1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Socal, see Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ray-M, May 31, 2006.

1. Ray-M

Ray-M Active Member

It'll be playing at the Arclight on Wednesday June 7th @ 7pm.
    Go to arclightcinemas.com for more info.

2. Ray-M

Ray-M Active Member

I believe it's now sold out, they removed the buy tickets button.

3. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Well-Known Member

To those people who got tickets, you are very, very lucky. I don't care how stunning the eventual Blu-Ray may be, it can never match a 70mm viewing of this film.

4. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Well-Known Member

I saw this when they released the restored version back in '89 at the Cinedome in Orange. Wow... just wow.

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Well-Known Member

Yes, all you all are lucky. Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm is awesome. Probably one of the best movie experiences I've ever had

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

I saw it in 1989 in 70mm as well (thank you, Mr. Robert Harris). It should also be noted that the film is playing elsewhere in Los Angeles for a one-time screening (Directors' Guild?).

7. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

Lawrence was the first film I saw after moving to California in 1989. One of my greatest ever moviegoing experiences.

8. JediFonger

JediFonger Well-Known Member

man o' man =. i wish they'd do these types of things more. project classics on bigass screens. imho, IMAX would make a killing if they showed epics.

9. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Well-Known Member

LOA also plays at the Los Angeles Museum of Art on Wilshire Blvd. Saturday, June 3 at 7:30 p.m.

I just tried the Arclight's online reservation page. It's giving seating assignments for all sections, so its not sold out yet.

10. Adam_S

Adam_S Well-Known Member

Adam_S
    I'm torn, also on wednesday is Tron in 70mm at the Sam goldwyn, and eleven dollars cheaper than LOA.

hell I'm even more excited for ghostbusters, total recall, sound of music, terminator two, mad max, vertigo and cleopatra in 70mm. coming at the end of this month and into july.

11. Paul Linfesty

The showing at LACMA's Bing Theatre tomorrow of LOA is $9, $5 bucks cheaper than the Arclight's admission.

12. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Well-Known Member

Joseph E Fisher
    Even though it won't be 70MM, "Lawrence of Arabia" will be playing this Sunday June 4th, 2006 at the Jacob Burns Film Center in Pleasentville, NY. The highlight of this afternoon will be the Q&A after the movie with Janet Maslin and HTF member and film preservationist Robert A Harris.

13. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Well-Known Member

Gerardo Paron

Completely in agreement. I just saw POSEIDON in Imax and was blown away by the immersiveness of the experience, and kept thinking how spectacular LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, BEN-HUR, CLEOPATRA, etc. would look in Imax.

14. Ray-M

Ray-M Active Member

Just got back from the screening.Wow! Everyone needs to see it on the big screen at least once.

15. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Well-Known Member

AHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

I missed it several years ago and I fear I will never see it on the big screen.

I live in Texas, but am willing to fly anywhere in the nation to see it...seriously...I have the extra miles...and I missed out on this one....time to check the draft houses schedule again.

16. JediFonger

JediFonger Well-Known Member

justin, i missed it too when it was playing @wang theatre here a few years back. it's just everyone's schedule is so busy they never get around to these grand events.

17. Haggai

Haggai Well-Known Member

Justin, check the listings for the Paramount Theater in Austin, courtesy of its #1 booster on HTF, Nils Luehrmann.

18. andySu

andySu Well-Known Member

The first time I saw “Lawrence of Arabia” in 70mm was 1988, at the Odeon Marble Arch in London, WOW what a spectacular event in image and sound.

I’m a little jealous, because I would have liked to have seen and heard it at the Warner West End in Leicester Square, via the Lucasfilm THX sound system, that was around 1989 I believe, still kicking myself over that.

But at least I got to see it on the largest screen in the United Kingdom in 1988, cheers David and to you to Robert for making Lawrence look and sound better than it was before.

19. Paul Linfesty

Another chance to see LOA in 70mm is on July 2 at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica as part of their 70mm week.