What's new

So, what should be future WB "Director's Series" box sets? (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
It's always frustrating when WB launches an interesting umbrella heading for box set releases, because they are often very good, but not always continued. We are going to see more "Forbidden Hollywood" and "Gangsters" boxes, but the gauntlet that has been dropped with the new Kubrick "Director's Series" box makes me hungry for more comprehensive collections by one artist. But in their noble attempt to prevent buyers from double dipping by not putting already-released discs in boxes, it limits the possibilities. I seem to recall hearing that Clint Eastwood will get one, which he rightfully deserves since many of his movies would benefit from fresh new transfers and added extras. But who else is due for more representation?

Right off my head Sidney Lumet would be a great candidate. He's getting lots of attention again for BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD, and of course the Lifetime Achievement Award is a good excuse to revisit his work. True, WB has already revisited NETWORK and DOG DAY AFTERNOON for their "Controversial Classics" box, and just released THE HILL for their war movie promotion, but there are plenty of other movies of his that would be either new to DVD (BYE BYE BRAVERMAN, THE SEAGULL, THE APPOINTMENT, LAST OF THE MOBILE HOT SHOTS, JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT, GARBO TALKS) or due for upgrading (DEATHTRAP, RUNNING ON EMPTY, POWER - all currently barebones 1.33) to include.

Ken Russell is another that comes to mind. There is almost none of his WB or MGM output on DVD right now save for ALTERED STATES (which is 1.85 but without extras). Putting Russell's work in one box would yield two long-sought films - THE DEVILS and THE BOYFRIEND - that would make this as desirable and highly marketable as the Kubrick box, plus SAVAGE MESSIAH which features an infamous Helen Mirren nude scene, the divisive cult musical LISZTOMANIA, and perhaps a new ALTERED STATES with cast interviews or director commentary.

Any other suggestions? Remember, WB prefers not to double dip, so semi-obvious and deserving directors like Scorsese or Spielberg are not likely.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Kubrick, Part II:

FEAR AND DESIRE: Deluxe Edition
KILLER'S KISS: Deluxe Edition
THE KILLING: Deluxe Edition
PATHS OF GLORY: 2-Disc Special Edition
LOLITA: 2-Disc Special Edition
BARRY LYNDON: 2-Disc Special Edition

(we can skip SPARTACUS, due to the Criterion version, and DR. STRANGELOVE, due to the current 2-Disc Anniversary Edition)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Ken Russell would be an interesting choice, but only if they can get his BBC documentaries as bonus features. This can't be a collection of his film, you have to make the case that he deserves to be seen as a major director of his time.

Russell has fallen so far off the radar for casual film fans. You mention his name at a film school and they think you're talking the guy from Escape From New York.

Where's the Norman Taurog boxset?

Charles H

Screenwriter
Some likely titles for the Taurog Collection: PALM SPRINGS WEEKEND, RICH, YOUNG AND PRETTY, BUNDLE OF JOY, THE HOODLUM SAINT, BIG CITY, DESIGN FOR SCANDAL, MRS. O'MALLEY AND MR. MALONE, PLEASE BELIEVE ME. Three more serious candidates: ROOM FOR ONE MORE, ONIONHEAD, and THE BEGINNING OR THE END--a serious historical film about the development of the "A" bomb.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
WB said "the Devils" was coming, I've heard "the Boy Friend" isn't, but a Russell box set would be great "the Music Lovers" too but that's a different company

ted:r

Second Unit
Let me second the Lumet box set. I hunger especially for "Bye Bye Braverman", "The Sea Gull" and "Last Of The Mobile Hot Shots"

Charles H

Screenwriter
Anthony Mann: CIMARRON, SERENADE, THE TALL TARGET, DEVIL'S DOORWAY, DESPERATE.
Nicholas Ray: PARTY GIRL, WIND ACROSS THE EVERGLADES, THE LUSTY MEN, BORN TO BE BAD, A WOMAN'S SECRET.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

*slaps head*

Of course, you're right--I momentarily confused Warner Bros. with 20th Century Fiox as the current distributor of MGM DVDs...

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
How about a Vincente Minelli box set. I would love Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Cobweb, Kismet, a double disc Gigi with a complete doc on the making of the film. etc.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would like Warner Bros to do a tim burton director series.. I heard they plan to release a 20th anniversary of beetlejuice on dvd special edition.. have no idea if its true or not.. I would hope they include pee wee's big adventure, batman, batman returns, mars attacks, Charlie and the cholate factory, corpse's bride.

I wouldn't mind seeing a richard donner directors series collection. he has done many films with warner bros, including superman, ladyhawke, lethal weapon and others.

Jacob

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I was thinking that too until I realized that "Beetlejuice" and "Mars Attacks" are arguably the only ones that need to be revisited and most Burton fans are already gonna have the rest.

I can also see WB being reluctant to include the Batman movies alongside "unrelated" movies.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
they keep re-releasing stanley K. films on dvd.. I am sure they can do the same with tim burton films. it would be cool if they would revisit mars attacks as a proper special edition.

Jacob

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
How could you guys mention Warner Bros. and 'directors' without its most legendary director: Michael Curtiz??

Among his films are-
Casablanca
Mildred Pierce
Captain Blood
The Private Lives of Elizabeth & Essex
Marked Woman
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Jim Thorpe- All American
Flamingo Road
Life with Father
- a legit version should be released!
This Is The Army- likewise
Yankee Doolde Dandy
The Sea Hawk
Angels With Dirty Faces
Four Daughters
Anthony Adverse
Dodge City
Doctor X
- and countless others.

A Curtiz set is a must!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The only non-studio era director I can think of who has had anything like Kubrick's relationship with Warner Brothers is Clint Eastwood. The fact that he has a name that would sell titles probably does not hurt, either.

Studio-era catalog holdings from the WB, MGM, and RKO libraries would give them a lot of choices. For WB studio directors specifically, the first two names that come to mind are Curtiz and Raoul Walsh.

Regards,

Charles H

Screenwriter
A Curtizet would be terrific: Add MISSION TO MOSCOW, THE JAZZ SINGER, THE STORY OF WILL ROGERS, THE UNSUSPECTED, THE BREAKING POINT (see seperate thread), THE SEA WOLF, 20,000 YEARS IN SING SING, NOAH'S ARK, CABIN IN THE COTTON, ROUGHLY SPEAKING, MAMMY, THE STRANGE LOVE OF MOLLY LOUVAIN, BRIGHT LEAF, DAUGHTERS COURAGEOUS, THE HELEN MORGAN STORY. No other director epitomizes what WB is all about. Great idea for a megaset a la what Fox is doing with Ford.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Brilliant idea, Charles and Charles! A few more to add:
Tenderloin
Jimmy the Gent
Black Fury
Goodbye Again
The Keyhole
Mandalay
Under a Texas Moon
The Matrimonial Bed
The Mad Genius
God's Gift to Women
The Woman From Monte Carlo

Charles H

Screenwriter
Mervyn LeRoy: QUO VADIS? (Double Disc), TWO SECONDS, FIVE STAR FINAL, ANTHONY ADVERSE, THREE MEN ON A HORSE, THE WORLD CHANGES, THEY WON'T FORGET (arguably his finest film), THE GREAT GARRICK, TUGBOAT ANNIE, SWEET ADELINE, WATERLOO BRIDGE, ESCAPE, BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST, JOHNNY EAGER, HOMECOMING, ANY NUMBER CAN PLAY, LOVELY TO LOOK AT, MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID, HOME BEFORE DARK, ROSE MARIE, NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS, STRANGE LADY IN TOWN, A MAJORITY OF ONE, TOWARD THE UNKNOWN, and MARY, MARY. As in the case of Raoul Walsh and Michael Curtiz, the name of the director may not be marketable to the public but the titles and the stars certainly are.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
How about--

Fritz Lang:

RANCHO NOTORIOUS (1952)
MOONFLEET (1955)
WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1956)
BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT (1956)

William Wellman:

THE STAR WITNESS (1931)
WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD (1933)
THE HAPPY YEARS (1950)
THE NEXT VOICE YOU HEAR (1950)
WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951)

Jean Negulesco:

THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS (1944)
THE CONSPIRATORS (1944)
THREE STRANGERS (1946)
NOBODY LIVES FOREVER (1946)
DEEP VALLEY (1947)

Jacques Tourneur:

DAYS OF GLORY (1944)
EXPERIMENT PERILOUS (1944)
BERLIN EXPRESS (1948)
STARS IN MY CROWN (1950)
WICHITA (1955)

Blake Edwards:

THE GREAT RACE: SE (1965)
THE WILD ROVERS (1971)
THE CAREY TREATMENT (1972)
THE TAMARIND SEED (1974)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, WB does not control Blake Edwards' THE TAMARIND SEED - that belongs to Granada. They do still have SKIN DEEP, S.O.B., and 10, which have been previously released in bare-bones editions, and could benefit from new transfers and commentary tracks. Good choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks