What's new

Some "Blade Runner" info from Alan Ladd (producer) (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
When did the blocking start?

How did they get away with using an anamorphic transfer for the DVD instead of recycling the letterboxed laserdisc transfer?

Jeannette Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
From what Josh reported in the first post it seems, to quote Josh "Perenchio has the final say over whether or not any new versions of the film can be issued". So that would suggest that Warner CAN release any PREVIOUS version of the film. Also Perenchio would have no say in most extras that were included on any new DVD release (i.e Ridley commentary) and I doubt he has any say in any restoration of the "current" versions of the movie.

So I agree. Why doesn't WB just do a new transfer of any old version of the movie (with DD5.1) add a commentary. Stick the "On The Edge Of Blade Runner" and any other stuff that doesn't require Jerry P's authorization on another disc and release it as a 2 disc SE.

One question I do have ... who let this pinhead get control of this film in the first place?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I had thought the dispute was over the fact that the rights to the original theatrical version were not owned by Warner, and that's what was holding up the release. I was not aware that they couldn't release the new "true" director's cut, only that the original version was being suppressed, perhaps by Perenchio. Confusing.

Sigh; in any case, it is truly a shame that a DVD that so many people would buy (therefore being very lucrative for everyone inlvolved with it) seems to be held up only by a 73-year-old man who is acting like a 5-year-old.

I really hope they get this worked out. I hope they keep trying.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm still going to hold off on buying any version, at least until a better transfer comes along.

What a disaster for a film that many consider a classic.:thumbsdown:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
One wonders how much control Mr Perenchio has over this. Warner Bros OWNS THE HOME VIDEO RIGHTS TO THE FILM. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to continue to distribute the film on DVD.

Maybe it it this way:

Maybe Warner can currently only distribute the so-called 'Director's Cut' on DVD.

Ridley Scott wants to make a NEW 'Director's Cut' - like he has done with Alien.

But maybe Perenchio has the POWER to stop this from happening.

Therefore, Scott isn't as enthusiastic about the Special (Anniversary) Edition of 'his' film.

Therefore, the project is in limbo.

Hubris...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Gordon-

I was under the impression that the new "final" director's cut was already finished, or at least close to being finished. And again, I had thought that the rights dispute was over the video rights to the original theatrical version, which were owned by Embassy at one time (not sure who would own them now).

Warner does retain the rights to the 1992 "director's cut," and I thought they would have the rights to this new cut (apparently they did, too).

But most of what I've heard is probably rumors; they may be wrong. Like I said, though, I just hope this gets worked out.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Scott is a feisty 67 isn't he?

Thank you for your post Josh. It appears our facts are even more diluted than before with Mr. Ladd adding his potpourri of fact and speculation.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Jerry Perenchio is like Castro!

There's a book being worked on by a UC Berkeley professor about the importance of Blade Runner and the value of a new director's cut, so perhaps Perenchio will come to realize that the film has literary value that trumps his own ego.

Here's a plan: Send a copy of the book to everyone he knows. If a hundred of his friends start saying to him, "hey, Jerry, weren't you involved in this film? I'm so excited to hear a new cut is coming" perhaps he'll realize he won the battle but has lost the war.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

No, they own a specific video distribution license. They do not have the blanket ability to do whatever they wish for a video release.

DJ

edited to fix typo

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

They had the ability to do a fresh transfer in 1997. Do they have that ability today?

What about television, like High-Def HBO?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Well goh-lee, who'da thunk it?! :D

Reading that article, Pernechio comes across as an anoymous patron of the arts, yet this Blade Runner debacle sounds more the work of a bitter, selfish ignoramous.

Bryan, I haven't heard of a new cut of BR being completed. Is there a link. My head is so swamped with BR and other info right now that I can't remember what I have read!

Warner have to watch what they say, but I'd like to hear more from then on this. I'm sure they are working hard to get things fixed. I hope things up roses soon.

Blade Runner is a MASSIVELY important film. Only Gance's Napoleon is more important to me on the DVD *Truly* Special Edition front.

Don't let this film be forgotten like tears in the rain, Warner Bros - I know you won't.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I wish there was some peace of mind I could offer this thread, but I can't. I honestly don't know what will eventually happen with any potential BR:SE. It really is a shame. At this point, I can think of no other film more deserving of a full-blown SE DVD than "Blade Runner."

For the most succinct and accurate summation of where things stand with the various legal issues on "Blade Runner," I would say that Damin's post above (#31) is the best.

(Admin. note: As a result of edits to the thread, the post that Charlie has referenced is now #30.)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika

I guess everyone has a different definition of "Special Edition." I always consider a quality transfer to be the most important part of any Special Edition I work on. It's all part of the package. Hence, "full-blown." And in this case, the transfer, the cut, the extras...they're all tied-up in the same legal issues.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
WARNER was able to show the fabled workprint here in Seattle a few years back, which I was lucky enough to see..
Perhaps, if nothing else, a remastered DC + Workprint- 2 Disc set-I know I would be quite content.:)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Some Special Editions have lousy picture and sound.

I'd rather have a fresh high-def-transferred Blade Runner in 5.1 today with no extras than a 'full blown' SE five years from now.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I'm sad that legal issues and right issues are holding up the SE project and making it remain in limbo. I do want to see an SE of Blade Runner very much.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Ridley should just go ahead and make the special edition. Maybe he wouldn't be able to release it, but it would exist, and it would be ready to go when Perenchio is ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks