What's new

Somehow my receiver seems to amplify less and less the longer it's plugged in (1 Viewer)

Jonny K

Second Unit
The receiver in question is an old Kenwood 1080VR that I'm using to amplify a stereo signal from a computer. When I first set it up the volume will be reasonably loud at "-40 dB" and loud at "-30 dB". But after months of time (6 months or so) I'm finding that I have to turn the volume up louder to get the same actual volume level. Now loud is around "-15 dB" or so. If I unplug the receiver and let it sit for a few days and then plug it back in the volume seems to be louder again and it's good for several more months. I don't think this is just my ear, it's getting quieter!

Any idea what this could be? It's annoying.

Thanks.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I think you need to check it with a sound pressure level meter. Loudness is pretty subjective.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
"It sounds like a bad capacitor," said nodding sagely.

An SPL meter would be useful for confirming that yes, it is, in fact, not working right, although I'd say that if after a three day unplug, you turned it back on at -15dB and it blew your socks off, it's an issue.

The easiest thing to do is to replace the amplifier.

As for finding which capacitor might be bad or going bad, I haven't the foggiest notion; I don't even know that it's a cap. It just sounds most likely.

Leo

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have a Kenwood 106VR in my "computer room" that's been on 24/7 for...just how old are these? Somewhat over 10 years I'd guess, from when HT sound was still 2 channel anyway. I never turn it off...and the volume doesn't fade...so was a good deal as far as longevity.

Agree there are likely caps that need replacing, they deteriorate in just about all gear over time. If it takes MONTHS for the problem to manifest, forget about easily narrowing the problem down, but you can pretty much guess the main power supply caps need some attention, among others. It is often difficult to find exact replacements for the large PS ones because mass-market gear typically has custom ones.

Fixing this could be a real time-consuming effort, probably hard to justify unless fixing electronics is a hobby...

Jonny K

Second Unit
Ok, cool. I suppose I'll just leave it as is for now, it's not worth the effort to replace it. I don't really want to buy a new receiver for just the computer at this point. I'll wait until I get a new one for the theater and then the computer will get the Yamaha RXV-1300. :)

Thanks.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Well, another path is, "huh. The bottom of the pile just died. Well, I guess it's time to move everything else down."

Which then leaves you with a hole to fill for your prime home theater "heart." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks