What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The individual results section just felt incredibly long and drawn out. Tedious, especially the Nigel in the country schtick. It also felt unnecessarily manipulative and overdramatized to do it with the families.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

The individual results section just felt incredibly long and drawn out. Tedious, especially the Nigel in the country schtick. It also felt unnecessarily manipulative and overdramatized to do it with the families.

It was certainly drawn out. However, I think having some sort of support with them (friends, family, their own home, etc) prevented any real emotional meltdowns. Of course, who knows what was edited out, but it didn't seem like any rejected dancer resorted to begging, or a tear-stained plea that "they really want it." At first I thought it was almost cruel to deliver the bad news in front of their friends and family, but then I changed my mind.

One thing I would like to see, though it doesn't seem like we'll get it, is to bring back Melissa (the "naughty ballerina") to partner with Alex Wong, even if it is only in the showcase rounds (tonight, or the finale).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

This might be the first time ever on either SYTYCD or AI where I agree with 100% of the top whatever. As long as the format doesn't let it down, this might be one of the best seasons.

I'll miss the old format because I enjoyed watching chemistry develop weekly from a good, fortunate pairing. Now, each dancer will just have to hope their all-star can fake enough chemistry to get them through to the next week.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
So it looks like there are two narratives leading to the finals this season -- Alex's "his personality grows each week" and Kent's "country bumpkin David vs Goliath". Personally, I have no problem with Alex's "personality" when he dances, because I love the intensity he displays. It's the same when Danny Tidwell danced in season 3. I'm sure Alex will figure out how to smile for votes as the season goes along.

So much eye-candy this season -- all the girls have rockin' bods. They're all hot in varying degrees, but Lauren, the sole blonde in the group, is especially smoking hot (even if she dislikes "dancing with Koreans"). The tapper girl is gorgeous, but something about the way she carries herself and the way she dresses and turns me off a little. Alexie reminds me of Nancy Kwan. BTW, I'm pretty sure Lauren didn't say "dancing with Koreans", but that's totally what it sounded like.

I agree with Josh that this was a satisfying group. Sure, there's still some fodder mixed in:

But I actually like all of them. Not a Twitch in the bunch.

My guess as to why Anthony didn't make it is because they wanted to save him for next year so there wasn't such a huge logjam with Billy, Alex and Kent taking so much attention. And even though he dances dynamically, he's got a bit of a Droopy Dog personality, so he would have been really lost in the wash this season.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder how the partner rotations will work out. There are 11 contestants (5 girls, 6 guys) and 12 all-stars (6 girls, 6 guys). Does this mean one all-star gets a bye week? It almost seems like a setup to bring in a surprise 12th contestant.

Guess we'll find out tonight...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo
BTW, I'm pretty sure Lauren didn't say "dancing with Koreans", but that's totally what it sounded like.

Yeah, she said "dancing with the curtains," but it definitely sounded like "Koreans." :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Huh. I didn't hear "Koreans" at all.

I'm curious to see how Melinda does. I'm feeling pretty "meh" about Lauren. I appreciate and get what she did in her solo, but it didn't really do anything for me. Actually I was starting to wonder if she'd be able to do anything "not sexy."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Melinda is like a melding of Jennifer Connelly and Demi Moore, it's weird, but very easy on the eyes.

I found most of the 4-somes and 3-somes dance numbers very distracting to watch.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm confused by the "now in HD" comments. I've been watching since season 5 and it's never looked up-rezzed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In past seasons, I remember one camera was up-rezzed because it had the jaggies when it went into a close-up of the judges

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Billy is the gayest contestant the show has ever had. And that's saying something considering this is SYTYCD. Billy Bell is powered by rainbows. If I had to pick one dancer in the entirety of the performers to single out, it would have to be Mark Kanemura. He oozes presence and charisma. The finalists for season 4 should have been Joshua, Katee, Mark, and Chelsie. Twitch and Courtney? Whaaa? Should NOT have happened. Nappy Tabs did the best job of showcasing the contestant in their hip hop number for Jose. He was clearly up front and center here, and I was surprised that the rest of the choreographers gave so much time to the all-stars instead of the contestants. The two worst examples were the Jason's salsa with Cristina, Pasha, & Anya. Cristina got eaten alive by Pasha and Anya. It was like watching a little kid dancing with her parents. It's not that she was bad, it's just that she couldn't hold a candle to Pasha & Anya. The other misfire was Sonya's routine, where Ashley looked so much like Courtney that I couldn't tell who was whom. This does not bode well for Ashley. Alexie has the best legs and ass in the contest. Bar none. Just phenomenal. For the first time since I've been watching, I like all the dancers this year, which is to say that none of the dancers turn me off. Well, maybe Melinda a little. "I am my own creation". Whatever, hippy. But aside from that minor glitch, I don't watch any of the dancers and go, "I ugh -- I hate this kid" like I always do. The only dancers I hate this year are in the all-stars, and while I don't think Comfort is talented enough to hang with the rest of the crew, Twitch is the only dancer is dislike seeing. Tyce is such an awful choreographer. Just 4 people randomly dancing around. It lacks any cohesion or purpose. Whenever I see a group number where everyone is just flailing about independantly, I know it's a Tyce routine. I loooved the opening Robeson piece. That was the highlight of the night for me. That was one of the weakest Mia pieces -- while I liked some of the things Billy was doing, it was too literal (kid, adult, old man) and felt like they were taking turns and not dancing as a group. People liked Ade in the Mia Michael's routine? All I saw was a Michael J Fox impersonation with a prop cane. Mia gave Ade less to do than Cedric. The Travis piece came in second, but Mark and Kathryn were the ones to watch -- Lauren and Kent took a back seat.

French Stewart & Billy Bell I did this SAB in season 5, but Billy is really Frenching it up this year.

Celine Dion & Melinda

Sonya has Robert ready to fight the Army of Darkness
Flavor Fav & Adechike
Michelle Kwan & Alexie Chelsea Clinton & Cristina I guess if this dance thing doesn't work out, Kent can move to NY and become an NBC page. And Kenneth isn't gay either! (wink wink)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was a little nervous for Kent when Cat came back to the "I'm single" comment.

Was he going to come out on national TV?

Then I was a little grossed out by his mom comment.

:)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I really enjoyed the showcase night.

The Wade Robson piece, as always, was great. He's easily the best choreographer on the show, even if some of his pieces are a little too esoteric or "out there" for most. There was one part in particular, where the female dancers were "revealed" by the parting of groups of male dancers, that was just amazing.

Travis' Paris routine was another highlight of the night, where everything just came together in one nice piece (or a couple nice pieces, if you include Lauren and Kathryn). Kent and Lauren are FAR more mature than last season's Nathan and Mollee.

The Sweet Charity routine from Tyce was alright, but very plain. I can honestly say I spent more time just checking out the eye-candy, than actually watching the dancing.

Tabitha and Napoleon did a good job showcasing Jose in their hip-hop number, and I immediately got the "initiation" vibe, so kudos. My only complaint is that I would like to have seen a "battle" between Jose and each crew member, instead of just a single duel. The hoodie-removal was cool.

The samba was fantastic. Maybe even better than the Wade Robson routine in terms of choreo. While Pasha and Anya definitely overshadowed Christina, I don't agree with Hanson that she got eaten alive. I thought she did quite well in the side-by-sides with Anya (aka the shake your money-maker parts), but for obvious reasons I was watching Anya more. Christina did have lazy feet, however, especially on the hops where her feet barely left the ground. Still, Jason Gilkison delivered a very impressive three-person samba, and it told a story well.

Mia Michaels' contemporary was way too first-year university. In fact, I literally saw a routine almost like this at the University of Calgary, back when my girlfriend was a dance student there. There was even a toy truck. Pedestrian, a waste of Alex and Billy's talent, and a waste of Ade's time.

Sonya's routine closed out the show, and it was decent. However, they really have to stop calling her "jazz," and she hasn't done a truly jazz routine since her first season on the show. She's contemporary--I suspect it's just not edgy and cool enough a term for her. The routine was entertaining enough, but I felt like we were watching the Neil show for the greater part of it. Hopefully if this happens frequently (choreographers showcasing an all-star, either by accident or by design), which I suspect it will, it doesn't take votes away in the process.

I also didn't understand the HD comments at all. This show has been in HD for years, and has looked amazing the entire time.

The new director was a welcome change, and I noticed it immediately during the Wade Robson opener. There were only a handful of shots where I couldn't see some of the action (most notably at the end of the Travis routine), and only about five times where we were "treated" to shots of the judges' reactions, instead of the dancing itself. Also gone were the 360 degree pans and Dutch angles. God, I hated how much Dutch angles were in the last few seasons: every.single.shot.tilted.

A great start to the performance part of the show.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Tabitha and Napoleon did a good job showcasing Jose in their hip-hop number, and I immediately got the "initiation" vibe, so kudos. My only complaint is that I would like to have seen a "battle" between Jose and each crew member, instead of just a single duel. The hoodie-removal was cool.

I think the issue here is that Dom is a BBoy, but Twitch and Comfort are not. Twitch doesn't perform flares and other tricks and Comfort appears to mostly do booty pops (which Jose did perform). So I think there were duels there, just not breakdance duels.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I think the issue here is that Dom is a BBoy, but Twitch and Comfort are not. Twitch doesn't perform flares and other tricks and Comfort appears to mostly do booty pops (which Jose did perform). So I think there were duels there, just not breakdance duels.

That's true. Comfort's booty pops were quite good...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Lauren looked like someone and it was bugging me all last night and I finally figured it out:

It's Kelly Clarkson!

BTW Josh, did you actually also hear "Koreans" or were you being sarcastic? I can't tell sometimes.

Cameron, I wasn't the only one who heard "Koreans". My wife heard it and there was a small discussion on another board about it.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

BTW Josh, did you actually also hear "Koreans" or were you being sarcastic? I can't tell sometimes.

I definitely heard "Koreans," but the camera was swooping past her and showed the curtains, and I immediately knew what she had actually said. There was a split second, though, where I thought "daaaaaaamn."

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

Mikah WAS replying to Josh's post, which was RIGHT ABOVE HIM.

I guess something went flying over your head.

body{cursor: url(http://www.123cursors.com/freecursors/9260.ani); }

Hansom, I'm getting sick of your crap every time I post something. Keep it up and I will start reporting your posts!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oh, I know a lot of people heard it (I was made aware of it on ew.com's blog or something like that). I just wasn't one of them.

Cameron, I wasn't the only one who heard "Koreans". My wife heard it and there was a small discussion on another board about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks