What's new

So you own the individual Bond releases on Blu-ray. Will you buy the set or wait? (1 Viewer)

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Persianimmortal said:
The term Box Set is perfectly acceptable. E.g see the title of this Amazon page. So yes, while boxed set is a more descriptive term, box set has entered common usage.
Please note my use of smilies.
Nonetheless, common usage or otherwise, and whatever MGM want to call it, a 'box set' is a set of boxes, whilst a 'boxed set' is a set of contents put in a box (or 'boxed'). That's the English language.
I'll get me coat.
Steve W

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I had several of the blu-rays and sold them to buy the complete collection. The price is decent and it is more of a "get them all at once" approach then waiting for the individual releases. I have a pre-order in with both Amazon US and UK hoping to see if we get word that the UK release is region-free. I still have my UE DVD's and will keep them as well.
However, the packaging will be the first to go. I hate the elongated book approach and the half-sized slots. Hopefully, someone will come up with creative new cover designs for standard blu-ray cases. I wouldn't even mind some multi-disk case designs to save space.
As for "OHMSS", it is my favorite. It is just too good a story and has too good of a supporting cast not to like. And with it being Lazenby's only spin as Bond and being out of order timeline wise, It is easy for me to separate it out into it's own context. Also, Lazenby may have been a bit stiff as an actor, but i think he had the best build/look for the physicality of the role.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Let me clear, I want this set. However, like many others, I bought the blus that have been released already. Thus, I'm on the fence with this. Which brings me to my question. I have seen these released blu-rays sold at severely reduced prices BRAND NEW. For those who sold theirs, what kind of money did you get for your used copies? It seesm its not worth the effort for the return you would get.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Osato /t/320876/so-you-own-the-individual-bond-releases-on-blu-ray-will-you-buy-the-set-or-wait/30#post_3929421
Where was the review that you read? I would like to read it. Thanks!

Bearing in mind these selected Bond films were released on UK Blu-ray four years ago, I can't remember whether it was a review on or off the web. It could have been in a magazine which used to be called DVD & Blu-ray Review.

One of the things I'd like to see corrected, is the end credits for Moonraker.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
WaveCrest said:
Bearing in mind these selected Bond films were released on UK Blu-ray four years ago, I can't remember whether it was a review on or off the web. It could have been in a magazine which used to be called DVD & Blu-ray Review.
One of the things I'd like to see corrected, is the end credits for Moonraker.
If you do recall where it was read, I would also like to read this review about the audio quality on the UE DVD's.
What issues are there with the end credits on Moonraker?
I thought Mi Casa did an amazing job with all of the sound mixes. However there were a few things that need to be corrected (OHMSS during the Gumbolt's Safe scene - music is muted or dialed down for some reason when it should gradually get louder during the scene). I believe they will correct these issues on blu ray as it seems many issues from the UE DVD's have been corrected on blu ray.
At any rate the blu rays do contain the original audio tracks as well as the new DTS HD MA ones.
The jump from SE DVD to UE DVD was a large jump and improvement in terms of video and audio.
Here is a review on the UE DVD sets 3 & 4:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/249904/htf-review-james-bond-ultimate-edition-vol-3#post_3062162
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/251914/htf-review-james-bond-ultimate-edition-vol-4#post_3084989
DVD Basen is a pretty handy site for finding online reviews too:
http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?search=james+bond&mvis=ok&region=1&land=z&ok=go
Anyway. A lot of it probably a moot point with the Bond 50 set coming in September. : )

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
I have a feeling Target or somebody will have these individually for sale on 9/25…
Just a feeling I have, a very strong feeling.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The end credits on the Blu-ray of Moonraker go off the right side of the frame, so you miss the full names of several of the crew.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
FanboyZ said:
I have a feeling Target or somebody will have these individually for sale on 9/25…
Interesting point and thought!
Could be!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Kevin EK said:
The end credits on the Blu-ray of Moonraker go off the right side of the frame, so you miss the full names of several of the crew.
Interesting!
I'll have to check the UE DVD and see this as well!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Osato /t/320876/so-you-own-the-individual-bond-releases-on-blu-ray-will-you-buy-the-set-or-wait/60#post_3937534
What issues are there with the end credits on Moonraker?

When watching Moonraker (1979) on VHS the end credits continously scrolled. However, on the Ultimate Edition they scroll to a point, stop, then the Moonraker copyright bit appears on screen (this also happened when the Bond films started being shown in high definition on ITV's channels).

Also, and this differs depending on how much you like the film, but the restoration by Lowry Digital didn't look as good with A View to a Kill (1985) as it does with the Region 2 Ultimate Edition DVDs of the films in the series up to this point (from my point of view, not including Goldfinger (1964) and The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), as I've got the Region 2 Special Edition DVDs of those two Bond films), especially in the night-time scenes (like the firetruck chase through San Francisco).

There is supposed to be a deleted scene from Moonraker, of a meeting Drax has with his financial backers, in the room underneath a space shuttle launchpad.

Started loving the Bond films from You Only Live Twice (1967), up to and including Tomorrow Never Dies (1997). Favourite Bond is a tie between Sir Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton, so their films in the series I'm especially looking forward to seeing on Blu-ray (probably will get the Bond 50 Blu-ray set).

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have also read about the Moonraker deleted scene, but it sounds doubtful we'll ever see it. This would have been the opportunity to dust off the deleted scenes from all of those films.
I read about that scene in one of the Bond guidebooks, where it was noted that the elaborate set was built more for the scene we didn't see in the movie.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
WaveCrest said:
When watching Moonraker (1979) on VHS the end credits continously scrolled. However, on the Ultimate Edition they scroll to a point, stop, then the Moonraker copyright bit appears on screen (this also happened when the Bond films started being shown in high definition on ITV's channels).
Also, and this differs depending on how much you like the film, but the restoration by Lowry Digital didn't look as good with A View to a Kill (1985) as it does with the Region 2 Ultimate Edition DVDs of the films in the series up to this point (from my point of view, not including Goldfinger (1964) and The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), as I've got the Region 2 Special Edition DVDs of those two Bond films), especially in the night-time scenes (like the firetruck chase through San Francisco).
There is supposed to be a deleted scene from Moonraker, of a meeting Drax has with his financial backers, in the room underneath a space shuttle launchpad.
Started loving the Bond films from You Only Live Twice (1967), up to and including Tomorrow Never Dies (1997). Favourite Bond is a tie between Sir Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton, so their films in the series I'm especially looking forward to seeing on Blu-ray (probably will get the Bond 50 Blu-ray set).
Cool. I'm a big fan of Roger Moore as well.
I'll have to review my UE Moonraker dvd on the credits. I recall there was some issues with stretching during the titles too.
On A View to a Kill. Are you comparing region 1 and region 2 UE DVD's? Or are you saying that the Region 2 SE's of View To A Kill, Goldfinger and The Spy Who Loved Me look better than Region 2 UE dvd's?
There is also a deleted scene from Moonraker that was filmed on the station with the Noah's ark people. A still of the scene ended up on the Moonraker Topps card set.
Overall, I really hope they expand the extras on Moonraker. Deleted scenes, trailers, tv spots and radio spots. When the original SE DVD was done they were light on these as space was an issue on the disc. I know there was budget issues to expand extras on the UE DVD's too. That is there was more they could do, but they only had a limited budget for the work done.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the other 9 Bond films on blu ray very soon! Many of my favorites!

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Osato said:
Interesting point and thought!
Could be!
I just can't imagine Sony/ MGM would really place all of their James Bond eggs in one $200 basket...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
FanboyZ said:
I just can't imagine Sony/ MGM would really place all of their James Bond eggs in one $200 basket...
Yes. Time will tell.
I know they did do an exclusive box set of Quantum of Solace, Moonraker and License To Kill at Best Buy in 2009.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I bought the James Bond Steelbook cases as they came out, then the MGM thing happened and left my collection stuck. I have little hope that this Steelbook set will continue, but it might. Just in case it does, I'm not buying anything Bond because that's an awful lot of money for a double-dip.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FanboyZ said:
I figure they'll only put out the set and get as much money out of it as they can from holiday shoppers. Then when Skyfall comes to video in the spring, they'll release the others individually and also make money from the people who waited or don't want all the titles. That seems like the way to make the most money.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Osato /t/320876/so-you-own-the-individual-bond-releases-on-blu-ray-will-you-buy-the-set-or-wait/60#post_3937926
On A View to a Kill. Are you comparing region 1 and region 2 UE DVD's? Or are you saying that the Region 2 SE's of View To A Kill, Goldfinger and The Spy Who Loved Me look better than Region 2 UE dvd's?
There is also a deleted scene from Moonraker that was filmed on the station with the Noah's ark people. A still of the scene ended up on the Moonraker Topps card set.

Might have got you confused, you've confused me, or it's a bit of both. Have you read reviews on other DVD and Blu-ray websites of comparisons between the Region 2 Special Editions and Ultimate Edition DVDs of the Bond films?

Have got the Region 2 Special Edition DVDs of Goldfinger, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Diamonds Are Forever and The Spy Who Loved Me. Have the Region 2 Ultimate Edition DVDs of the other films, up to Tomorrow Never Dies. Get the feeling you doubt what I'm saying, like the restoration isn't as good in some scenes of A View to a Kill. There was a review on The Digital Fix, including screenshots comparing the picture between the Region 2 Special Edition and Region 2 Ultimate Edition release of A View to a Kill:

A View to a Kill (Region 2 Ultimate Edition) - The Digital Fix review

Before checking this review again, I recall that on the VHS release and TV airings (before ITV started showing A View to a Kill in high definition on it's channels) that the picture/print quality wasn't as sharp with some scenes.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
No box set vote from me. Like so many others I bought the VHS/LD/DVD/BD even though the UK price is very good there are several bond movies I have seen too often so I am holding out for the titles I do not already own on BD & will cherry pick the ones I want to buy when/if they ever do singles (probably 2014-15).
Only way I will change my mind is if this box set is using recent pristine HD transfers (AFAIK its using mid 2000s HD transfers!!. Mind boggling decision to save a little money & as usual the hardcore fans suffer). I am stunned that major franchises continue to get re-used HD transfers which were created many years ago. Bond is crying out for 2012 HD transfers its just not good enough AFAIC. I hope Indiana Jones does not go cheap as well (but Star Wars did despite earning over $100m for Lucasfilm/Fox they were happy to lie to the consumer & rehash old transfers:().

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Paul, the Star Wars transfers were not lied about. They were new transfers. The debate here was the level of work done on those transfers. Some thought it was very good, others thought it had problems.

The 007 transfers will, unless something untoward occurs, be the HD transfers done by Lowry. Which is not a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks