What's new

Some "Blade Runner" info from Alan Ladd (producer) (1 Viewer)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Interesting article on Perenchio. What scared me though was this quote:

That pretty much confirms what was said at the beginning of this thread. Dude's got billions and doesn't need anymore money. He just wants to win, so it looks like Ridley Scott, WB, and, most of all, the fans are the ones who are sh-t out of luck here.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Get his mailing address, and FLOOD HIS MAILBOX.

He may want to win, but I'm guessing a whole shitload of letters might MAYBE dent the man. maybe. It's better than nothing.

Do it like Andy Dufresne in Shawshank. Send one a month, every month. It can be the same letter, over and over. You get at least 50,000 people doing that, that's an extra 50,000 pieces of mail, monthly, clogging his P.O. Box. that might do SOMETHING. Maybe all it'll do is cause him to change his address and leave no forwarding, but man, even then, bang his corporate P.O. Box and make sure you stick ATTN: Mr. Perenchio on it.

if you can get 50,000 people to sign an internet petition, that same 50,000 can print out that email, stick it in an envelope and maybe do SOMETHING. Provide him with something to focus on besides a fight with a director he hasn't seen for 20 years.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Exactly what I think. Prepare it now, so that if it's another 20 years before it can be released and Ridley is not with us anymore at least there will be content available that he was involved with. Yes it will cost money with no foreseeable return, but look at how much money studios sink into bad films, T.V. shows and music.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Having started this messy thread, I'd like to add a few new comments and perhaps clarify some of the information I had posted, and throw in a few of my own thoughts.

First off, I think any speculation about Mr. Perenchio's age and his health as far as this release goes is inappropriate, and pretty morbid. I know it's all in jest but that stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and frankly, as a group I think we're better than that.

Haggai asked:

That's exactly what Alan Ladd was saying. Scott hates Perenchio, Perenchio hates Scott, Perenchio keeps Scott from ever getting to put out a version of the film he's happy with, Perencio checkmates Scott.

I hope this clears up some things or at least is of interest to anyone.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
My point exactly when I ask for the release of unreleased catalog titles that are not "unknown". Too bad this man has to Block the release of this very popular film because of some grudge.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I know this is offtopic here, and I apologize for it, but since it seems Mr. De Lauzirika himself is paying attention to this thread, and this being Scott-related, I thought this would be worth a try. I just hope I am not annoying anybody.

But... Mr. De Lauzirika, if you are reading this, any news on the incomplete "Ridleygrams" gallery on the ALIEN extra features disc in the ALIEN QUADRILOGY?

I asked about it at the latests HTF chat with Mr. Staddon, and he was not aware of the problem but said he would look at it.

Is there something being done about it?

Please excuse me again for "derrailing" this thread for a little while.

:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, lets cease with this talk about certain people dieing because it reflects badly on this forum and its members. We should be able to discuss this issue in a professional manner.

Crawdaddy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, after reading this entire thread, I am glad I re-purchased the current DVD. I sold it a few years back in anticipation to the "SE". On any rate, it's all a sad situation. I, too, would like to see Warner remaster the existing version (if they even can legally).

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
I did the exact same thing, myself. The current DVD has fairly shoddy A/V quality and -- as this thread has taught me -- isn't even a real director's cut... but, something is better than nothing for a movie like this, I think.

Kind of like the non-CGI'd Star Wars movies, I'm putting this one on the back-burner of my collecting mind and concentrating on other films already released that I need to grab... lest it bug me too much.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
When Blu-Ray comes out, Warner Bros is going to get angry that they have the legal right to distribute the film, but some guy is keeping them from actually following through with the quality that consumers expect.

Ooh, wait, here's an idea:
We know Pinocchio is a big supporter of Gray Davis, the CA governor (I thought Arnold was governor?). Anyway, Blade Runner is famous for its vision of Los Angeles in the future. Somehow we need to tie in Blade Runner to a future Los Angeles campaign of some kind, so that he'd feel political pressure to let the film out. Ok so this plan is a bit rough around the edges so far...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps this is a good venue to very briefly remind ourslves of what home video versions of this film does exist. My library contains:

1. Criterion Collection laserdisc from 1987. Cat Number: CC1120L 2 disc CAV set, widescreen, Dolby Pro Logic audio, 118 minutes. There is a wonderful suppliment containing many design illustrations by Syd Mead, a fan's notes, and trivia test. This version has the Harrison Ford narration, no unicorn and the upbeat ending. It's also been described to me as a "European cut".

2. Warner Brothers Laserdisc Directors Cut. Program content dated 1991, 1993 by Warner Home Video. Cat Number: 12682 2 disc CAV set, Dolby Pro Logic audio, 117 minutes. This version contains a directors cut labeled as the original cut. There is no Harrison Ford narration, includes the unicorn dream, and removes the tacked on upbeat ending.

3. Warner Brothers DVD Directors Cut. Cat Number: 12682, dated 1996, released in 1997. Content and running time appears to be the same as the laserdisc.

As I am not as well versed with all the history of Blade Runner, my guess of the two versions, Criterion's intent is the theatrical version. The Warner's version is a director's cut. But is it really a director's cut? Does the effort started by Scott intend to alter the cut again?

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can explain more differences, if any. I will be buying the book, Future Noir by Paul Sammon.

Nelson

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Nelson, if I remember right (haven't read the book in a long time) but the book will detail the exact very thing you're posting about. I think there's about 5 or 6 different video releases of this flick, with 3 different cuts of the film floating around.

It's a great read. I remember being disappointed in 98, because Paul Sammon had apparently written a book just as in-depth about the Alien movies, apparently to tie in with the upcoming Resurrection about to be released in theaters. It never shipped. I had a pre-order at Borders for ever, and it was never filled.

Wish I could have read that, but the Quadrilogy seems to have filled that particular need.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "On The Edge Of Blade Runner". I took a look on eBay and saw a few copies out there. Is this a legimate release?

Is this Region 1? Region 0? Thanks.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
On the Edge of Blade Runner is a UK documentary which was rumored to be one of the extras slated for the definitive Blade Runner special edition. It aired on some UK television network.

The ebay copies might be bootleg, I am not sure, as they've all been in PAL format so I haven't bothered with them.

If they are bootleg, then the documentary filmmakers should make an official release as soon as possible - Mr. Pinochet's grasp can't extend to documentaries he didn't finance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks