What's new

Someone try and talk me out of this! (1 Viewer)

TroyRD

Grip
You would think it would be fairly easy to choose a RPTV!

But it seems just about every Manufacturer has some glaring problem and one has to make compromises. I have been a loyal Sony fan for what seems like forever, so I thought it would be an easy choice for me to choose one of their tv's.....guess again....I orginally intended to purchase a 51ws500, but after listening to all the horror stories of flickering problems that occur 5 months after you get them, I know I will not be happy. Everytime I watch it I would be carefully examing the screen looking for the dreaded flicker problem to start.

My original requirements were: $2000-2500, 50 inch or larger screen, and had to have a cabinet width of 52" or less....Sounds easy right?

Well, anyways to shorten this, I have finally narrowed it down to a Pioneer elite Pro-530HD, but its way over budget and I need someone to talk me out of it before I pull the trigger. I was also considering the 533 (I can get this model cheap enough to have it isf calibrated and still be around 2500 total), but its a 2 year old design and has no DVI inputs. Seems when I get tv's I always get one just a little behind the times to save some dough, last tv I bought didn't component inputs, as they were just being introduced on higher end models at the time, and sure enough within 2 years I wished I had it, tv before that lacked s-video...same thing, wished I had gotten one with them shortly after purchase.

So HELP, why can't someone just make a reliable, perfectly calibrated tv, right out of the box, without breaking the bank....even the pioneer I am looking at currently is known to geometry issues out of the box that will most likely need to be tweaked.

Troy

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Troy,

Get the newest Pioneer if you aren't going to be comfortable with a Sony.

The Spot is a bitchfest over the Sony flicker problem. Sony has been aware of it for upwards of a year now, and recent production models should be ok, but there's no way to know what the build date is until the box is openned.

My HW40 is an early production model with a 97 serial number, and has been flicker free for 19 months.

I am extremely happy with it's performance and pq, but if I were buying now I'd be just as leary as you are.

From what I can tell the Pioneers are about the most bug-free sets around that still have decent line doubling and stretch modes.

The main recommendation I'd make is to be sure to buy from a local store with a good return policy and seriously consider buying an extended warranty.

Kip Lackey

Stunt Coordinator
Troy,
The bottom line in your situation (and practically everyone else's) is that you should be financially reasonable with your budget. If I can't afford something, I don't buy it. I know it's hard to do when you have all sorts of financing, credit cards, and other schemes to purchase with, but it is really much more important than over-spending on something like a TV. Other may give me flack for this but it's true. A TV is a pleasure, not an essential item for everyday living. For example, I would love to upgrade my 32" JVC to 57" widescreen but our roof on the front porch has a soft spot that needs repairing and our house trim paint is peeling/popping/cracking. My tax refund will definitely go to these two items before a large screen TV.

You did ask someone to talk you out of the purchase so I gave it my best shot! :D

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
I'll tell you right now that no matter what you buy there will be compromises made. Even the top of the line model will have technical issues. Buying the best TV you can reasonably afford will give you peace of mind and a wonderful viewing experience. Going way over budget could literally ruin your home theater experience, because every single microscopic flaw will be magnified by the pain of paying off the loan :).

I own a 46" Sony kp46wt500 w/ Component and DVI. The kp46wt500 has Panasonic CRTs, and the quality is outstanding. I understand that there are $2,500+ televisions that are bigger, and to the anal-retentive videophile, of better quality... But, I don't care. Once the lights are off and the play button is pressed I'm amazed with the quality of the TV and the immersive experience it offers. That's the whole point isn't it?

If you want to GO LARGE for $2,500 then I'll recommend a different approach: Consider front projection. You can purchase the new Panasonic L300U for less than $2,000 online (it's highly recommended at projectorcentral.com). Then, spend $500 on a Da-Lite permanent 92" 4:3 wall mounted screen. Or, optionally, a $500 73" 16:9 portable RoadWarrior screen that you can take anywhere (it has a unique scissor back frame that makes rising and lowering a breeze, and you can set it on a table or on the floor).

Sean.

TroyRD

Grip
Well guys, you didn't do a good enough job!

The elite is being delivered later this week. Went with my wife to Tweeter today, and her jaw dropped to the floor when I showed her the set I was thinking of. I had shown her some the other models I had been thinking of earlier (Sony and Mitsu), and not gotten much of a reaction from her. But when she saw this set, the smile never left her face the rest of the afternoon and the decision was made.....I think she is almost more excited to get it than I am. :D She is already planning on inviting some friends over next weekend for dinner and movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks