What's new

So what do I need now? (1 Viewer)

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
Well I finally got my components yesterday and in my haste I left thinking I had all my cables.(I didn't leave any just thought I had what I needed.) But I don't think I do have all that I need. I know I need a subwoofer cable now that I have nothing connected to my sub. (Will run from a AVR-1603 to a energy S8.2 sub.)
Now I got my DVD conected to my reciever with a component cable, so thats the video, but what do I need to connect the audio signal from the DVD to the reciever. Or am I mistaken and the component cable already sends the audio?
I have a component cable to my TV from the reciever do I need anything else connected to the TV, or is that all I need?
I have all my speaker cables so that is taken care of.
But do I have, and have listed all the cables and interconnects that I need?

So I need to know what to buy to finish this project.
BTW here is my dilemma..... I need to buy them tommorow sunday(california time) perforably from a store like radio shack or Best Buy. Because my wife NEEDS THIS TOMMOROW!!!
She already told everyone to come over for some movie watching and I'm in a major bind (for those that are married I think you can feel for me... :frowning: )

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Thx to everyone that helps. ;)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The component only carries the video. It seems you are routing the video throught your reciever, which just allows your reciever to do video switching.

Anyway, radio shack will suffice unless you have a really long run. You need a digital coax (any cable that's 75 ohms will suffice) from the DVD player to your reciever. This carries the digital bitstream from your dvd player, and lets your reciever decode the DD or DTS. While you're at radio shack, you should pick up their SPL meter to calibrate your system. You can use your reciever's test tones for now, later you can pick up a copy of avia/VE and do it right, and also calibrate your video (WELL worth the price of either of these dvds).

Then you just need a single cable to your sub. I dunno how far you have to go, just any single audio cable will work.

If you're stuck in a bind tomorrow morning, you can temporarily hijack your extra set of component cables if you need. You can run the video directly to yhe TV from the dvd player if you want, and then pull apart the component set, and use one of the cables as the digital interconnect, and one for the sub, if it's long enough. Emergency solution, but it'll work fine. don't spend too much $$ on cables either, decent ones will do you fine. Good luck!

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you so much for the quick reply!!!!!
And that helps a ton!
I will go to Radio Shack tommorow morning and pick those up.
BTW I got a 6 meter component cable for only 15 bucks because my speakers were delayed 2 weeks!

Again you don't know how much you helped! :D :D :D :D :D

Home Theater Forum :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: gets 5 thumbs up!
And another 5 :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: for all of the great people on here!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Alex, I too would advise that you connect the component-video outputs of your DVD player directly to your TV unless using the Denon as a switcher is for some reason a priority with you.

As for the digital connection, you could also consider an optical cable (for reasons I cannot explain rationally, I always use optical connections).

Now, when you get everything connected, make sure you set up the audio formats correctly in your DVD player (enable "bitstream," "DTS," and "DD"). As for the receiver, set it to "auto detect" for the input sources.

Best of luck on your home theater journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks