What's new

software to catalog your dvd collection: Which one do you use? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I use a very simple home brew access database that I created. I just like to have a nice list of what I own. My needs are similar to Aaron's. In fact, I merely did a small modification to a database that I use for my CD collection. It is all very "plain jane".

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

I also used DVDPedia. After researching all the cataloging programs for OSX, it was almost exactly what I was looking for. I also use an Excel Spreadsheet.

Delicious Monster is coming out with a program in a few days called Delicious Library. It looks fantastic, and I may try it as a replacement for DVDPedia. I'm pretty happy with DVDPedia, but Library looks to have some great features.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Excel here too. I am beginning to wonder what everybody is collecting now - that isn't on the cover. I use mine to:

1. Find out how long my movies are in case there is a game on later.

2. List my start-up options - like if I have to go to the audio section in order to get 5.1

3. Find out what slot in my changer it is in.

I missed something, or is this sort of like collecting bubblegum cards? :)

Glenn

StuR

Auditioning
I just downloaded Movie Collector to see how it compared to DVDProfiler (I'm a Profiler premium user). IMHO the information is much too generic that Movie Collector pulls from the different websites it uses for its "database". And the interface is way below par. The user created database that Profiler users is MUCH more detailed and CORRECT. There are many incorrect bits of information on the many sites that Movie Collector polls for its information -- where as Profiler users correct the profile data in its database regularly (when there is not a beta being released of the software like currently updates happen once a week).

Also the point of not being able to import data into profiler's software is that 1) the data inside the database has many people looking over it for corrections so its probably more up to date than what you've got. And the format is different between software and its much more difficult to make converters for everything out there to the profiler software than it is spending that time on making the profiler software better.

Entering DVD UPCS (best way to enter discs into Profiler followed by discID) is a quick and painless option. And downloads to the profiles that you add are also quick. when I added my collection to profiler I was able to do all my discs (I know small at only ~75 at the time) in not even 30min. And being that you can upload one disc, or in batches you upload as you go with ease.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I use DVD Aficionado. I really only use it to show other people my collection and get a rough count of my DVDs.

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to speak for the developers, but if the UPC is there, there's no strong technical reason an import of a listing of just UPC codes wouldn't be feasible. It's matching these IDs to others in the DB and not replacing or updating the information in their database that their other users have updated; in short, it's not rocket science, and it's a good thing for users.

Import routines aren't tricky when you place the onus on the user to verify the information they've imported, especially when you're working with (matching) just one field. And they're less tricky when you go with industry standards (CSV, tab separated text, even XML) and again place the onus on the user or their software to provide things in a proper format. It's a just sloppy and poor to trap people's information in proprietary formats; especially these days.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
DVD Profiler all the way!

Great program, plus being able to print your custom pages of each DVD is a great feature. I used it to make a coffee table book for guest to browse thru and comment on various movies on the list. My only complaints is I wish there was an easy way of adding screen captures to those print outs.

Ozzie

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
The UPC function is one that I have thought about for a long time. I would love to be able to just swipe a DVD and get all the record data into my database. Problem is who has the data source to math the UPC against? If I had that resource I could build this...

My needs are simple as well. The primary use of my database is to generate a list of films, organized by genre and containing OAR and sound information.

That is about all I need 90 percent of the time that I am looking for something to watch :)

StuR

Auditioning
Shaughan -- DVDProfiler does just as you descibed your needs being.

marcus_h -- I found someone on the DVDProfiler forums created a script that would take in a text file of UPCs and load them into DVDProfiler. User (on DVDProfiler forums) FredLooks did the work, www bws com / upcs . zip

[sorry for the odd looking link -- forums software doesnt yet allow me to post links....first two spaces should be periods and the rest deleted for it to work]

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Scott & Chad:

Thanks for the DVDpedia link. I'm digging it, very iTunes-like.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I've been using DVDProfiler for around 4 years now. I tried some of the other software and online systems before and since, but they just weren't as good.

Also, the beta for the next version has better handling of box sets and some new features to basically allow for any type of custom categorizing/filtering that you could want. Being a beta, it's still buggy and not all of the new features have been added, but it's going to be great. Can't wait for it to go final.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
With DVDprofiler you just click on the name or genre and a pop up window appears with the movie listing.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
I finally purchased DVDProfiler yesterday after months of putting it off (using the free version). After doing so I decided to play around with some of the reports and came up with a couple cool (well, at least I think they're cool) things to do with them.

Obviously creating a coffee-table book with all your dvds is nothing new. Well I decided to take things a step further. I downloaded a printer driver that, rather than outputting to the printer outputs whatever you're printing to a jpeg file. I then printed a report so that each page was its own jpeg, saved the images and burned a cd that I can view with my dvd player. The chapter skip button moves between images, with each image being a report page for a specific DVD.

Realizing that this was kind of handy but that I'd have to have that cd in my dvd player just to scroll through my movies (although you don't have to finalize the cd, so you can add new images to the same cd) I just took the saved files, published them so that my Tivo can read them through my home network, and now when I'm looking for a dvd to watch I just bring up the music and photos option on the Tivo and scroll through the report.

All of this was overkill, I know, but I was really bored on my day off and since registering DVDProfile gave me the high quality cover scans I wanted to have some fun. If anyone else is interested in how I did this (being as bored as I was or just for something new to try) let me know and I'll give you more info on how I did it.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I tried out the free version of DVD Profiler, and I really like the functionality. I was wondering if there is any way for other Internet users to view my ratings for my DVDs.

Also, the review function is pretty weak. Even a blockbuster like The Matrix only had about seven user reviews. Is there a cataloging service that has a better review database?

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Brandon,
I've been using Profiler for about a year nad a half now. I love it! been a premium user for about half that time. At this time though, others can't see your ratings, maybe down the line. Also, the review section was never really puched, it all depends on users to add reviews, and most haven't done so.

You should come visit the Profiler forums.

Miki<>C

Agent
I use the free Dvd Profiler and just Started using Dvd Spot but figured why am I wasting time entering all this info again into Dvd Spot when I can easily export all my collection into Dvd Profiler with a click of a button!;)

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
For those still looking around, Clay over at DVD Spot has updated their UI a little bit in the last week, it's now much improved. :) And the export to CSV (Excel compatible) format is handy if you worry about the death of a free service, or want something offline.

Featurewise, of the free web-based services, it's overtaken guzzlefish in my books for ease of DVD tracking (though CDs on GF is still handy). The ratings, filtering & review ability, as well as the stats are all pretty sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks