What's new

Soap Operas on DVD (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Regarding DAYS (or others), what I meant was they should do a "best of" by half decade or decade, each with maybe 4-6 hours of story highlights. They just might sell..

It's daunting enough to have 1225 episodes of DARK SAHDOWS on the market, but no one could have 10,000+ shows of a daily soap or course.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see the "Sin Stalker" story from Another World on DVD. I watched this when I was in college in the late '80's and was totally hooked. I especially loved the freeze frames at the end of each episode. Good stuff!

Randy

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
To me, this is absolutely, second only to game shows, one of the best markets for TV on DVD, but the hardest to exploit for the many reasons listed above.

Episodes are missing in many of the series and even if they were not, some of these shows have been running weekly for DECADES. It would just be a monster to release even in small chunks and to do it in larger chunks would be cost prohibitive to the very people who want them the most.

Believe me, I'd kill for an entire run of All My Children as I grew up on that one from the late 70s on, but I have to accept it's pretty unlikely to happen.

BTW, SoapNet WILL be doing a Best of Erica Kane on Saturday, Feb. 12, running for six hours and that will include early eps. Suggest tape decks to be set.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Looks like we will never see soaps on DVD but i would love to see Best-of dvds like they have done for Neighbours and Home & Away. The first series of Emmerdale has been released on DVD in the UK and All Saints in Australia. Would love best of dvd's of Port Charles, Peyton Place, Days Of Our Lives, All My Children, Passions, Sunset Beach etc

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I think the most obvious way to handle soaps on DVD would be either "best of" compilations based on a specific character, a romantic couple or a famous storyline.

part of the problem is that most soaps dno't have enough complete episodes from before the mid to late '70's.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah the main stumbling block with soaps is that of ABC and NBC's archiving wiping policies of the 60's and 70's, (CBS, on the other hand, seems to have done far better with keeping their soaps but exactly how is anyone's guess).

The only shows I am aware of besides Dark Shadows that have enough content from the early years to make a good set are:

Days of our Lives (apparently close to, if not, 100% intact)
Strange Paradise
The Doctors (it appears Colgate-Polmolive saved a hefty sized chunk)
The Young and the Restless

Otherwise, I've no clue

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I would absolutely LOVE a DVD of the best soap weddings. I would think most soaps have saved their wedding episodes and could compile a DVD with those. I would prefer to have them by network, such as Best CBS Soap Weddings. Those would sell well, I think.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Also best of characters sets would be quite cool as well as births, marriages, deaths, departures etc

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
There were a few releases similar to this that came out on VHS in the 90's taken from ABC soaps. In particular it included a profile of AMC's Erica Kane, editions of famous soap weddings and a behind the scenes doc of All My Children. I believe there was also a video release profiling the character of Reva Shane from CBS's Guiding Light.

Perhaps the most obvious idea would be for ABC to expand upon the previous Erica Kane VHS and release a DVD tracing the character's tempestuous life, loves and storylines. This would be the most likely DVD release to do well enough to lead to other soap-related sets. If these releases were done properly and perhaps hosted by the actual actors themselves then that might prompt people to buy them.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Wasn't there a one year DVD set for General Hospital a while back. The whole set seemed insane, but I'm pretty sure I'm not making it up. I think a better idea would be to start a cable network that reruns old soaps. I see no point in this day and age (with TiVo and DVD recorders) to waste an entire channel playing soaps that were shown earlier in the day on the networks.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
You're thinking of the GH late night spinoff Night Shift, which has its first season on DVD. Another soap that is on DVD in complete form is the sitcom Soap, which I heartily recommend.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
You could be right. The only thing I remember about it was it was very big and expensive.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
You were right. The 38th season DVD release of General Hospital was a April's Fool joke from dvdfile.com. in 2004.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I think the best bet for seeing old episodes of soap operas, and game shows for that matter, complete and unedited, is from streaming online. On AOL Video, there's the P&G Soap Channel, which has, since 2006, uploaded over 300 episodes each of Another World, Edge of Night, Texas, and Search for Tomorrow.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Indeed. Streaming the eps online is probably a better bet than waiting around for DVD's. Perhaps the most famous eps from particular storylines or characters would be the way to do that.

TomHU

Auditioning
Certain soaps that have definate endings to stories could well be packaged for sale.

GH - Luke, Scorpio, the Cassadines, and the Ice Princess is a perfect example. It all started with the intro of Alexandra Quartermaine and ended when they left the island. It would probably need to be in two or three sets, but could easily be done.

Edge of Night was another show that it's mystery storylines had definative endings and could be released by sets.

I am not sure all soaps could be so evenly split.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
The only soap with old episodes I'd be interested in is Guiding Light. And those aren't streamed or played anywhere, unfortunately.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Other then Dark Shadows there was a complete series (more or less) release for "Prisoner: Cell Block H" in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks