What's new

So, what do you do for a living? (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Brad, you said:

I'm a writer with Apple. I'm a contractor, not an employee, but it's still a great job.
I am SO jealous! I used to work for Apple as a student representative in grad school. It was a fantastic job. And the software deals were sweet, too. What I wouldn't give to work for them now!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
FICM supervisor in Georgia Dept. of Family and Children Services for nearly 22 years.
Translation , non pc = Welfare Supervisor of financial eligibility programs including food stamps and medicaid.

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
I am the manager of the printing dept for one of the largest direct mail companys in southern california transplant from NY i'm the one who puts all that junk mail in your mail box every day!!it's a living I guess.:D

Kip L

Auditioning
All right, I'll bite. I'm a Logistics Project Manager for Volvo Logistics North America here in Greensboro, NC. I deal daily with transportation, supply chain management and other logistics areas at our manufacturing plants...

Not as cool sounding as some of you, but hey, I'm only 29.

Spare time devoted to fly-fishing, mountain biking, messing around with the PC, reading, my home theater, and a little bit of time with the wife:>)

Hugh M

Second Unit
I (usually) manage food and beverage outlets at resorts and country clubs. Unfortunately right now I am looking for a job. The last location I worked at will be on TV this weekend and is well respected. I have had the opportunity to meet alot of famous people, but its dealing with and entertaining everyday people that makes my job enjoyable. The money there was good and I was able to spend alot of time outdoors.
The company lost alot of big corporate groups and saw many cancellations directly and indirectly related to the 9/11 events. It was already a bad year. Hence the unemployment.
I really don't care where I work as long as the money is good and I get to enjoy life.
I guess with a few exceptions, like convenience store clerk in a populated area (a "most dangerous job in the country"), and any job that is based on fooling people. ;)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
full-time student (12 credits this semester) at Univ Of Florida; major: Business, minor: Computer Software Engineering

Bellman at a Doubletree Hotel;

Webmaster/ Computer Tech at a hall here at UF

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm a pilot currently flying for radio traffic reports, later this year I should be doing some work for a small cargo transport company.

Al Glasser

Auditioning
I'm a recently retired engineer from the Westinghouse Nuclear Fuel manufacturing plant. I sputter coated fuel pellets with a material that allowed them to last longer in the field.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Happily employed as a network administrator for a hospital. Manage all network infrastructure and server related issues. Having never been to college I am very fortunate to have come as far as I have on my experience and those little pieces of paper that tell other people I think I know what I am doing... er I mean certifications. :) But computers have been part of my life since I was 8 when my dad brought home a Radio Shack TRS-80 model III. And the rest is history.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am currently a student in the 12th grade and next year I am going to be attending the University of Central Florida in Orlando for Computer Science (although that will DEFINATELY change to something more specific)

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I am an environmental noise consultant - basically this means I design and implement noise barriers for properties along highways. Most of my work involves the state of Virginia, but hopefully that will change sometime soon.
The work is severely unchallenging but my boss is great and I get to surf the internet all day :D.
I recently applied for a job to write neural network algorithms for guidance systems in missiles and aircraft. They haven't called me back yet though .
Before this I used to decapitate frogs and study the proteins in their eyes, but the biochemistry field is too crowded these days with everybody searching for a cure to life.
Jason

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I'm a full-time student at UCLA, but I work on campus as a computer tech. Pretty good pay, and I get to do my homework on the job.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm a child welfare social service caseworker for the alabama department of human resources. basically i'm a social worker but since my degree isn't in social work, i get the pay but not the title. i work in what's termed the "in home" division where i provide services to children and clients in order to prevent the children from being placed in foster care or i work towards reunification with families for the children outside of their family but not yet in foster care. the work can be very rewarding at times but a total disappointment at others. so goes the world of social reform. the pay isn't great but somebody has to do it.

kevin t

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Professional killer....its a growth industry.

Right now I fix Crown gas stations, but starting at the end of the month I'm going back to IBM to install/configure Cisco equipment. They're finally making the move from Token Ring to Ethernet...

John Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
I work as a Systems Engineer for a testing machine company based in Willow Grove PA. I basically write the software that controls & acquires data from said machines. Check them out at www.tiniusolsen.com. Pretty interesting job.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ha!
When I started this thread I was an EE student. Now I am proud to say that I design test fixtures for elevator controller boards, for this major elevator (duh...) company :cool:
OK, OK, techinically I am not there yet, I start on wednesday :b
Given how hard things are these days, I guess I am extremely lucky to have actually secured a position before I graduated.
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks