What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spero D

+1

My favourite routine, funnily enough, was the Mandy Moore- Billy & Lauren routine.

I totally agree....Least favorite for me, and I don't even remember who danced it, was the one where they used the Meatloaf song....don't think I've ever heard Paradise By the Dashboard Lights more badly butchered and misused in my life. Not even in a Karaoke Bar at 1am.

Spero D

Second Unit
Some comments i saw that i agree with.
I find it a little hypocritical and biased on the judges' part that they invited Alex back to Vegas next year because of his injury, but Ashley doesn't get the same courtesy. Throw in all the skewed comments from the judges (praising Jose, no matter how he dances, etc), and they're really getting on my nerves this season.

"""""'''''

Did anybody else notice that Jose wasn't even in the group number, except to push on Cat at the end? He's not even good enough to participate in the group number

"".

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I've just started watching this season and I"ve made my way up to the Top 11 show where nobody was eliminated. I have a few comments so far:

- As opposed to the "worst of" moments where people who clearly shouldn't be dancing are shown for comic effect (which I don't enjoy), I enjoy seeing a few people who have the passion for it, but not the skill.

- I don't like the home visits.

- The top 11 show was a joy to watch.

I do have a question regarding what it means to be a professional dancer. When I think of a show like American Idol, successful singers don't participate in the show because there's no point -- they've already achieved what the show offers, a recording contract. But Alex Wong is a former principal soloist with the Miami City Ballet ("former" only because of SYTYCD). I'd assume that's a pretty prestigious position and with the exception of more eyeballs and possibly winning money, I'm not sure what winning does for him careerwise. Can anyone who follows dance explain it? Are there more prestigious opportunities available for someone like Alex should he win the show? Broadway or Vegas perhaps?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Carl Miller

Quote:

I totally agree....Least favorite for me, and I don't even remember who danced it, was the one where they used the Meatloaf song....don't think I've ever heard Paradise By the Dashboard Lights more badly butchered and misused in my life. Not even in a Karaoke Bar at 1am.

That's not that uncommon. I've seen Bohemian Rhapsody chopped up so badly I considered just skipping it, but the worst thing I've ever seen was season three SYTYCD Australia, where a couple danced to a massacred version of Stairway to Heaven. There is a place in hell for the people who did this.

It was a foregone conclusion that Ashley was done for when she wasn't even able to show up for the performance show to smile and wave. I wonder if she got hurt during the disco routine or the latin routine with Pasha.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

I do have a question regarding what it means to be a professional dancer. When I think of a show like American Idol, successful singers don't participate in the show because there's no point -- they've already achieved what the show offers, a recording contract. But Alex Wong is a former principal soloist with the Miami City Ballet ("former" only because of SYTYCD). I'd assume that's a pretty prestigious position and with the exception of more eyeballs and possibly winning money, I'm not sure what winning does for him careerwise. Can anyone who follows dance explain it? Are there more prestigious opportunities available for someone like Alex should he win the show? Broadway or Vegas perhaps?

Well basically, dancers don't make that much money. Obviously not everything in life is about money, and certainly artists, on average, are after the pursuit of the art itself, and not money. However, money also gives you the freedom to certain things, like start your own studio with less risk, join a studio or dance troupe you might not otherwise join (abroad, usually), or train in other styles.

Specifically with SYTYCD, the prize money is substantial-enough to allow some of these extra curriculars. Further, in seasons where there is a prize of dancing on broadway or in a vegas show, well, that's often "the dream" for many dancers. To go from waiting tables and dancing in your local studio, to dancing on TV with an audience of millions, and on to dancing for Beyonce or Madonna or Celine Dion is pretty stellar. After that, your name will always be at the top of casting directors' lists for dancers. Any movie or TV show with even a little bit of dancing has a high chance of calling you. Look at Heather Morris: cut by the judges just before the live show, went on to dance for Beyonce on her national tour and then on SNL, and now on Glee as one of the most popular characters. You can bet when Step Up 524 (or whatever they are on) is being made, her phone will ring.

So basically, long story short, winning a show like SYTYCD opens near-impossible-to-open doors. Most dancers I know want two things: a stable career doing what they love (ie the periods of starving in a one-room apartment kept to a minimum), and at least some recognition, if not fame. Winning a show like this does both.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
As has been mentioned before in this thread, the contacts you make on SYTYCD can keep you employed for years. I saw Anna crop up on various awards shows between season 3 and now. Same goes for Lauren G, Dom, and practically the entire All Stars cast. And even a recent alum like Nathan Trasoras showed up on Glee in Sue Sylvester's Vogue video.

The biggest contact you can make right now is Adam Shankman. Not only does he produce movies (many of which needs dancers), he also produces awards shows like the Academy Awards. Whenever he hangs out the HELP WANTED sign, you can bet that the SYTYCD contestants are first in line.

And while being a principal soloist for the Miami City Ballet is prestigious, I don't think it pays all that well (correct me if I'm wrong, Josh). And for someone like Alex, who seems to want to dance in front of millions of people, it's also not a lot of exposure.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

That's not that uncommon. I've seen Bohemian Rhapsody chopped up so badly I considered just skipping it, but the worst thing I've ever seen was season three SYTYCD Australia, where a couple danced to a massacred version of Stairway to Heaven. There is a place in hell for the people who did this.

Hanson, I think that would have made my head explode to hear Stairway all butchered up...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh, another week, another contestant on the sidelines.

Jose was the weakest tonight, he had one number choreographed around his lack of dance training/technique, and was sloppy in his mano-a-mano paso with Adechike.

Adechike had 1 number that was really good: the hip-hop number with Comfort, while his duet with Jose was lumbering and plodding at times.

Robert had 2 above average numbers, though he was getting over-pimped by the judges, especially since they didn't even point out that he almost screwed up swinging Lauren around in their samba.

Lauren is simply fun to watch, but the judges went out of their way to downplay her in the salsa number a bit, but she had a good number with Twitch and the hip-hop number.

Kent was good in the number with Kathryn, but I was too distracted by Kathryn to take in much of Kent's contribution in the number. I thought he was over-praised for the stepping number with Twitch as he seemed to lack that hard stacatto-ness to his movements, so it looked a little soft and mushy in spots.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Oh, another week, another contestant on the sidelines.

Jose was the weakest tonight, he had one number choreographed around his lack of dance training/technique, and was sloppy in his mano-a-mano paso with Adechike.

Adechike had 1 number that was really good: the hip-hop number with Comfort, while his duet with Jose was lumbering and plodding at times.

Robert had 2 above average numbers, though he was getting over-pimped by the judges, especially since they didn't even point out that he almost screwed up swinging Lauren around in their samba.

Lauren is simply fun to watch, but the judges went out of their way to downplay her in the salsa number a bit, but she had a good number with Twitch and the hip-hop number.

Kent was good in the number with Kathryn, but I was too distracted by Kathryn to take in much of Kent's contribution in the number. I thought he was over-praised for the stepping number with Twitch as he seemed to lack that hard stacatto-ness to his movements, so it looked a little soft and mushy in spots.
I've only watched this show the past 2 seasons, so I don't know if the judges pimping Robert is standard practice or not, but it's completely overboard, obvious and annoying. I agree he's an outstanding dancer, but...I've really enjoyed the dancing this season and kind of like the format with the all-stars, but the judging is just awful. Robert can't do anything wrong, Kent was going to get major praise for the step number no matter what he did short of falling flat on his face, Lauren was garaunteed to be ignored while they pimped Robert, and you know that even if he makes it past this week, that Jose is from here on in going to get this 'you've got personality but...." critique until he gets bounced.

And yeah, Kathryn is very distracting. Even more so than last year.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Jose should get the "you've got personality but..." critique each week because while he's a good dancer, he's not on the level of the rest. He knows it. The judges know it. The people voting for him probably know it.

If I were king for a day:

5. Jose

4. Adechike

3. Robert

2. Lauren
1. Kent

I'd possibly swap Adechike and Robert, and, less likely, possibly swap Lauren and Kent. That's who I'd pick, not who I think America will pick. Kent actually amazes me in terms of what he can do at his age. I try not to get into the, "aw shucks, golly gee" routine too much and just enjoy the dancing. Lauren can dance Tahitian dances until the lights go out as far as I'm concerned.

The injury bug has been crazy this season. They're going to bring in someone to help with proper stretching? Football teams do this when they have a rash of injuries. I've never seen any indication it has a significant impact. Not because streteching isn't good, but because most pros already do it. The real problem is people pushing themselves beyond their physical limits. The judges want the dancers to take more and more risks, and take on more and more difficult routines.

So, while I was crushing on Courtney (yet again), I googled a bit to see what she's been up to. Apparently she's been on Glee in a few episodes as a member of Vocal Adrenalin. How in the world did I miss that? Especially since I keep thinking she should be an actress because I never get tired of looking at her. It's enough to make me want to be reincarnated as a Jonas Brother. Anyway, I still had the Glee finale on DVR, so I went back and looked. It's a non-speaking blink and you'll miss it apperance. I don't know if she has the chops yet, but she has mentioned wanting to be a triple threat (singing, acting, dancing).

It makes me a little uncomfortable when Nigel talks about the contestants outdancing the all-stars. The all-stars aren't there to be critiqued and although it's stated as a contestant compliment, it ends up being a negative comment about the all-stars. I much prefer when they say "You held your own" or "You danced as well as".

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I just finished the results show and now I'm all caught up with this season. Jose may not be as well rounded of a dancer as the rest, but he did some incredible moves in his solo. I can remember back in the day when Rocky did his 1-armed pushups and all the macho men imitated. Jose effectively did 1-armed pushups with no feet on the ground and his body completely vertical. That's some strength.

I didn't understand the explanation given for why no one was eliminated. I guess if there are 4 people on the panel and 2 want one to go and 2 want another to go, they're deadlocked unless someone can be convincing enough to break the deadlock. I can imagine some don't want Billy to go because he's a talented dancer, but I'd also imagine (as Nigel said), some don't take too kindly to his decision not to dance after the doctors cleared him. Even though Jose isn't the best dancer, why should he be eliminated in a week where at least he keeps plugging along while Billy decided to take a break.

I enjoy seeing the SYTYCD alumni in the audience shots. The most recent results show had Brandon in the audience.

It looks like Katee Shean was also on an episode of Glee in an uncredited role. It probably was non-speaking. Good for her that she got that opportunity, but I'd rather see her come back and perform on SYTYCD. According to her twitter page, though, she seems to be keeping quite busy.

EDIT: Typos

Janiece805

Auditioning
Real Name
Janine Smith
Is it just me or does anyone else not get the appeal of adechike? to me hes not that great of a dancer and does not have a personality, yet week after week hes never in the bottom 3, judges don't seem to like him to much either, in fact i know they would have sent him home, this week had he been in the bottom 3, what America's fascination with him?!?!?

Spero D

Second Unit
I am out of this season. No one left of interest for me this season. Also next season I hope they go back to the old format.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I think Adechike is a good dancer, and has done some good work on the show. I'll admit, though, that everytime I see him I think Kenny from the Cosby Show (Rudy's friend) grew up to be a dancer. One more comment on the dancing... that tumbleweed thing Lauren did in her wild west hip-hop routine was pretty awesome.

Alex should be given a Season 8 ticket to Vegas right now. No audition. No nothing. Just straight to Vegas.

Nigel wants to fly out some steppers from some University to be on the show, but it's not in the budget? Put on your thinking cap, Executive Producer. What University wouldn't want their stepping team showcased on national TV? Let the school know you'll showcase the steppers if they can come up with the money to help offset the costs. Certainly a fundraiser, booster donations, or even the dancers themselves kicking in could have addressed this.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Quote:

Jose should get the "you've got personality but..." critique each week because while he's a good dancer, he's not on the level of the rest. He knows it. The judges know it. The people voting for him probably know it.
I agree Mikah....And Robert should get the "you've got great technical skills but lack personality...." response each week, but he doesn't. They stopped critiquing his personality a few weeks ago after initially saying he doesn't connect with the viewers. This despite the fact that he again ended up in danger this past week until the results show, when suddenly Nigel says he has stopped growing.

I'm just quibbling Mikah, and really I enjoy the show....However, the judging is one aspect of the show I find annoying because it makes the show appear heavily manipulated and the outcome pre-determined.

My guess is that Lauren, Robert and Kent are the last three standing....Lauren won't win, because you can almost see in the judges comments that she's being reduced to an ass shaker....The only question is whether Robert wins despite his alleged lack of personality or Kent wins despite being a bit goofy.

Oh, and thank you for the Kenny reference from the Cosby Show. That's so spot on!

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Spero D

I am out of this season.

Me too, but not because of the dancers but because of the screaming. Last year, they seemed to turn the crowd mics off, but this year they are back up and in full volume. Half the time you can't even hear the music. They were actually screaming during a ballet for crying out loud. Who in their right mind screams at people dancing? And God forbid if there is ANYTHING sexual in the dance. It's like a crowd of preteens. Utterly ridiculas.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought it was funny that the number with Robert and Lauren G. used the song from the infamous "Showgirls" pool scene.

Robert had some noticeably awkward partnering moments towards the end of his samba with Lauren. It looked like he was losing steam.

The paso with Jose and Adechike was sloppy all around.

Generally I just enjoy watching women dance more than men, so that doesn't leave me with many contestants to cheer for. Fortunately Lauren has been doing well enough to be deserving of it.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Is it the Showgirls pool scene? I was pretty sure it was the Showgirls scene in the "back room" where Gina Gershon purchases a lap dance for Kyle MacLachlan.

Luckily I enjoy watching men and women dance, for different reasons. With men, I appreciate the athleticism involved. With women, I appreciate the beauty and graceful movement involved. In both cases I enjoy the personality, expressiveness, and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of right now.

I've really been surprised at how well Kent dances. I didn't really notice him until Alex left because Alex was just.. well, stellar. That said, watching Kent do anything even slightly urban is somewhat painful for me. I did not like his performance of the stepping routine. And him doing hip hop to me is like Gregory Hines doing ballet. Well, when he was alive.

I have a slight correction to an earlier post. I said Alex should go straight to Vegas next season. That's not enough. He should go straight to the Top 10. Of course the way the show is structured, he'll have to go through the motions because who knows... there could be 10 dancers better than him next season. Elephants could fly too.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You're right! Somehow, that makes it worse. :)

Is it the Showgirls pool scene? I was pretty sure it was the Showgirls scene in the "back room" where Gina Gershon purchases a lap dance for Kyle MacLachlan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks