UFOs would weight min. 100bln tons, how heavy the Mothership would be? And the physics say that two bodies that heavy and in such a close range (in comparison with mass) should be attracted to each other, changing the Earth orbit. If it's changed, even slightly, it would cause immense storms, hurricanes, quakes and so on. So the aliens would have no need in smaller ships. The single Mothership's presence would have destroyed humanity."
Link Removed

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
That page doesn't mention two that have always bugged me - and maybe someone here can correct me if I'm wrong. First, from what I remember (it's been a while), Jeff Goldblum figures out that they are going to attack, so he wants to warn his ex-wife, and also the President. So what does he do? He drives to Washington DC (and I'm ignoring the potential traffic problems getting there - that IS mentioned on the Movie Mistakes page), and when he gets there, he looks up his wife's cell phone number and calls her. Why didn't he just look her up and call from New York and save all that time?

Second, the aliens were using our satellites to synchronize their attacks? Are you telling me they don't have the technology to do that themselves? What if they had shown up 50 years ago... do they have to wait until we deploy a bunch of satellites before they can begin the attack?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Goldblum's character is the ultimate asshole.
He could have called the president HOURS before the attacks and save a lot of people. Yet he's more concerned about family.
What a guy. He has the blood of billions on his hands.
:D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

That was in the movie. After decoding the alien countdoun one of the first things that Goldblum does is call his wife to warn her and she just hangs up on him assuming it's paranoia.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Man,if there is one film where you have to spend all real disbelief,this is it.
Doesn't matter though..I still love it. :D
Calvin

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
You are all assuming that they used earth materials to build the ship. I would assume they used space aged polymers that are stronger than steel yet lighter than silk (IE Spun Spider web). The thing that always bothered me was how they got an apple to connect to ANYTHING, let alone an alien computer.

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing that bothered me was that I spent $6 (at the time) for this movie.

There are 3 movies that utterly disapointed me (probably because of the hype): Batman (quite good, actually), ID4, and The Phantom Menace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks