What's new

Some good westerns? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I haven't seen a western before(unless you count Blazing Saddles), and was wondering what some good westerns are.

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on what you like:

I like the more modern westerns, real good ones are:

Tombstone

The Quick and the Death

Wyatt Earp

Quickly down under

If you like the older ones:

Wild Bunch

Once upon a time in the west

The good, the bad and the ugly

(and all other Clint Eastwoods)

There are ALOT of decent westerns but above mentioned are very good.

Greetings from Holland,

Frank

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
If you haven't seen a western before, why not start with the best one ever made? ;)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here's the ones I own so far (you'll see that I'm pretty liberal with some of the things I include, but it's all in good fun for the most part):
  • [*]Blazing Saddles[*]Cat Ballou[*]City Slickers[*]El Dorado[*]Hang 'Em High[*]High Noon[*]How the West Was Won[*]The Magnificent Seven[*]Man with No Name Trilogy: A Fistful of Dollars[*]Man with No Name Trilogy: For a Few Dollars More[*]Man with No Name Trilogy: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly[*]McLintock![*]Red River[*]Rio Bravo[*]Rooster Cogburn (...and the Lady)[*]Three Amigos[*]Tombstone[*]True Grit[*]Unforgiven[*]Westworld[*]Young Guns II
Get Rio Bravo...it's my favorite with the Duke. As for Clint, I enjoyed Fistful more than Good/Bad/Ugly.
There are plenty I don't own yet, and desperately want. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for starters.
I hope this helps. Enjoy!!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
This is a genre with a lot of different styles. It really depends on your taste. I personally don't care for any of the Wayne westerns, nor the singing cowboy (Gene Autry) variety. I do love the following though:

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

The Good, The Bad & the Ugly

High Noon

The Magnificent Seven

Unforgiven

A Fistful of Dollars

For A Few Dollars More

My Darling Clementine

As well as the following which are psuedo-westerns:

Son of Paleface

Support Your Local Sheriff

Support Your Local Gunfighter

City Slickers

Westworld

Blazing Saddles

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Don't forget:
High Plains Drifter
Pale Rider
The Searchers
Stagecoach
in addition to the numerous good suggestions above.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My favourites are For A Few Dollars More, Tombstone and The Quick And The Dead.

Terry H

Second Unit
Several of those already mentioned are excellent but for my money, the quintessential western is Shane.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Don't forget The Gunfighter starring Gregory Peck - excellent flick! I also recommend The Oklahoma Kid starring James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart. It's not especially memorable but I believe it's their only film together so it's definitely worth a look.

Blu

Screenwriter
The Searchers is simply amazing! The DVD transfer is very clean and crisp with bright colors! The story is pure legend!

Ben_S

Agent
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly made me wet my pants. It's the first and only western I've ever seen (impulse buy at Wal-Mart for 9.46). Easily better than 90% of the movies out there. Trust me on this one.

Michael P

Agent
Wa wa wa, wa wa waaaaaa! Wa wa wa wa wa waaaaa!!!

Gotta love The good the bad and the ugly!!!! Also The Searchers, and Silverado!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't forget The Gunfighter starring Gregory Peck - excellent flick! I also recommend The Oklahoma Kid starring James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart. It's not especially memorable but I believe it's their only film together so it's definitely worth a look.
Steve,
First off "The Gunfighter" is perhaps one of the most underappreciated Westerns ever made. This is the film besides "Shane" that truly represents the genre in the classic sense of a gunman trying to forget his past and reputation and start over in life again. That successful portrayal of the lone gunman caused Gregory Peck to make a very bad career decision when he turned the role of Will Kane in a little film called "High Noon".
Now in regard to Cagney and Bogart, they starred in three films together during their Warner days. At that time, Cagney was the star and Bogie the supporting player until he struck gold in 1941 with "High Sierra" and "The Maltese Falcon". Anyhow, the following are the Cagney/Bogart films:
  • Angels With Dirty Faces
  • The Oklahoma Kid
  • The Roaring Twenties
Crawdaddy

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
My Name is Trinity, the whole Trinity bunch of spagetti westerns were pretty funny, not award winning but worth a look.

Favourite is Quigley Down Under and The Quick and The Dead, both versions!

G2

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
In addition to the Clints and some of the Waynes mentioned, you might also try Django with Franco Nero. Great spaghetti western.

Pale Rider is probably my favorite, but High Plains Drifter is up there too, as is Outlaw Josey Wales.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to make a list of ones to rent. If I like any of them, I'll buy the. I can't define my taste in movies, because it ranges from the Adventures of Milo and Otis to Hellraiser to Me Myself and Irene to Star Wars to Akira to Beaches to Enter the Dragon, so I guess I'll have to check out some of the ones mentioned.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
"The Gunfighter" is perhaps one of the most underappreciated Westerns ever made.
That it is. The Gunfighter ranks as one of my favorite westerns. Peck is just superb and I also like Karl Malden's performance as the sycophantic bartender - until I saw this film, I knew him only for his tough guy roles.

Thanks for the Bogart/Cagney info. I completely forgot about Angels With Dirty Faces! :b I haven't seen The Roaring Twenties though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks