What's new

So who still has a VCR in their entertainment center? (1 Viewer)

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
Like Clark above, I just recently took mine out of my rack to make room for new equipment and change things around. I haven't used it in a couple of years. Just never have been a real 'recorder' person. Don't have a DVD recorder to replace it for example.

I might try to sell mine but it's hard to explain its Super-VHS ability to anyone not into this stuff so I want get good money for it. May give it to my brother or someone at work as a gift.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Tony,

I have a W-VHS VCR and used it up until a few months ago when 169time improved their software to make recording satellite to D-VHS preferable to W-VHS. I have the SR-W5U and I agree it is much better built than my D-VHS VCRs. Picture quality is just not as good as D-VHS and the media is way too expensive for archiving but when it was my only way to record HDTV, it was great. I consider it better built than my old Sony SL-HF1000, SL-HF2100, ED-V7500 VCRs and therefore the best built VCR I have ever owned. Aesthetically it is not consistent with my other equipment and looks a little strange but it sits by itself when I had it hooked up.

My experience with VCRs has been great over the last couple of decades so I don't have the aversion to videotape that most members here seem to have. Watching live TV was never something I wanted to do once I got my first VCR.

Chris

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I'm using my JVC 40k more than any of my dvd players at this point. Actually, I haven't even fired up a dvd player in two or three weeks.

I have no problem with tape-- provided it's digital. Compared to dvds, quite frankly I'm happy I don't have to sit through forced trailers and pointless animated menus.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Nathan_R,

"....quite frankly I'm happy I don't have to sit through forced trailers and pointless animated menus."

I just found out on another forum how to stop this with most DVDs: When the first DVD screen comes on (after the FBI screen) hit stop twice then hit run. The DVD then starts immediately at the beginning of the movie - skipping all the garbage! (Maybe all DVD players don't have this feature?)

John Lloyd

Second Unit

I have the Mitsubishi 1100U DVHS deck. It works just fine with my Toshiba HDTV via a Samsung OTA HDTV STB. You can typically find the JVC 30K or 40K decks on the web for $300 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks