What's new

Some info on MST3K Collections 2 & 3 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Courtesy of www.mst3kinfo.com :
Rhino Home Video has given us a tentative glimpse into the MST3K DVD future.
With the caveat that all this could change, the second MST3K boxed set is slated to contain:
Episode 301- CAVE DWELLERS
Episode 303- POD PEOPLE
Episode 622- ANGELS' REVENGE
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER: THE SHORTS, VOLUME 1
(featuring The Home Economics Story, Junior Rodeo Daredevils, Body Care & Grooming, Cheating, A Date With Your Family, Why Study Industrial Arts? and Chicken of Tomorrow)
The set will tentatively hit stores February 11, 2003.
Looking further into the dim future, boxed set #3 will tentatively contain:
Episode 202- THE SIDEHACKERS
Episode 320- THE UNEARTHLY (with shorts: Posture Pals and Appreciating Our Parents)
Episode 518- THE ATOMIC BRAIN (with short: What About Juvenile Delinquency?)
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER: THE SHORTS, VOLUME 2
(featuring Catching Trouble, What To Do On A Date, Last Clear Chance, A Day At The Fair, Keeping Clean & Neat and The Days of Our Years)
This set is tentatively set to hit video stores April 8.
All this could change, of course, and if it does, we'll let you know as soon as we find out.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I didn't know there was a first set. Does it include the movies already released singley?
Collection 1 was released 11/12. All four episodes were not previously available on DVD, and are now only available in the box set. The same is true with collections 2 & 3 (although a couple of the shorts on The Shorts, Vol. 1 are available with their original episodes).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm looking forward to these.

If there is a Volume 4, it'll have 2 new episodes which aren't on Rhino Home Video period. The only two tapes not on DVD are Gunslinger and Shorts Volume 3...so I'd expect new ones.

One good thing about the 4-disc sets is that they're cheap. Amazon.com has the first box for $44.99, so that's roughly $11 per episode. The current DVDs cost anywhere from $13 to $18 depending on the title.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

No. Sci Fi would most likely not use Rhino to release any of their episodes.

Another note of interest, STARZ! will be showing MST3K: The Movie on Monday.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
YES!
Finally Pod People and Cave Dwellers.

"Trumpy, you can do stupid things!"

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Speaking of Scifi Channel. Whats up with them? They have a ton of good shows they should release on DVD. I'd buy The Chronicle and Invisible Man.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Ah, Pod People.

"It stinks!"

I kind of wish they'd spread these around a bit more, as at this rate, they'll run out of films to release sooner rather than later.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Do we know if they will go back and release the ones currently available in a boxed set?
They could almost come out with 3 more boxed sets with the titles currently out.
Set X = Mitchell, Manos: The Hands of Fate, Eegah, The Brain That Wouldn't Die
Set Y = I Accuse My Parents, The Beginning Of The End, Red Zone Cuba, The Wild World of Batwoman
Set Z = The Hellcats, The Crawling Hand and the MST3K Movie This Island Earth (unlikely, I know) and maybe a third set of shorts including Here Comes The Circus (one of my favs).

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
No. Sci Fi would most likely not use Rhino to release any of their episodes. said:
It's an older message, obviously, but I'd imagine it's not outdated.
Generally in the television game, it's the production company that controls the home video rights, not necessarily the network. That's why, for instance, Fox released the Buffy box sets rather than Warner Brothers or Paramount. There may be issues preventing an immediate home video release, but...yeah.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to start buying all of the MST3K releases to support these guys.
Does anybody know which episodes will likely never be released on DVD due to rights issues?
Will we see any other catalog titles after the VHS crop is transferred to DVD?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Does anybody know which episodes will likely never be released on DVD due to rights issues? said:
Nothing's been officially announced.
Best Brains released their own videos through mail order of Boggy Creek II, The Girl in the Gold Boots, The Touch of Satan, and Hamlet, and perhaps those will be revisited on DVD by Rhino.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have the original The Amazing Colossal Man VHS. I guess I should give it back in the spirit of legality...:D

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
This is great news about the sets! I picked up the first set, and we had a MST3K party on Friday which was a great success! Skydivers was especially hilarious.
Look forward to February 11th, hopefully that date will hold.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Whew...thanks for that little bit of info Adam, I was really worried that the Rhino Cops would bust down my door every time I watched it....kind of like when Frodo puts on the Ring.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.