What's new

Some of the stupidest things ever said about DVD (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, us laser people had legitimate concern that DVD would be a "Joe Sixpack" format yet still kill off laserdisc, leaving enthusiasts with nothing. Thankfully that hasn't entirely happened, though it is disturbing that a few brand-new movies have been issued only in pan and scan which would probably be in widescreen on LD if it were still around, and a number of catalog titles have come out only in pan and scan on DVD that were widescreen on LD but of course are now difficult to find.
Can't say I miss the prices though!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If HD-DVD will only play back via HDCP-DVI connections as I fear, thus making it useless to 90+ of current HD-capable display owners, we will once again see a high end niche Home Theater Format, and dvd as we know it will indeed be a J6P format.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The above quote was from Kevin Smith on the Chasing Amy Criterion dvd.... It can stay... This is an adult board...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
You may also want to look at the Widescreen Review magazines when Dolby AC3 was first announced- there were pages of letters from people denouncing it because it was compressed and that they wouldn't be buying into it. For laserdisc the DTS system made a lot more sense for multichannel.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Resistance to new formats goes far, far back into the distant past. I've known people who, in eons gone by, wouldn't leave messages on answering machines.

If you think the hostility toward D-Theater is strong, wait until you see the first real threat to DVD. Because we think a high-def form of DVD will be so transcendent, we overlook the possibility of something altogether unexpected coming along and ripping the tablecloth out from under the technological status quo.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
What makes the Kevin Smith quote fun, though, is that it originally appeared on the Chasing Amy laserdisc.

My sentiments exactly at the time. :D

Best regards,

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
You may also want to look at the Widescreen Review magazines when Dolby AC3 was first announced- there were pages of letters from people denouncing it because it was compressed and that they wouldn't be buying into it. For laserdisc the DTS system made a lot more sense for multichannel.
Back when AC-3 first came out, WSR loved it. Then once DTS came out, that ended real fast, as well as my subscription (but that is for another thread).

I owned the first real consumer AC-3 decoder (Yamaha DDP-1) and was on of those people who waited anxiously for each AC-3 disc to come out.

Then in May of 1997 (living near NY I was in one of the 7 markets that released DVD in May) I was able to buy a DVD play and a few disks and any doubts about the format quickly went away. And the price was so much better than LD.

During the next couple of years I remember talking alot on the Stereo Review (remember that magazine) boards about which is better and will DVD become mass market, copy protection, compression woes, pan&scan scares...and a slue of other things LD-philes were afraid DVD would bring.

Well we all know now and I laugh at what some of the na-sayers said back then.

Sathyan

Second Unit
What makes the Kevin Smith quote fun, though, is that it originally appeared on the Chasing Amy laserdisc.
On the Criterion DVD release of Chasing Amy there is an extra in which Kevin Smith apologizes for that infamous comment in the commentary track (he also says that it wasn't hime who said it).

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I think the funniest thing about his quote is that he warmed up to DVD less than 2 years later. He's said on his board a couple of times that he still cherishes LD, but has no hostility towards DVD now.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Yep. I remember the day Chasing Amy came out on dvd. I caught hell over that from my friends. "Hey Nathan, didn't you pay $50 for your laserdisc? Well guess what, punk, I got the dvd for half of that." The conversation went downhill from there.
:)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
His retraction on the DVD is hilarious....yes Kevin, DVD will pay for your kids education.
funny how he was the only one to dare voice his opinion.

Resistance to new formats goes far, far back into the distant past.
Resistance will be futile
The Borg - 'aka J6p'

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
"Hey Nathan, didn't you pay $50 for your laserdisc? Well guess what, punk, I got the dvd for half of that."
Funny how that's reversed itself.
Now I walk down the street and find the dvd for $29.99 or the LD in perfect condition for $6.99.
My LD collection has pushed itself past 500; 300 for those little cd imitator things
Price wins out again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks