What's new

Some questions before I start sonosub. (1 Viewer)

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
I talked to the cabinet-maker again, we are going to try to make some flares out of wood, basically a trimmed down version of the top endcap I mentioned in an earlier post, it will fit on the bottom of the port tube like a sleeve, the inside flush with the inside of the PVC.
I'd go for the $35 flared port if I could get two of them. I'd like too keep the 2 subs identical in every way.
Dylan, what was the approximate length and width of the flare you looked at?
p.s. Dylan I do have e-mail, I tried to send my first e-mail a few weeks ago but it wouldn't work, I'll have another go and see if I can get it working.
Harry.

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Dylan, I just had another look at your screenshot of LspCAD and I noticed that the cone excursion at 25hz is 33mm, the Adire site lists Xmax as 15.1mm one way. Does this mean it will bottom out at 25hz?
Harry.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Harry,
LSPCad shown peak-to-peak excursion, and Xmax is given as one-way, so looks like you're ok there. Also, Xmax is the limit of the driver's linear("low distortion") travel, but not its mechanical limit (Xmech). A good driver like Shiva typically has a ways to go after Xmax is exceeded to actually "bottom". So, if you design to keep Xmax acceptable, you've got a good deal of "headroom" built-in.

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the explanation Jack. Construction of the subs starts tomorrow. Can anyone suggest the best way to cut the sonotube? i.e. what type of saw do I use?
If anyone is wondering how to mark out a perfectly square cut around the tube, I used a large sheet of cardboard 2m x 2m, and wrapped it around the tube so that the overlapping piece lined up perfectly along the edge, then marked the tube along the bottom edge of the cardboard sheet, then you slide the cardboard along the tube and use the other side to mark out a paralell cut at the other end of the tube. The cardboard sheet must be tight around the sonotube and lined up perfectly at both ends to ensure a staright mark can be made.
Harry.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From my Sunosub webpage links (see my signature below), you can see that I just created a banner from 13 sheets of 8.5"x11" paper and wrapped it around and marked the cut line with a black sharpie marker. Then I just used a hacksaw. First I groove in the cut line with the hacksaw to get a nice cutting groove as I cut through sonotube, and then I hack away until I'm done.
Once I was done cutting, I used my scissors and power sander to smooth off the edges and cut off stranglers from the sonotube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks