What's new

So wheres the love for the Six Million Dollar Man? (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter

I spoke to Herbie Pilato about two years ago regarding the book. The working title was The Six Million Dollar Seventies. I believe the original plan was to release it at the time of (then planned) big-screen remake. Hopefully it will still be published. I get so tired of these deals being hinged on other "tie-ins", or no go.

I've also read that Jim Carey is also no longer involved with the new movie. I'd rather they ditch the comedy/spoof version and stick to the more serious tone of the source material (books and TV series). I think if they found the right actor (young with no/little career "baggage"), they could launch a successful franchise similar to THE BOURNE IDENTITY, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, the JACK RYAN series and SUPERMAN.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I heard that, Matt. 99% if not 100% opinion on the bionic forum bd's agree with you about the movie.

"Forget tie-in's...just release those DVD's and the book" :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

You're welcome, although I'm not sure how much of an update it was.....

Hello from across the water in Dallas, TX :)

"Bionic nuts that we are, we'll all play 'DVD Wait' together" :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If they do make a movie of the SM$M, just how will they do his high speed running: the old slow mo' or...?

Even when it was first broadcast, I was always asking myself why is high speed running in slow mo'?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

That's a very good question. I think the general (and still illogical) reason is that the man is running so fast you have to slow down the film to see him. In the Bionic TV movies they used some zippy light streak, but it paled in comparison to the slo-mo. Somehow it works and probably wouldn't work as well without that signature sound effect to go with it. It would be interesting to get it from the horse's mouth and find out how the creators came up with that idea.

MattHR

Screenwriter
There were a few instances in the first few episodes of SMDM where they showed Steve running "super-fast" by speeding up the film. It looked rather ridiculous, as the producers felt it looked like the Keystone Cops. The decision was made to play the action scenes in slow-motion, for a more dramatic effect. Even Wonder Woman began to use slow-mo in the later episodes, after using real-time and fast-motion effects. To the day, most movies utilize under-cranked (slow-motion) film for explosions and other action scenes. The only way the hero can "outrun" a fireball is when it's in slow-motion.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

However, as special effects have improved, fast runners are shown running fast. I'm thinking of the young Clark Kent in Superman and most notably, the liquid metal terminator in T2.

MattHR

Screenwriter

I received an e-mail from Mr. Pilato today. He told me his book has been completed for some time, but continuing legal issues are preventing its release. He says Universal seems to have no idea what they actually own regarding the franchise. He also confirmed that Jim Carey is officially no longer attached to the movie remake.

These legal issues, once again, seem to be the reason for lack of information regarding the often-mentioned DVD releases of SMDM and THE BIONIC WOMAN.

These same issues are also causing problems for the second wave of SMDM collector cards, and BIONIC WOMAN card sets. Most of the series' principles have already signed the autograph cards for the sets.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hello again, "Bionic" fans :D

Today is Lee Major's 66th birthday. Happy Birthday, Lee, wherever you are. You'll always be "Col. Steve Austin", at least to me :) Well, also "Heath Barkley" (that's another series from the 60's that I'm wanting on DVD big-time :))

In memory of Col Austin: Here's a couple Steve A's lines from my favorite Bionic Woman "crossover" ep "The Deadly Missles" Season 1:

"I'm tracking....rotate degree to cooridantes Delta-Charlie 16-41"
"Calibrate Tracking Error to Zero Mode"
"Switching Magnetic Finder Override to Automatic"
"Releasing 1st Safety"
"Releasing 2nd Safety"
"FIRE!"

Man, I loved those early BW/Lee M crossovers :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

And it looks . . . well, it looks like crap. I'd almost go with the Benny Hill effect for the speed running than the goofy look of someone trying to look like theyre running really fast.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Well, I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, because I thought the T2 effect was very good. The slo-mo running the TSMDM looked hokey to me.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Hey, Johnny :D

I'll take a guess and say that you're under the age of 40. Regarding the "slo-mo" thing, Lindsay Wagner told a funny story last fall about how her 2 sons reacted when they were watching the Bionic Woman with Lindsay for the 1st time. Her sons said the same thing (having been raised on "T2"). They told Lindsay "What's the big deal?" You're just running in slo-motion.". Lindsay replied "Well...it was cool back then. We paved the way for T2". It was a funny moment when Lindsay was describing her son's reactions while watching her series :D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's a great story Jeff, I'm sure it's not the first time an offspring has failed to be impressed by something their mom or dad did.:)

However, I'm over 40. Lets just say the I'm newly eligible to withdraw from my 401K's without penalty.:b

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Talk about missing the "40's" guess. :rolleyes:"When I'm wrong, I'm wrong" :D

Maybe those bionic series DVD's will be released before I'm eligable to get my 401k $'s :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks