What's new

So, whos been following up on the US Open??? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Anybody?? :)
I've just started playing tennis this year, and i just started watching it during this US Open... I like it quite alot, its not as entertaining as some other things, but its pretty cool...
Anybody watching it???
Ohyeah, what did Hewitt say to Blake that was such a big deal? I hear it was some sort of racial comment???
And i just saw Andy Roddick's interview on USOpen.org, at the end he says theres a guy with a sign, and he reacted to it... anybdoy know what it said?? Just curious... Damn roddicks got a fast serve..

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Partially watching while I'm on the computer. Waiting for a few matches from some of the more well known players. I'm only a casual watcher.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have been watching every day, and listening while at work.
Hewitt's remark:
He was playing James Blake (who is black). Hewitt was called for his second foot fault by a black linesman, and told the chair umpire to switch linesman. He said something like "Notice any similarities" (between the linesman and Blake). The exact quote...."Look at him and you tell me what the similarity is...Mate, he's a F--look at what he's done!"
Open officials decided to let it slide.
As for Roddicks interview, I dont know what the sign said.
Jeff Peake

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I was at the Hewitt-Blake match that day...but obviously heard nothing until I got home that night. Roddick has a fast serve, for sure, but the amazing thing is his percentages. Anybody with a decent motion can break a hundred these days. The challenge is to place it accurately with a high percentage in.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
yeah, roddick has a great serve.
I would love to see Ivanisevic win for the men and Capriati for the ladies.
The matches are starting to get better, more 5-setters. I love late night 5-set matches!
Jeff

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
it's amazing how much of a spread there is between the seeded/unseeded players in women's tennis.
Compared to the mens side there are virutally no high seed upsets.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
it's amazing how much of a spread there is between the seeded/unseeded players in women's tennis.
Compared to the mens side there are virtually no high seed upsets.
This has been true for decades. Even ardent tennis fanatics would be hard pressed to name many female pros outside of the top ten. In the men's game, any one in the top hundred can beat one of the top seeds on a given day...upsets occur all the time. And even though the gap grows slimmer between the level of the women's game versus the men's, it is still a major chasm.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Jeff P
Spoiler: Goodbye Ivanisevic! lost in three straight sets to Capra. I just came home to catch two upsets, Ferraro and Goran... Goran was playing quite ugly today and didn't seem to have anything, even his serve seemed to be off. (I didn't see anything but the last set tiebreaker but from what Goran said in the post match interview and seeing him miss a couple easy volleys). I find it hard to watch Goran when he is playing crappy, when he's on, it's kind of dull to me, watching bombing serves.. and when he's off, it's ugly!

Jay

AllenD

Second Unit
Hi Nick! Glad to see other Tennis fans around here.
Can't wait for the Sampras VS. Agassi match tomorrow. I pick Agassi even though I love Sampras' game. Agassi is just so tough right now. He's in great shape and he can outlast Pete in a five setter any day and it's going to be a physical game. Andre will see to that. I realy want Pete to win so I can see a Sampras VS. Safin rematch. (Safin gave Sampras a good spanking on last years finals.) My pick for the finals is Gustavo Kuerten VS. Andre Agassi.
------------------
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Generally don't follow tennis but...
That was an amazing match tonight. Four sets, four tiebreakers.
It's a shame it didn't go five because it almost certainly would've got consideration as one of the best ever.
Evan
------------------
"* * * * * * * * * * * * *" - Buster Keaton
S&S: 22 films left
Most recent: L'Atalante

Denward

Supporting Actor
I stayed up and watched Roddick/Hewitt. I was shocked that the umpire over ruled a linesman and called Roddick's ball out during (what turned out to be) the final game of the match. The ball was at the sideline away from the ump. On the slo mo replay (not the Mac cam) it's clear that the ball was at least 90% out but I can't see how the ump could make an over rule
angry.gif
. Roddick ended up getting broken and losing the match. I hate to see a tense tough match get decided like that.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I caught part of a doubles match today on CBS in HDTV it looked stunning.
Kevin C. :)
------------------
If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

AllenD

Second Unit
Well my two picks lost in the Quarters. Thank goodness I don't bet. At least I get to see Sampras VS. Safin rematch.
Roddick was right on the money when he argued with the ump. That was a terrible call since the ball was in and the ump was too far away to make the over rule. I wish Roddick would've pulled back a little instead of trying to kill each ball.
In the end, Hewitt deserved the win since he worked so hard. For the record, Hewitt's remark during his match with Blake was taken out of context. What he meant by "similarities" is it was the same linesman who called all of his foot faults.
Evan,
It's one of the best in my book. Not top 5, but in the top ten, certainly. It might be a while until we see Agassi VS. Sampras in the Quarters at a major. I'm glad I got to see it.
------------------
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks