What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 10 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Paul was having so much in his solo, that I had fun. Fik-shun with Whitney doing the foxtrot. I remain impressed by what he's done coming from street dancing background. He's a better all around dancer than Cyrus was. And he was competent in this routine. But he didn't quite know how to act in this routine. His happy-smiley personality works against him in what could be a sultry role.Hayley's solo. Good. Jasmine, hurricane dance, by Tyce. Something about the setup pushed me out if it emotionally and I saw it too clinically. I need to rewatch later. Aaron's solo. I realize we never see him tap. He's good.Amy. Bollywood. I don't like SYTYCD two-person Bollywood. They should be big ensemble routines. But it's the best I've seen this season.Jasmine had the contest-winning dances tonight. I'm torn between jasmine and Amy. I lean back towards jasmine tonight.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Paul and Hayley paired. Super dance.Amy and Fikshun doing a hip hop. Hayley had maybe a better "swag", but Amy was killing it in places. Some moves and hits were jaw dropping. But this story....oh silly women, always out clothes shopping and spending their men's money...ugh, pretty terrible.Jasmine and Aaron. That was a neat routine. Jasmine struggled a bit with the hip hop moves, but holy smokes those moves! Aaron, such a great partner. Interesting that this got a standing O from the judges but Amy and Fikshun didn't. Like I said, the choreography and song can make or break the dancers. And the top four...Amy, JasmineAaron, Fik-shunWow.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Josh Dial said:
Most memorable in the entire history of the show? That's objectively wrong :)
How is that objectively wrong?

Do you remember every Kanemura/Hightower routine?
Not every season was this format either. Where the top 20 danced with each other. Cause if you remember, seasons have gone with 10 dancers right into "all star pairings"(I''m not counting those. I'm also not counting the Amy/Travis dance).

If you also remember, Marko/Melanie had a serious dud.

Looking back at other seasons...how many other contestants danced with each other as much as they did...and as well as they did?

Short list.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Off the top of my head, Mark & Chelsie and Joshua & Katee each had more memorable dances than Fik-Shun and Amy (also, season 4 was the best, even with goddamn twich). Fik-Shun hasn't had a single stand-out routine all season, while Amy has been much better paired with All Stars.

Mark & Chelsie had the Bleeding Love hip hop (which is an all time classic), an Argentine Tango, and a Mia Michaels contemporary in their bag. Josh and Katee -- No Air, Hometown Glory, and the Bollywood that started it all (and is still arguably the best they've ever had on the show). Absolutely nothing Fik-Shun and Amy did as a pair touch any of these routines.

IMO!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I agree with Hanson (though I like tWitch). Without thinking too hard on it, I don't think I would even put a Fuk-Shun/Amy routine in my personal top 20. Here are the ones I can think of off quickly (I acknowledge I'm not keeping it within couples, by Hanson captured my thoughts on that):

[*]No Air (maybe the best ever?)
[*]Bleeding Love (maybe tied with No Air? Remember this was a week one routine!)
[*]My Chick Bad (love or hate tWitch, this routine was killer)
[*]Dhoom Tanna (Joshua/Katee Bollywood)
[*]The Chairman's Waltz (the flower and bird routine from Wade Robson, with Hok and Jaimie)
[*]Mad World (Ade and Billy, homeless man and business man)
[*]Hip Hip Chin Chin (Lacey and Danny's samba--one of the best sambas)
[*]Gravity (Mia's "addiction" routine with Kayla and Kupono)
[*]Hallelujah (Alex and Allison)
[*]Power of Love (Tiffany and Ade)
[*]Calling You (the bench routine, with Travis and Heidi--that's how you end a routine!)
[*]Love Lockdown (Phillip and Jeanine)
[*]Silence (the "Will needs to go to the gym more" routine, with Will and Jessica)
[*]A Los Amigos (Chelsea and Joshua, the table and chair routine, one of the hottest Argentine Tangos ever)
[*]Mercy (the door routine, with Katee and tWitch)
[*]Wicked Game (Travis and Amy from this season--showcases just how much Fik-Shun was holding Amy back)
[*]2 Steps Away (Legacy and Kathryn)
[*]Turn to Stone (Statues, with Melanie and Marko)
[*]Dreaming with a Broken Heart (the bed routine, with tWitch and Kherington)
[*]Medicine (Tucker and Robert from this season)
[*]I Got You (Melanie and Marko--I think Melanie locked the season up with the kiss)
[*]Bang Bang (No, this one is my all-time fav, with Eliana and Alex--the normally loud and obnoxious audience was completely silent the entire time)
[/list]

And for group numbers:

[*]Ramalama Bang Bang (Wade Robson--maybe the best ever?)
[*]Aha (Wade Robson museum)
[*]Cobrastyle (Wade Robson kidnapping Nigel)
[*]Every Little Thing She Does it Magic (Mia, Alice in Wonderland routine)
[*]One (Mia, mirrors routine)
[*]Architect of the Mind (office workers by Christopher Scott)
[*]Comanche (Wade Robson jazz club tables)
[/list]

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was talking "body of work". Many if the top 20 "best" above...How many are the only time the two danced together? Plenty.I'm talking BODY OF WORK BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
schan1269 said:
I'm talking BODY OF WORK BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE.
I realize that: hence my disclaimer. In any case, as Hanson said, Katee/Joshua and Mark/Chelsie had more memorable routines as a couple.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't think it's possible for Fik-Shun and Amy to have that many memorable routines because of this one fact: Fik-Shun isn't that great out of his style. He is better than Cyrus, certainly, and maybe one of the best hip hop dancers outside of his style, but that's faint praise. He's certainly no Joshua. That bar is much, much higher than whatever Fik-Shun has attained.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Hanson said:
I don't think it's possible for Fik-Shun and Amy to have that many memorable routines because of this one fact: Fik-Shun isn't that great out of his style. He is better than Cyrus, certainly, and maybe one of the best hip hop dancers outside of his style, but that's faint praise. He's certainly no Joshua. That bar is much, much higher than whatever Fik-Shun has attained.
I would also put Legacy and Hok in the group with Joshua before Fik-Shun.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Again, I'm talking an entire body of work, together, by one pair of dancers.How many other contestant pairings have had as many dances...together? Does nobody understand the "together, an entire body of work"?Or do I need to add the disclaimer..."Contestant/couples that danced together a minimum of 6 times."

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Well, that was a snoozy let down after last week's batch of dynamic choreography. It's already asking a lot to get a good Tyce number in the first place, so asking him for two was a huge mistake. I actually thought that the wind machine and stuff blowing by was cool looking, but seemed more appropriate for a jaunty Broadway number instead of a lame attempt at piggybacking on a cause du jour, especially when it's about BAD WEATHER. STOP TRYING TO MAKE CANCER DANCE HAPPEN AGAIN. It wasn't even good then. I can't believe that got a standing O, but undeserving accolades are par for the course on this show.

The thing that struck me about Amy's "seductive" hip hop was that she has ZERO sex appeal. Like, Hayley would have been white hot in this number, but watching Amy do it was totally non-arousing. Amy has the sister vibe emitting from all pores. As great as she is technically, I get very little excitement from her performances because I don't find her attractive at all, and I like my female dancers to be hot. Melanie Bore is the same way, although I think Amy dances rings around her.

Hayley finally gets a contemporary and the Dee Kaspary choreography is a total bore (which is completely not surprising). It was pretty obvious she was going at that point since she got the lesser hip hop and lesser contemporary. Not that Tyce's Bad Weather dance was great shakes, but at least the judges they pretended it was awesome.

I was shocked that Paul got cut since I thought he had it in the bag. I am equally shocked that Aaron has never been in the bottom. I still don't see anything other than Charles Barkley on DWTS when he dances.

Does Jesse Taylor Ferguson know how DVRs work? You can't "drop" a video into a DVR. But Aaron can drop Melanie for lols.

Not really enthused about the top four, but then again, Hayley was the only dancer I was invested in since, like, the top 18. Fik-Shun never fulfilled the promise of being the next Joshua. He was never more than "quite good" outside of his specialty.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm the opposite about Amy. My gf is 5'10" 205. Make Amy another 6-8" tall, have her pack on 15 more pounds.Amy could probably kick ass and take names in a decathlon. Girls with a 6-pack are fun.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
In Tyce's defence, he has been nailing it this year: the majority of his routines were solid. Even the Cheese-man has been mostly good. Travis and Stacey are still the best, though.

I miss Wade Robson...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Guest judge Gold Medalist is useless. Why can't I get Christina Applegate back?Paula Abdul is surprisingly good, thankfully.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What was that tribute to The 5th Element?!?! I can't decide if it was awesome or waste of time.I would gladly vote for both women to win over the men. As is, I vote for Fikshun slightly over Aaron.Amy and jasmine, I like them both a great deal. They've been in my top five from the start. I lean ever so slightly to Amy, but both are great.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Speaking of tributes...

Attachments

• slimamy.jpg
    slimamy.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 40

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Researching the routines this week. Amy and Robert's dance is one of the best I've ever seen on the show. He was an effortless partner. Amy was brilliant. I am not dry-eyed at the end of it. Jasmine and Fikshun's routine was very good. She is beautiful every time, and gives a great performance. Fikshun and Twitch were so much fun. That was wonderfully choreographed. I love how Twitch moves in his stage-consuming, swinging steps. He puts an attitude of non-chalant confidence that makes it exuberant. Fikshun ... His smile draws in the audience, and paired against his perfect physical control in these dance knocks me out. The only problem is their big-brother / little brother size difference made it goofier than it should have been at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks