What's new

some summer 2008 movie bets I made with a "friend" (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

On that last title, just give Will Farrell a few years...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Ledger's death had very little - if anything - to do with the movie's BO success. How many people said "I have to see TDK to pay tribute to Heath"? Few, if any, I'd say.

TDK is a big hit because it's good and people like it.

Oh, and if this LaSalle guy isn't yanking chains, he's a grade-A jerk. He wins bets (in his head) because he weasels out of them - classy! :rolleyes

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I think Ledgers death was huge in making it a box office success. Before he died, I never heard the phrase "Hey, Heath has a new film out, let's go check it out!". When he died, a good 60% of the status messages on my facebook (and I only average about 150 friends on it) where about him, from people who I never knew to even be into movies, period, much less comic nerd ones (I'm including myself in that nerd group by the way...). All the reports practically listed the role of the Joker as a cause of death. As such, seeing this film became the movie equivalent of buying an Iphone on the day of release, hence you had the line ups and pre-sales. Yeah, it being a Batman movie helped, but Ledger dying was huge in the anticipation. The bonus is that it's apparantly a good movie. I haven't seen it yet since I hate crowds and people (see number of facebook friends...) :P

Pete-D

Screenwriter
It made a bit of difference, but Heath Ledger's last film is still coming out. That's not going to do $400 million+ or probably even $120 million+.

And then again, if they really were that obsessed with box office they could have cast Johnny Depp or Leonardo DiCaprio as the Joker (keeping the script and everything else exactly the same) in the first place and still have achieved the same results IMO.

The film is also showing very good legs, like Batman Begins. So maybe the Ledger thing contributed to a strong opening weekend, but to be crushing records left and right two weeks later? The movie has to be hitting a nerve with the audience and drawing strong repeat business. Lets just face it, I think the more "serious" take that Nolan has taken attracts people like women and older people who normally wouldn't really give two hoots about characters that dress up as superheroes.

The Nolan films still work as crime films, and in TDK's case, works as a thriller flick. And also looking at Friday's box office -- so much for The Mummy "crushing" TDK, looks like another close weekend especially if word of mouth spreads quickly on how bad the new Mummy film is.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Is that supposed to be funny?

It's not.

This La Salle troll is on my ignore list, and has been since he started screwing around in the "Batman Begins Sequel..." thread.

I thought the lot of you put him on your ignore list as well, but obviously you all seem to enjoy feeding this troll.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I'm in Canada too, therefore you know full well we get just about everything on TV uncensored, even on the news occasionally...so Fuck That Troll.

:D

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Oh.

Okay then.

Sorry....

OMG TDK like totally rox'n stuf its the best movie EVAR!!!!!

The 15 year-old kid mentality in me suddenly rose to the surface for a moment....:D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I read an article speculating that Titanic numbers may be possible for TDK. I don't know if that's true or not, but I don't think I'll ask Charles to pick any lottery numbers for me. ;)

Still haven't seen TDK, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks