What's new

Someone please review YES: Fragile on DVD AUDIO? (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK, in case anyone cares, I take back my comments regarding bass on this CD. I hadn't listened end to end, and was focusing on Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround...

Just cue up Cans and Brahms, and any questions of insufficient bass will be addressed!

Another random comment. I had all sorts of navigation problems on the DVD-V layer of this disc. I had a hard time when switching back and forth between the DTS tracks and the DD tracks. The track list would indicate DTS, but theere was no output, even though the time counter on the player was advancing.

I had to stop the disc, and restart, the select DTS from the menu. I also noticed that, when I was playing the DD layer, the audio and display buttons on my player (a pioneer DV-45A) were inoperative.

No biggy...I won't be spending much time on the DVD-V layer anyway, and its probably just a quirk with my player.

That said, its all academic because, other then a bit of a bass boost apparent with the DTS layer, I much prefer the sound of the DVD-A tracks. The highs, particularly the cymbals, just sound awful on the DD and DTS layer, when compared to the DVD-A layer. Very strident. Listen to Long Distance Runaround on DVD-A, then swicth to DVD-V (DTS or DD, it sdoesn't matter). You'll hear what I mean.

And one more thing. Its a shame that the cool animated menus are only present on the DVD-V layer. Very cool to see the album cover come to life.

BL

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with all those who say this is a pretty incredible release. I wouldn't go as far as saying that its sound makes it seem as if Fragile was recorded yesterday, though. There's a certain thinness to the audio (to my ears) that tags it as being an older recording. That, and the fact that progressive rock like this just isn't made anymore.
But everything else about the disc is top notch. The clarity of the DVD-A tracks is almost shocking -- guess I've got too many memories of listening to "Roundabout" through blown-out college dorm speakers. Yes is also a perfect group for m/c audio mixes. This DVD-A takes full advantage of different speakers, but it all seems very natural. It isn't hard to imagine that this is the mix that Yes would have gone for had Fragile been released in quad back in the 70s. And the bonus track "America" is great!
It's a disc that should encourage those without DVD-A capability to upgrade for the holidays. The DD and DTS versions just pale in comparison.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The DVDA version does have an animated menu screen where that winged thing flys around the Earth. Pretty cool!
The bass during "Cans and Brahms" was damn fine on my SVS subwoofer. I know my ICBM and SVS were working!:D
Hope this is just the beginning of releasing Yes titles on DVDA or SACD.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Since I had a credit at Digital Eyes, it was worth it to me to pick this one up for just the DTS version.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The DVDA version does have an animated menu screen where that winged thing flys around the Earth. Pretty cool!
I stand corrected on my previous comment that the animated menus were awol on the DVD-A layer.

My player (Pioneer 45A) starts playing straight away when the disc is inserted (the lyric page for Roundabout pops right up).

The menu button seemed to be inoperative, but when it hit the Top Menu button, I got the animated menus.

Very cool.

BL

CarlP

Agent
The stereo track is well worth the purchase. Fantastic sound. Very open. The bass on America and Heart of the Sunrise is incredible considering this is a 30 year old album.
However...
I did not care for the surround mix! It did have its' moments, but it is strange, at best. America, one of my favorite Yes tunes (!), is unlistenable. As with any multi-channel DVDA or SACD, it is strictly hit or miss.
If you are a die-hard sweet-spot stereo junkie (I am) this is WELL worth the purchase.
Also, the photos and timeline are great.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I did not care for the surround mix! It did have its' moments, but it is strange, at best. America, one of my favorite Yes tunes (!), is unlistenable. As with any multi-channel DVDA or SACD, it is strictly hit or miss.
Well stated. I happen to like the surround mix on Fragile, but there are titles that I hate.

One that comes to mind is Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow. It seems like it was mixed with a strong bias to the rear channels. That one will remain a 2CH affair, at least in my player.

OTOH, I really enjoyed Hotel California, and A Night at the Opera.

BL

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I just made an analog MD copy of my Fragile disc for "portable" purposes. I've never owned the CD and my record was bought used and is not in the best shape. I may have tin ears but it doesn't appear that there is any audible problem with the copy, so I guess there isn't any watermarking.

Great disc, I wish they would make DVD-A hybrids so I wouldn't have to do this.

I also compared the DD 5.1 track with the DVD-A one and the DD sounds poor comparatively.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I also compared the DD 5.1 track with the DVD-A one and the DD sounds poor comparatively.
Same here....in fact, thought the DD and DTS versions sounded bad, compared to the DVD-A tracks.

The cymbals just sounded harsh to my ears, although the bass may have been a bit pumped up on the DTS versions.

BL

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Picked this up today and am very impressed. I found even the DTS track to be far superior to my original cd at the frequency extremes (the cd has no bass or treble) and found the surround mix to be enjoyable in that it was revealing of many parts which had previously been a bit "buried". All except for "Mood for a Day", in which Mr. Howe sounds as if he's playing in the bathroom down the hall (which may well have been the case, but still...).

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
This hasn't left my DVD player yet. :emoji_thumbsup: The increased definition and clarity of Squire's Rickenbacker is amazing, really clear and punchy, much more impact and groove.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I'm thinking about picking this up (just for the DVD-V DD and DTS). Tell me what the mix is like, does it use the center channel for main vocals or is it spread to the front L/R?

Thanks!

Wes

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Two years too late but nonetheless...I just bought this over the weekend at Best Buy for $14.99 and I am so glad I did, fantastic DVD-A all around. This is the way to do DVD-A, I like the surround mix but I was truly blown away by the stereo mix, probably because I had something to compare it to with the original album and 90's CD release.
It's like a veil of gauze was removed from the recording & while I agree that it might sound a tad "thin" compared to other DVD-a remixes from the period, after comparing it to the LP & CD, I feel that this is the way the dynamics of the album have always been intended to sound, no huge bass effects except in certain spots...a recording alternating between dynamic and subtle as it always was.
Wonderful.
Personal note: South Side Of The Sky has always been my personal favorite from the album and aside from Roundabout I'd say that this along with the accompanying We Have Heaven are the most successful 5.1 tracks on the disc.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Actually, I just bought this at BB a couple of weeks ago. Sounds good. Interesting DVD-A surround mix. Definitely fills the room.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wow, Gary--nice score at BB of an apparently OOP (?) title. Did it look like it had been sitting there for a few years/have a 2002/3 stock date on the price tag?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Paul.S said:
Wow, Gary--nice score at BB of an apparently OOP (?) title. Did it look like it had been sitting there for a few years/have a 2002/3 stock date on the price tag?
Looked like it was there awhile. Actually, most of them looked like they had been there awhile. I do not recall seeing the stock date. Doesn't look like they are keeping DVD-A and SACD fully stocked. I had to go to three different BB's to get a more varied selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks