What's new

Someone explain this to me: Star Wars Trilogy & Indy DVDs already available? (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
bootleg links removed

Coding : All Region

Video Format : Widescreen - NTSC - Color

Audio Tracks :
- DTS : English
- Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 : English
- Digital Stereo : English

Subtitles : English, Chinese, Thai, Malay (Close Captioned - Removable)

# Discs : 3
# Sides : Single
# Layers : Dual

Special Features :
- Interactive Menus
- Scenes Selection
- Trailers

Are these bootlegs, is this joke or what?? I came across these and I'm wondering if this is for real.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ok so they are bootlegs, that's all I need to know. I've never come across that add or that site before and I was just wondering. There's no extras so $29.99 for just 3 movies and a trailer or 2 seems about right.

Edit: Also the packaging looks pretty cool and official, which is why it confused me even more.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ok so I'm brain dead. :D The $29.99 price seemed crazy, then reasonable and now it seems crazy again.:b

Edit: Wait I have another question: why is this site able to operate and sell these things? It's piracy isn't it?(ok that's 2 questions)

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
Wait I have another question: why is this site able to operate and sell these things?
Because it's almost impossible for law enforcement to go after every single business that sells this stuff. Check out the DVD section on Ebay. There's about 100,000 bootleg DVDs for sale there, and that's just one site.

The same thing goes for bootleg CDs. The powers that be try to stop it at the wholesale, rather than the retail level, and even at that, enforcement is pretty haphazard.

And by the way, they are "real." They exist, and you can touch them, and they will play. What they are not is licensed.

Charlie

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because the MPAA can't catch them asa fast as they go up. I've reported the site to the MPAA, please remove the link so people don't follow it to enrich the scum

For anyone else wondering

THESE TITLES WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE US BEFORE ANYWHERE ELSE, AND WILL PROBABLY BE RELEASED WORLDWIDE AT THE SAME TIME. ANY AND ALL INDY/STAR WARS DISCS YOU SEE (except Episode 1 and 2) BEFORE MID-NOVEMBER(for Indy) ARE BOOTLEGS

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
And of course, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg bring this on themselves by sitting on these movies and refusing to release them. And if you think there are alot of these now, wait until ol' George tells everyone that he will never release the original versions of the Star Wars Trilogy.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
But, Charlie I'd think there's a difference between a single person selling something on ebay and an established website that sells and distributes bootlegs. Another thing that confused was that because licensed Star Wars trilogy VCDs are available I thought that perhaps licensed DVD were too in certain countries(silly me).

Anyway I'm taking off my FBI hat and removing the links.

Thanks for your help guys and explaining this to me because I considered buying these things.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
: Also the packaging looks pretty cool and official, which is why it confused me even more.
If these guys are not respecting the rights of the content of the films, you don’t think that copying a little thing like cover art would be a problem, do you? :D

I looked at the FAQ in the link, and the first (and funniest) was Is it safe to use my credit card.

Now there’s an idea: I’ll just give my CC number to a bunch of guys who are already morally suspect.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And of course, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg bring this on themselves by sitting on these movies and refusing to release them.
Seems a bit odd to blame the victims—even if they are rich, they are the guys who had the ideas and produced the work. Not the guys who are ripping them off.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Let me just say one word...

BOOTLEG!!!!!

Sorry, I just had to really emphasize it. ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why so many people don't know bootlegs when they see them! Go to any REPUTABLE DVD retailer and you will not see any original Star Wars or Indy on DVDs. It's as simple as that.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
In the immortal words of C-3PO in Return Of The Jedi just before they launch for Endor....

"Here we go again..."

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
George Lucas as victim. Now that's rich. Let me start counting the numerous versions of the trilogy that I legally own, purchased from the "victim." Of course, I'll answer my own comment by stating that I know that I only have myself to blame. But the days of buying multiple copies of these greedy filmakers' films have come to an end for this boy.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I don't know why so many people don't know bootlegs when they see them!
Ok I'm going to list the reasons why I thought these Star Wars DVD's might be legit:

1) I was referred to the site that sells the questionable DVD's from a banner at a UK Tripod site. To me than lent a slight aire of credibility, however slight.

2) The site itself that sells the bootlegs is a professional looking site that sells many DVD titles, most of which are, as far as I can tell, legitimate copies not bootlegs of movies currently available on DVD.

3) The packaging looks somewhat professional with a consistant design ethic being used for all 3 movies. Basically I got fooled by the fancy gold border.

(don't worry I'm hosting this pic of the DVDs myself)

4) As I briefly mentioned, there are legit VCD's available of the trilogy and perhaps I thought there might be legit DVD's available too. Ok I know that's a pipe dream but a dream nonetheless!

5) The legit looking specs fooled me(see first post).

So basically I got fooled into thinking they might be legit because of the way they were presented, but at least I didn't buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks