What's new

Solaris - Am I Alone on This One? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
bought it blind as part of a columbia house fulfillment obligation last year.
absolutely loved it.
in fact, even though it doesn't normally float to the front of my mind very often, i would have to say it was one of the most magical movie watching experiences i've had in a long, loooooooong time.

i was completely enraptured almost from frame 1.
the themes, the execution...everything about the film just hit me where i live.

apart from a little EE the disc is a stellar a/v presentation

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I watched the film at 5am in the morning in somewhat of a dark mood, with the rain tapping on the window outside, much like the scenes in the film. This must've let me appreciate it that much more, as I thought it was wonderful. The idea that we only love the idea of a person in our minds, and can never know the actual person, is a very disturbing notion. The visuals and soundtrack were great, while the acting was excellent (a nice change of pace for Clooney). Commentary on the DVD was superb.

m.cellophane

Agent
Real Name
James
Christ Reynolds wrote:

Christ, we meet again!

I don't think you're alone in not liking the '02 version, but it's cool to see this thread where there are some folks that do. I thought I was one of the few!

Glad to hear you enjoyed '72. :D

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I just picked up the Japanse DTS version. Full Bitrate I believe. It came out in December but is getting repriced on 4/2/04. I'm pretty sure this is it here.

Solaris DTS

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Picked this up last summer and loved it despite the reviews I had read. I skipped it in the theater because of all the negative press....Great movie in my mind though.

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent, excellent film. My PVRs set up to record it in HD sometime over the next week. Can't wait to see it again.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
*nod*

I enjoyed it and bought the DVD, too. Neither my girlfriend nor any of my friends thought it was worth their time. heh heh....

Scott.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
The Tarkovsky version is one of my all-time faves, and turned me on to Stanislaw Lem. When I first heard about a remake--and that it was being produced by Cameron--then that it was being directed by Soderbergh--and THEN that it was starring Clooney...well, I didn't know what to think. But I was optimistic, and felt that Soderbergh did a great job. (Although I can't help but think Lem, who wasn't happy with Tarkovsky's version, was even more disappointed by this one.)
It seems hardly anyone went to see it, and many who did just weren't up for the whole trip. I think the advertising campaign never had a grip on it, although when the DVD came out there were much better ads--I was like 'Now that's what you shoulda said when the movie came out!'
I love Cliff Martinez's soundtrack, too. Just great. I think the current DVD is good, with a nice Soderbergh/Cameron commentary (they seem to get on well enough, despite different sensibilities) but would also love a Criterion-ish special edition. In the commentary, Soderbergh mentions other 'cuts' that he played with, but I'm not too hopeful about seeing much more considering the films performance. I'm just glad to hear so many other positive takes.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I thought the commentary with Soderbergh and Cameron was way better then the movie it self. The russian version is a sure snore fest to me,I tried to watch it at least 3 times, no luck to keep awake.:thumbsdown:

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen the original, but I saw the remake not long after reading the abridged English translation of the novel. I thought Soderburgh did a remarkable job emulating the mood, philosophy, and feelings of the book, considering how "internal" and un-visual the book seemed.

Doug

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I liked the remake, though I don't remember thinking it was outstanding or anything.

I do remember finding the original one of the most dull films I've ever seen. I even had to split it into two nights viewing because I was so bored, I was falling asleep.

Brian

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The soundtrack, as others have mentioned, is wonderful.

I wish i could find more score like this- very smooth and dreamy without the intense action cresendos.

-vince

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Gonna get it now. I've got the original Russian version and look forward to the new release (having never seen it).

-dave :D

p.s. if I get time...I'll post a review (watching on my new BenQ 8700 DLP PJ).

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I thought I'd hate it, and I loved it.

Watch this:

I think it's the best hard sci-fi film to deal with those "more human than human" issues since BLADE RUNNER. It certainly trumps all the pale PKD-themed turkeys out there (MINORITY REPORT, PAYCHECK, etc.).

Ha.

MC

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

With Solaris, your NEVER "alone"!;-)
Beautiful film.
"I" don't believe Clooney was UP too the task.
Everyone & everything else, pulled it off though.
Well worth rewatching, VERY atmospheric!

Is the DVD of the original as beautiful too look at?
Thanks.

Brian

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the DVD last night. The picture quality was very good, especially given how dark the film was shot. The story, on the other hand, was mediocre. I guess was expecting something more than a slow moving Star Trek episode.

-B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks