What's new

So long, Amazon 10% discount (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

That is the only logical reason that I can come up with although it doesn't appear to be an exact "1 year" from the start date.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

That's funny, because I just went back through my order history and did the same - and my original order was also placed on November 23, 2006! :laugh: I guess they must have had some sort of promotion going on then to advertise the 10% deal. (For the record, I got Syriana, 12 Monkeys, and The Polar Express on HD DVD.)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
My other supplier will be happy to get more business.
Warner still has good prices on Amazon.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

The original promotion was either to buy an HD player (HD DVD or Blu-Ray) OR 3 HD Media discs on the same order. If you did that, you got the 10% off for all of 2007. I didn't actually place an order today, but got as far as checkout, and it appears that I'm still getting my 10% .... :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
done for me.

i placed my 3 hdm order right when this first started.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Or an HDTV. Originally it was for one year after purchase, and then it was extended through the end of 2007.

The way it was applied to the BOGO sales and Gold Box items was probably not wise on Amazon's part, but helped result in crazy discounts.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else still getting the discount? Just placed a preorder (No Country for Old Men, in case you were curious) and got the 10% off. I'm not complaining. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Some people have posited that the discount might stick with you until you get $500 in discounts, and then it get turned off for your account.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
not accurate.

i didnt even spend $500 in the year or so of my discount deal.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I know for a fact that this is not the case. I passed the $500 mark in HDM content from Amazon in the first couple of months of my two year discount. If anything, I would think that Amazon might want to encourage people to spend more and set up a spending minimum, not a maximum to continue the discount. I'm not sure what's letting some people still get the 10% discount unless it's a flaw in the Amazon system. We all know that they sometimes made errors in the consumers' favor when calculating BOGO discounts. And I'm not making any big deal about this because I think it's great that some people are still getting the 10% discount and wish them well. I only know that in my case ever since the 10% discount disappeared at Amazon I've been using a number of sources for HDM. In the past it was a no-brainer but now it's a lot closer, especially after titles have been out for a while.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's $500 in discounts, not total purchase price (i.e. $5,000 in purchases, or did you really buy $5,000 in HDM in a few months? Plus the BOGOs accelerated the discounts, i.e. if you bought $2,500 in BOGO sales due to the wacky 2x discounting flaw in Amazon's checkout system, you'd reach $500 in discounts sooner). But looks like Tony's discount got pulled at the end of 2007, so who knows why some people still have it and others don't.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I am still getting the 10% discount. I have recieved well in excess of 500.00 worth of discounts over the last 12 months and it doesn't seem to have effected my account.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah....shhhhhhhhhhh....be very, very quiet...nothing to see here...this is not the discount you were looking for...

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Heh, just noticed I'm still getting the discount but it's only 5% now. Can't really complain though. :)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

:laugh: Yea but so is -10%

To be honest, I'm actually thankful we've had it this long. To now get 5% is still nice although I would prefer if they had us requalify for the full 10% each year.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Just saw mine is down to 5% as well. I haven't been ordering a lot lately and will probably order even less now w/ the reduced discount and lack of BOGO sales. :frowning:

LarryH

Supporting Actor
My 10% disappeared long ago and no 5% followed. I just got my last BD - Master and Commander - reflecting the 10% discount, so definitely bye-bye for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks