What's new

some summer 2008 movie bets I made with a "friend" (1 Viewer)

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Oh and Charles, yeah Shia and Downey Jr. are "cute"?

Lets put a smile on that face ...

Next time don't take a bet based on that as your rationale, lol.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
You guys seem to forget that SPACE CHIMPS is out this weekend, I wouldn't count those chickens yet.

SPACE CHIMPS has of course:

Monkeys - everyone loves monkeys
Outer Space - The Star Wars of 2008
All ages - no scary bits for the kids.

A combination never before seen, and so fresh compared to the sequels. With Indy 4 flat lining at the box office, Dark Night being to adult, and bad word of mouth on the Mummy 3, I think this one could walk away with the Box office. I bet Dark Night loses all it's legs. After this weekends hype and the lack of IMAX theaters, this summer, SPACE CHIMPS is number 1.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I agree. I can see Space Chimps being the biggest film of the year with 2 billion worldwide. Everybody around the world loves monkeys.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
I think this La Salle guy was just yanking all our chains. Speculating that Indy IV and Iron Man would be huge because because Shia and Downey are "cute". And speculating that a third entry in a mediocre-at-best and dormant for almost a decade series would be huge. Come on, he was definitely having his bit of fun seeing how he could rile people up with his outlandish statements.

Oh, and scanning throught this thread I found a post by me, from mid-Sept of 2007, expressing some real skepticism over The Dark Knight. Interesting, though to be fair, I did acknowledge it had the potential to be great and that I had faith Nolan could pull it off. But some of that, "it could just be a standard Batman vs. Supervillian" or that the Joker may not work as a "realistic" villain was off the mark.

Real Name
Charles LaSalle
I saw the movie last night and it was just so-so. To be honest, I was trying really hard not to fall asleep.

Regarding those bets, it doesn't really matter because I was right about the movie being not so good. I'll probably lose the main bet and the first side bet but the 2nd side bet is still up for grabs. Actually, we did another "side bet" with my so called "friend" and it's that TDK will gross more than $300 million. I predict a 70% drop off after this front loaded weekend.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Everyone's entitled to his opinion, of course, but I think it's safe to say that you're in a very, very small minority on this one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, with 94% at RT and over 100 million in 24 hours, I think it's safe to say TDK has already beaten the total domestic take Mummy 3 will have. Probably doubled it.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Even though that troll LaSalle is on my ignore list, I see his quotes and I have to wonder, why is anyone taking him seriously now? You didn't take him seriously back when he was trolling the actual Dark Knight thread, so what's changed?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
not everyone is going to like the new batman movie.. its okay to like begins or even the burton films more.

Jacob

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

I certainly hope your profession doesn't require you to make predictions about current trends. You'd be in a soup line in no time.

Real Name
Charles LaSalle
It seems like I'll be losing this new bet but it really doesn't matter. You know why? In the end, I'll win and my friend will lose. The Dark Knight was what I thought it would be: it simply was so-so. Because of this, my friend has suffered because he was thinking that it would be great.

I also win because I got out of the 3 initial bets. Sure, TDK has grossed more than BB (the $50 bet) and it the other 2 side bets will most likely be lost as well (IJ4 doubling TDK's gross and Iron Man making more than 80% of TDK's gross) but my "friend" is a chump and he let me out of the bets when I complained. You see, I complained that Ledger's death changed the playing field and I suckered him into letting me out of the bets.

As for the $15 bet that TDK won't make more than $300 million, sure I'll probably lose but I'll just avoid him until he forgets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks