What's new

So there was no EE on TPM? (1 Viewer)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
From the Van Ling chat:
VanLing: THX maintains that there was in fact NO edge enhancement used in the trasfer of Ep1. That being said, I've had a lot of discussions with Rick Dean, the head of THX's Digital Mastering Program, and he really wants to find out what people are perceiving to be EE and he want's to do a workshop here in Los Angeles where we go through the entire process of going from film to tape with an audience and showing that there is no edge enhancement being done, and to get to what people think they are seeing. I've suggested that when this workshop happens, that folks from all over get in on it. I've suggested they invite whomever's interested from HTF (and can afford to fly themselves out to LA).
So my big question is: What is it then? What is it on "The Phantom Menace" DVD that looks *exactly* like heavy edge enhancement, that has fooled many of us, including experts in-detail video analysis, but yet it isn't... Anyone care to enlighten me? :confused:
Take a look at Bjoerns analysis for details:
http://home.t-online.de/home/bjoern....TPM/TPM_01.htm
So if the workshop ever happens, be sure to report back to this board/thread, because I'm really curious about this strange phenomenon. Or maybe THX is just full of crap, who knows? :)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Wow. That's great that they're "stepping up to the challenge." They're definitely standing by their product.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Well,
I didn't get a chance to participate in or read the transcript of Van Ling's chat, but the TPM/EE issue has bothered me since day one!
Obviously somebody's trying to pull the wool over somebody's eyes! TPM definitely has some type of anamoly going on and I know my vision is fine. Anyone here wear EE glasses? :)
I can't imagine why it is that the folks at Lucasfilm (and THX) don't see what so many other people are seeing. It was so blatantly obvious to me the moment I started watching the film and I thought it to be a major deterent from throughly enjoying it (but that doesn't stop me from watching all together).
Glad you posted that link Artur to Bjoern's site, because I think that's it in a nutshell.
Anyway, I'd fly to LA to take a look at the process and to examine the film up close and personal with someone from THX/Lucasfilm so I can walk up to the screen and point out what it is they are supposed to be seeing.
Troy

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Just a quick question before I head over to Bjoerns' site...is edge enhancement noticeable on analog RPTVs?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Whether or not there 'is edge enhancement being done', there are enhanced edges on many titles including TPM, and it is hurting picture quality substantially. When trailers and/or overseas versions have much less 'enhancement', something is going on!
Maybe somebody is 'trying too hard' on the transfers for the R1 release copies. :rolleyes
Why is it that 'quick and dirty' transfers like those used on Academy screeners do not have enhanced edges, then when the 'official' disc comes out, the edges are enhanced (see Cast Away).

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
To join the bandwagon, both the plain tabletop player I use onto a 20" direct view shows something that looks suspiciously like edge enhancement, and on the PC drive playing onto a 20" progressive monitor.
Now, maybe the machine Mr. Ling was playing on didn't have an Edge Enhncement knob.
Maybe it had a Sharpness knob.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Before you all start questioning the credentials of a man who works in the industry, maybe we should give this a chance to happen (the workshop).

People have started using EE as a catch-all phrase for every halo they see on their sets. There could be multiple reasons these appear. TPM was done almost entirely digitally. Perhaps the artifacts were introduced there and the film to dvd transfer just brought it over as is? Or any other number of theories.

There are halos there, no doubt about it. But can you definitively swear on all you hold dear that you're absolutely sure it's EE? I can't.

Let's give this a chance before we start slamming people who, quite frankly, know more about the process than 99% of us.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Anyone here wear EE glasses?
I guess you could say I do. When I take off my glasses, everything blurs so there are no hard edges anywhere. :D
Whatever the reason for EE, it had to be something done during the DVD mastering because I do not see halos like that on my LD version.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Let's give this a chance before we start slamming people who, quite frankly, know more about the process than 99% of us.
I'm very eager to hear the results of this workshop, and I hope they give us a good explanation. I still think they screwed this transfer, and my faith in the THX brand has dropped a lot with this DVD release.

Gruson

Second Unit
When it aired on FOX in 480p a couple of months ago, there was a lot less EE and my LD also has less.

THX is full of shit, that is EE. I still believe the LD sounds better too.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Both the LD and the DVD are sourced from the same High-Def master. It has been theorized that some compression tools introduce halos, but if the LD lacks halos, than THX is not lying.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No, but it looks exactly like EE, and the R2 copy has much lesser ringing. I don't care how the rings came into be, but the result is definately ENHANCED EDGES in the picture, hence the term EDGE ENHANCEMENT
Ah, herein lies the problem.

Edge Enhancement, as they are talking about it, as a process used at mastering that introduces these halos. If the halos are introduced by some other process (like what Jeff Kleist wrote) you are seeing enhanced edges but NOT Edge Enhancement as the people who author DVDs know it.

They are NOT the same in this context, and all the people here saying "THX is full of..." and "Van Ling doesn't know..." are really talking out of their...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
As was mentioned in part of the lengthy EE thread on TPM some months ago, apparently some compression machines (I think Sony was mentioned) will add what appears to be EE without the operator doing anything. Thus, Van Ling could be correct that no one *added* any edge enhancement, but it could also be true at the same time that there is tons of EE present on the disc.

For those theorizing "it's part of the movie", no one saw it on the big screen, and it isn't visible in the trailer portions of the same scenes.

Regardless of what happens, it looks like shit and the studios ought to take action to prevent it happening. If the machines are adding it automatically, recalibrate them or junk them. It's utterly unacceptable. I don't care what you call it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Back when the disc was announced, I think it was Bill Hunt who asked if they did a new transfer,or were going to use the digital master for the DLP projection. They replied that they wanted it to look like film, and did a top-notch high-def back at the initial video release.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
On thing is obvious, Van Ling has never watched The Phantom Menace on DVD.

This is just disrespectful, and unneccesary. Ling has done a lot of great DVDs, and he doesn't need to be insulted. I doubt that he's just making this up or is inept. It may turn out after all that there IS no EE, but the halo effect is from something else.

-Tom

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
It is important to notice that I personally hold *nothing* against Van Ling on this matter. I'm certain he's speaking the truth, besides he wasn't at all involved with the video transfer.

However, I blame THX/Lucasfilm for putting out a transfer below the standard we are expecting for a high-profile release like Star Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks