What's new

Some Sony ES series questions (1 Viewer)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Folks-
I'm still looking for a good receiver to replace my old Sony DE725. Mainly I'm looking to move up to DTS at long last. In recent weeks I've checked out the Denon 1803, the Onkyo TX-SR500/600, Panasonic SA-HE100, Pioneer 711/811 and the HK AVR 125. Fine models all in the $300-500. My leaning had been to the Onkyo 500 simply because my parents have one and have been pleased with it so far. My speakers are Energy Take-5s with an 8". I live in a relatively small studio apartment so power isn't an issue. Neither is Dolby EX or DTS ES since again, small apartment, no place to logically put that extra speaker. Although it would be nice to have EX/ES capability for futuring proofing.

Anyway this is all somewhat of a long-winded way of introducing the main point of this post. I have in the last day been given an opportunity to purchase from the Sony ES line at an incredibly good discount. One which makes even the top-of-the-line STR-DA4ES well within the range of the previously mentioned models. My question is, is the ES line really top-notch? And what are the differences between a 2ES and 4ES in performance (I already know about the feature differences)? In particular I've heard that the 4ES has much better amplifiers than either the 1ES or 2ES, which makes me lean towards spending the extra money for the 4ES. I am given pause however, because my speakers can only go to 100watts and the 4ES tops out at 110watts (not that I would ever crank the volume to the top, but I don't want to run the danger of blowing a speaker). This would not be an issue with either the 1ES or 2ES. Any danger there?

- Guy

Chad_D

Auditioning
I'm currently the pround owner of a DA4ES and had an oportunity to look at/listen to the Onkyo SR-800, H/K AVR525, and Denon 3803 as well as the DA2ES.

I ended up going with the 4ES because (IMHO) it offered the best features and sound quality. As for the 2ES vs. 4ES, it's pretty much accepted that the 2ES is a rebadged 1070 DB and is not a "proper" ES model. The 4ES has better amps, a sturdier frame construction and is about 10 lbs. heavier (which is a pretty good indicator).

I also wouldn't worry about the 4ES supplying "too much" power as long as you don't push your speakers into clipping.

Hope this helps.

Chad

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Chad-
That does help, but I can't help the feeling that the 4ES might be too much for my current needs (although at the price I can get it for hard to resist). So you don't think it will damage the speakers? That the worst that will happen is clipping? The 1ES fits more with what I need, but the 4ES' cleaner amps are very, very, tempting.
- Guy

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Unless you always set your volume by turning up the volume until you can hear amp distortion, it is very unlikely that having an amp that can deliver more power than your speakers are rated for will cause damage - the reverse situation is far more likely to result in speaker damage.

As an aside, I have been trying to destroy some 18W speakers for a couple years now but since they start distorting when too much power is put through them, I can't listen long enough for them to be damaged.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Sony is parading about a deal to it's ES dealers for some remaining 7ES rcvrs, this deal might make them "street" at B&M's for @ $1,000 anyone have any ideas on how marketable they'd be and at what price would you buy them.....I know that popular opinion suggests that the remote isn't woth it but nib w/warranty at a closeout price might be attractive ,no?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Guy,
most receiver-caused speaker damage is from distortion and clipping when the desired volume requires more power than the receiver can output.

The likelihood of damaging your speakers with the DA-4ES is miniscule.

That's a very highly regarded receiver with excellent flexibility and processing. If you can get one at a really good discount, go for it.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
From what I read here it sounds like I should take the 4ES over the Onkyo TX-SR600 since they will cost me the same.
- Guy

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
the 4ES is way better than that onkyo. onkyo tx-sr600 is not even in the same ballpark

we're talking about a receiver that weighs 46lbs (the sony 4es) against a receiver that weighs 25lbs (the onkyo) no contest

C

Chris*Liberti

The Sony is a way better deal. The Onkyo 600 was the replacement for the 595, I had the 696 until I got the Sony and the Sony sounds a lot better than the 696 and drives my 4ohm speakers a lot more effeciently

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks