What's new

Something that REALLY ticks me off is when............ (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
quote:It is definitly IGNORANT to empty an ashtray in a parking lot or at a stop light. That's just stupid.

Bit of a double standard, isn't it, James? Even a whole ashtray full of dead butts dumped on the street is less dangerous than one lit butt being tossed onto the side of the road. Either way, I find it incredibly inconsiderate.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
An off-topic follow-up:

Brian Perry wrote (post #25):

I've seen [murder of crows] mentioned in a few places, but curiously, it's not in the dictionary. In contrast, most collective nouns such as a "pride" of lions, are listed. And it's not like a "murder" of crows is a new term; I've seen it listed as correct usage for over 20 years.

We've been here before on count-noun classifiers (not "collectives") such as "murder of crows".

Note also that the system is not necessarily restricted to animals or people (e.g., rogues' gallery = a gallery of rogues). For example, fancies and stairs come in flights, while riches come in "embarrassments".

JamesCB

Second Unit
quote:Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that are city very much feels and looks like the inside of a trash can?

and

quote:If somebody here is driving with there window down.. they are probably in the process of tossing there own ciggerette butt out of the window.

ROTFL
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I know exactly how you feel. Maybe it has do do with where we are from. Buffalo sure is one of the dirtiest cities I know. It's just common practice here to throw our butts out the window. Not a single day goes by when I don't see it. It really is an attitude many of us share here. Maybe because I've seen it being done my whole life, I am desensitzed to it.

James

Jimi C

Screenwriter
.. and you know what.. i wouldnt want to live anywhere else.

edit> its worth mentioning to those who dont know.. In new york all ciggerettes sold are made with "fire safe paper" that will extinguish itself fairly quickly if you are not constantly puffing on it. (and it is very annoying)

And the average cost of a pack of smokes is around $5, they are very highly taxed in New York, so if it wasnt for us smokers you non-smokers would be paying much higher taxes. I beleive that thanks are in order.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"And the average cost of a pack of smokes is around $5"

I think they should be taxed more so people can be hired to clean up their disgusting mess.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Cigarettes here cost 10 bucks a pack, but we poor non-smoking schmucks in Canada pay for our Universal health care, so we get to pay (through taxes) for all the medical care smokers need that is directly related to their habit.

When I was a kid on vacation with my folks (I remember it well because it was the day Charlie Chaplin died) some one at our campground threw a cigarette out his car window and it went in the back window and burnt his infant daughter's eye. Haunts me to this day, I always wonder if she went blind in that eye or not, the man was a wreck.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
quote:I think they should be taxed more so people can be hired to clean up their disgusting mess.

Listen.. not all smokers litter and not all people who eat mcdonalds toss the bag out the window on the way home.. but some people do.. dont generalize.. and dont assume that all people who smoke are horrible. You are talking about 25% of Americans. Im sure you have some habits that are less than good for you.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Jimi C.

I agree with you 100 %, it is a generalization, I know that not all smokers do it, I am just wondering why it is tolerated at all. I never see anyone throw a McDonald's bag out the window (I see a lot of fast food crap on the ground, so I am aware it happens). I just wonder why the ones that do in fact do it, feel free to do it in front of every one as if it was ok.

I have plenty of habits that I am sure are bad for me, but none that I am aware of that are bad for someone sitting beside me like smoking is.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Hey Doug.. have you ever confronted anyone you have seen do this? Im assuming you haven't.. so, why would you expect others to?

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jimi

asssume what you like, I tell them all the time. Usually it is in a car however and I don't bother chasing them, road rage ain't my thing.

We also have rules on smoking in doorways and I tell anyone that is not far enough away that they aren't.

I stick up for myself all the time, but thanks for asking.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
What I've always found "amusing" is that smokers inevitably smoke in their cars with the windows down, and even hang their arms with the smoking cig out the window in between puffs. If you like the smoke so much, why not shut the windows, trapping it all in so that you can enjoy that smoky goodness over and over again? More bang for your buck, right?

biggrin.gif

(And before irate smokers respond, yes, I know it stinks the car up, other non-smokers who use or ride in the car might not appreciate the smell etc etc etc. All good reasons for quitting IMHO. The one reason I don't buy is the argument that side-stream smoke off the burning tip contains more nasty stuff and you want to avoid it -- if so, just plain don't smoke. Why should the rest of us have to endure that side-stream smoke you're trying to avoid?)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"Listen.. not all smokers litter and not all people who eat mcdonalds toss the bag out the window on the way home.. but some people do.. dont generalize.. and dont assume that all people who smoke are horrible. You are talking about 25% of Americans. Im sure you have some habits that are less than good for you."

Personally I've NEVER seen anyone throw out their fast food bag. I don't think people who smoke are horrible just the idiots littering our world. And I don't have any habits that are not good for me.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
A guy emptied his ENTIRE ASHTRAY out his window while driving in front of my car. We were going 60 MPH too. I was fucking pissed - a dozen cigs all over my hood and windshield. I wanted to strangle that 'tard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks