What's new

So I was thinking about Star Wars on DVD... (1 Viewer)

Luc D

Second Unit
I think Lucas needs to understand that, whether he likes it or not, the original Star Wars films, as well as essentially every film ever made, are historical documents. It is important to preserve and have access to them as they were filmed and released 25 years ago.

Of course he can do whatever he wants with his films and remake them as he pleases, but I think it's irresponsible of him to suppress the original releases as he seems to be doing, and it's disrespectful to all the talented people who worked on them.

And if you ask me, today's CG technology does more to date these films than all the harsh matte lines and models of the originals.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I think Lucas needs to understand that, whether he likes it or not, the original Star Wars films, as well as essentially every film ever made, are historical documents. It is important to preserve and have access to them as they were filmed and released 25 years ago.
That's funny, I don't hear any outcry over the alterations in the TPM and AOTC dvds, or how about Aliens, or Superman, or Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Are these movies also not historical documents and should have the original theatrical versions availible for home video?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Your right Richard, in the face of such overwhelming numbers, the only solution is to drop the subject and move on.

The originals are gone, or more to the point, WILL be gone over time, Lucas will NOT release them again, ever. He wasn't happy with them and considers the new ones the versions he wants people to see, hence the phasing out of exsistence of the originals. I've said this before in the past, it would do the fans here a world of good to stop clinging to false hopes of seeing the originals on dvd.

Your only setting yourselves up for major disappointment when the announcment comes.

I just watched the original trilogy on LD today while making dvd's for my collection, and Lucas has a LOT of work to do before the originals even begin to resemble EP I & II that's for sure.

Luc D

Second Unit
That's funny, I don't hear any outcry over the alterations in the TPM and AOTC dvds, or how about Aliens, or Superman, or Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Are these movies also not historical documents and should have the original theatrical versions availible for home video?
Yes, they are, and yes they should. I think it's a shame that we don't have access to the original releases on DVD. However, this is a thread about Star Wars and its possible release on DVD. Don't you think that it's only natural that we talk about that Star Wars in a Star Wars thread?

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
I am curious. Didn't Lucas have all this planned out in the beginning when he wrote all six epidsodes? I wasn't introduced (though heard of) to star wars around 1988-89 (I was born in the year the movie was made - 1977). But the tapes I have say episode 4 for a new hope (has it always said Ep.4?) I always wonder what the first three were, but I just figured he started with Ep4 and ending with 6. The "flow" doesn't feel right. This new Trilogy seems to be thought up as he goes along, which is odd because I figured GL had this movies incubating in his brain for decades. It'll be interesting to see how Ep.3 turns out. So many questions to be unanswered I feel.

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Richard Kim, those movies should be to released unaltered. I feel I shouldn't be forced to watch an altered film because a studio says so. But that's for another thread. This is on OT thread.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
That's what made the original trilogy so good. It started off with episode four. We just get to the good stuff right off the bat. The audience feels as if they are thrown right smack in the middle of a big huge story and gets to see what happens right away. Obviously, we didn't need a back story. These movies were massively popular. All we needed to know was that the Galactic Empire was bad, and the Rebels were good. It was so simple, it was brilliant. None of this boring political stuff that's is in these new Star Wars movies.

He could have done several things. Start with episode one in 1977, not filmed the original trilogy twenty-five years ago and just start it all in 1999, or started episode one in 1985. My favorite is this last option: not film episode one, two, or three at all!

With these new movies, Lucas has made just about every cool character that shows up in four, five, and six all cute and cuddley. I don't want to see a cute happy Darth Vader, or a little brat Boba Fett! And in episode three, we are going to see Luke and Leia as babies!

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
You're not forced to watch any film.
Well when I like the Superman movie and it's the only available option...

No choices = dictarship. In this case the corporation says "You want Superman? Well this is our version WE want you to have."

And I will tell you that's the first and last DVD I buy like that.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
No choices = dictarship. In this case the corporation says "You want Superman? Well this is our version WE want you to have."
The vast majority of films are released in only one version, so I would suppose that all film companies are equally dictators under your definition.

DJ

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
Damin:

I said "in this case", not the vast majority of films.

and yes you are right, I do have two options: not to buy that DVD - AS I SAID "And I will tell you that's the first and last DVD I buy like that"

I am done with you.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Damin, you know what Darryl is getting at. Of course he doesn't have to buy the DVD. But then he doesn't get to see the movie we all know they could easily release. And besides, the answer "simply don't buy the dvd" could be used on over half of the debates on these forums. It would get kind of quiet in here, wouldn't it?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Of course he doesn't have to buy the DVD. But then he doesn't get to see the movie we all know they could easily release. And besides, the answer "simply don't buy the dvd" could be used on over half of the debates on these forums. It would get kind of quiet in here, wouldn't it?
That still doesn't mean he's "forced to watch an altered film." I merely disagreed with the use of the word "forced." I don't see people claiming that they are "forced" to watch movies they don't want to in "half of the debates on these forums."

DJ

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Members,
Is it really necessary to argue every point, example being the use of the word "forced"? At this point, your discussion then becomes something of a trivial matter when perhaps, it's best to take a break from such a discussion. A better option is to agree to disagree and then move on.

Crawdaddy

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I did not say that half of these debates were about being forced to watch dvds they don't want to. I merely said that half of the debates on this forum could be answered by "simply don't buy the dvd". But you knew I meant this, too.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
All right, I'll start:

For the third time, I have a strong feeling that George WILL put the originals on DVD. I just think that he will not say so until right before the DVDs are officially announced. He was flatly denying that the prequels would come to DVD before 2006, as the DVD of Episode I was being put together, so he won't say that the originals are coming to DVD until right before the press release goes out.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I hope you're right. I hope he learned a lesson from Steven Speilberg and the ET release!

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't it be great if people who didn't like the prequels could pretend they didn't exist, and the people who do like them wouldn't have to hear how they are terrible movies?

Ignorance would truly be bliss in this case.

I do hold out one hope though: hopefully this ridiculous debate will be over after Episode III is released and the OT finally comes out on video.

Or will it? Gosh I wish we could have a truce. It's just illogical.

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
We shouldn't accept anything but a 9-disc set for the OT. 1 disc for the Original untouched verion, another for "his vision", and the last for special features. He has the power to charge what he wants for them, and pull a Disney by running limited runs and yanking them off the production line. Just don't scratch or let anyone borrow those discs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks