What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Any thoughts on Ellen's performance? It may seem harsh, but I had a hard time watching it, perhaps because one of the best - if not the best - routine of the season got watered down so heavily and even then was a little mushy in its excecution.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the Ellen SYTYCD performance much more than any Ellen moment on American Idol. Ellen was doing what she does -- performing -- as opposed to judging other performers. She's like those of us who dance because we enjoy the feeling of moving to the music. And she's self-aware enough that she's not another Nigel who actually think's he's good enough to warrant watching.

Ellen certainly cannot meet the technical standards of the dancers on the show (age and lack of training will do that), but she has the love of dancing and ability to share her joy with her audience in spades. She's a a comedian, and it was kind of funny. I didn't think she'd be able to pull it off even as well as she did. If she'd have made a gaffe, I'd just have smiled and pulled for her even more.

What I could have done without was Mary Murphy on the panel. I haven't missed her screaming. Also, I think she and Mia really don't click. With everyone else, Mia jokes around, etc. But when Mary talks, she just politely waits until it's over.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I was mildly entertained by Ellen up until the end where she bailed out on basically the 2nd half of the original performance. I guess it should be expected since she's got about as much dance experience as I do, but if she's going to take on such an unforgettable dance routine, there's going to be the expectation that she do the whole thing. Oh well.

The thing I really enjoyed was the dance routine by Quest, which Hok, from a previous season, is a member of. Really incredible moves in that routine, some of which looked spectacularly painful to pull off.

I guess they just could not resist bringing Mary Murphy back for one last scream-a-thon. What was more interesting was how tight and absolutely featureless her face was from all the botox she's been injecting. Her skin looked like a rubber balloon.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I finally got to see the entire show last night (I set my DVR for the 9-10pm hour and didn't think of expanding it to 2 hours for the finale -- and yes, I set all of my programs manually).

I am usually excited to see Quest because of the SYTYCD alums that are part of it (Dom is/was in Quest as well), and I am usually disappointed -- a few cool tricks here and there, but lots of slack time and boring choreo supporting it. But I guess they're gotten a real choreographer, because that was freakin' awesome! I loved it, although I have to say I loved the epic opening number choreographed by LXD even more. The opening number was the best thing ever, and that's saying a lot on this show -- between Mia and Wade Robson, there have been a lot of amazing group numbers, but this was my favorite.

I thought Ellen did a great job, all things considered, and yes, it was more entertaining than her entire Idol tenure (then again, her stint on Idol was less entertaining than a Hannah Montana marathon). That said, I would have liked a repeat of the original routine instead (I have it saved on my DVR as well).

And the five minutes of Mary Murphy showed exactly why I was glad to see her go. Holy shit, I really wanted to reach through the screen and punch her in the face. What a goddamn harpy.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

The opening number was the best thing ever, and that's saying a lot on this show -- between Mia and Wade Robson, there have been a lot of amazing group numbers, but this was my favorite.

I agree it was amazing. It's in my top five for sure, though my personal favourite group number has to be Wade Robson's Ramalama from season 2, his Aha routine from season 6, or the Fame routine from this season. In particular, the Fame number was amazing for how the choreography, coupled with the camera angles, made it actually look like the dancers were appearing from nothingness. Wade's numbers can be a little hit-or-miss sometimes with the audience (though I suspect a lot of his misses are when he gets too esoteric), but when he's on, he's on.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Quote:

Originally Posted by PS Nystrom

Way to go, Lauren!

I hate being a hater, but what a lousy ending. Robert got the opportunity for a nice goodbye speech, Lauren was given a chance, but didn't seem to have anything prepared, and poor Kent was given no face time for coming in second. I also would have loved to hear some judges reactions to the results. But it was just, "The winner is Lauren... GOOD NIGHT!" I wanted more!
Yes, I was annoyed by that as well. I think it was Cat who asked Lauren if she had anything to say, Lauren said she had a lot to say, and that was it. It didn't seem like she was given any opportunity to say anything at all.

Very happy to see Lauren win. Best dancer, best personality by far....she really went a long way from what I think was her first weeks performance when the judges pretty much blaster her for saying "thank you" in response to their negative critique of her performance.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Blame the show director, and producers, and that stupid Ellen Degeneres dance number for the lack of time at the end. Then again, while these contestants can dance up a storm, sometimes their on-the-spot interviews lack polish of solid public speakers (I'm look at you Kent). But I still would have rather heard from both Kent and Lauren at the end than endure that Degeneres dance number.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Except the Ellen Degeneres dance number had nothing to do with the lack of time. That number was planned. When you're running a live show, you have certain marks you have to hit. So, for instance, you say "Ellen Dance Number" from minute 45 to minute 50. If it doesn't start at minute 45, you know you're running late. I doubt Ellen's number ran any longer than was planned for. So the lack of time at the end was either due to poor planning or poor execution elsewhere.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You miss my point, Ellen's number was unnecessary (except to push the dizzyfeet concept). If I wanted to see dancing with the stars, I'd flip the channel to ABC.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
To me it seemed like a combination of the show being crunched for time and the crowd not quieting down enough to let Lauren say anything. If Cat had busted out a "shut the f*** up" maybe she would have had her chance. ;)

Lauren said she had a lot to say, and that was it. It didn't seem like she was given any opportunity to say anything at all.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Actually, didn't Lauren say something like "I have a lot to say, but for now I'll just say thanks!" ?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
C: Is there anything you'd like to say sweetie?

L: Well, there's a ton of things I'd like to say...

[Crowd cheering]

C: But no one can hear you!

L: Thank you!

C: Just a giant thank you.

Frankly, her dousing herself in Gatorade and the overall joy she showed during the closing credits said more than she could have in words.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
She did it to herself. The dancers were all huddled around her and then she stepped out with the opened bottle and poured it over her head.

EDIT: I think maybe that was supposed to be a rhetorical question. :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

To me it seemed like a combination of the show being crunched for time and the crowd not quieting down enough to let Lauren say anything. If Cat had busted out a "shut the f*** up" maybe she would have had her chance. ;)
Cat's outburst is hysterical. I had never seen that before. And you are right. Lauren's joy of winning said it all just as well.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
and poor Kent was given no face time for coming in second

I've been looking for dialogue on this but have not seen any...

I noticed after the winner was announced Kent was led off stage obscured by a large bundle of roses. I found that odd and would have expected him to just stand out of shot. And when all the dancers came out to congratulate Lauren I'm pretty certain he wasn't there. We watched the ending twice (the second time mainly to find out how Lauren got all wet, but I also watched for Kent at the end).

I haven't been following the gossip but I've heard that Kent was expected to win due to the mass of screaming tweens that seem to follow him. Lauren's elation at winning seemed to confirm that she didn't expect to win, and Kent's disappearance tells me he expected to win.

FYI - I'm not a watcher of this show but I've had it on for the kids the last couple of weeks when I noticed Mary wasn't a judge anymore (having to listen to her the one time I tried watching previously killed all interest in the show for me).

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I noticed that Kent didn't come back out on stage too. Like you, Paul, I'm not a regular watcher of the show either. But I did watch this season since Kent lives nearby. The community and surrounding area really rallied around him during the season and gave him a great welcome home this past Saturday.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I noticed it also, but have no idea whether there's anything to it. I certainly expected him to win, and I think most people did as well based on the reaction he seemed to be getting from all the screaming girls.

My guess would be that he expected to win because people were probably pointing out to him how popular he was. If he surfed the web and was in any way interested in reading public reaction to the show, he probably would have read a whole lot of prediction that he would win. I actually haven't read a word about his reaction and was a little surprised by that. I pretty much expected to see him doing interviews and such.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I found this song really annoying when it was first used in the competition, then I slapped my forehead when it got the response it did. That said, I think the recorded version is less insipid, but that's not saying much. Anyway, it's here now because some of our favorite dancers are in it, albeit mostly relegated to the background.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks