What's new

So I was thinking about Star Wars on DVD... (1 Viewer)

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
GL is CGI crazy. He ruined the Star Wars films. I like seeing the matte. Those where the special effects of the time. If George really wants to remake "his true vision", just reshoot the whole damn thing.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Barry, I liked most of your changes, except replacing Sebastian Shaw. I think it is perfectly believable that some 25 to 30 years after AotC Anakin might look like that, both as the ghost and also as the unmasked Vader.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
It’s amazing how you still find the force and energy to talk about it! I’m personally so burned out and devoid of energy that I don’t care anymore. Even if they announce someday that the original unadulterated trilogy is coming to DVD, I think it’s going to be extremely anti-climatic!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I think I will take my original versions of 4-6 on laserdisc and make dvd back up copys. So if my laserdisc player takes a dump then I still have a way to see the originals. Lucas has let his movies be released in the theater with SDDS, DTS and Dolby Digital. Now what choice do we get when we are spending our money? We get DD only and only the versions Lucas wants us to have. I love Star Wars but this is getting rediculous and I think Lucas should listen to the pubic every once in a while. He knows he has a product that many people want and he knows it. He should have made episodes 1 and 2 line up with the originals. Instead of going back after the fact and warping 4,5 and 6 to match the new episodes. I am just totally disapointed that no episodes will ever make it in DTS :angry: . I also enjoy the SE versions but enough is enough allready. Making changes to a original movie makes no sence and is kinda dumb. Its like the story line in Highlander where over two movies the story line is set up. And retold then with the third episode came out the warped and changed the entire concept. I hope he does not make any drastic changes with the originals.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Barry, I liked most of your changes, except replacing Sebastian Shaw. I think it is perfectly believable that some 25 to 30 years after AotC Anakin might look like that, both as the ghost and also as the unmasked Vader.
First, Barry said he'd replace Shaw as Anakin's spirit, not Vader unmasked. Anakin was only in his 40's when he died, and Shaw looks way too old (I think he was in his 70s when he was in ROTJ)

Shaw should remain as Vader unmasked as the Dark Side withers the flesh like it did Palpy, but I'm all for Hayden playing Anakin's spirit (with some makeup to make him look slightly older).

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Has nobody read my opinion on this subject? I believe that the originals WILL be on DVD, and George is only saying that they won't because he knows how surprised we'll be when he "changes his mind." Just like how he knew for a long time that he was going to put the prequels on DVD before 2006...he just didn't say it until right before the official press release for the TPM DVD came out.

So basically, I believe that any time George is saying the originals won't come to DVD, he's lying (or maybe he hasn't decided yet, I dunno...)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
First, Barry said he'd replace Shaw as Anakin's spirit, not Vader unmasked. Anakin was only in his 40's when he died, and Shaw looks way too old (I think he was in his 70s when he was in ROTJ)
Reread # 13 in RotJ. He said for both! And Anakin could be more like in his early 50's by then. What was he supposed to be in TPM, 10. And now in AotC I think he's like 20. Then a few years or so until Ep3. so maybe he's 24 then. Now Luke is born and he's probably like 19 when we first see him in ANH, so now Anakin's 43. Then we have all the time that transpires between ANH and his death in Jedi. We never know for sure just how long goes by during all of that. And besides different people age differently.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Shaw gave a wonderful performance as the unmasked Vader and I hope that will be preserved forever in the original theatrical cut. The only reason I suggest refilming those scenes with Hayden is that after what we've learned from the prequels the scene as is seems a bit anti-climatic. Like I said before in my list, he should apologize for the destruction he has caused, he should thank his son for helping him turn back to the lightside, he should tell his son to rebuild the Jedi and he should say he loves him and his sister. Just before he dies he should say, "It is finished!" in reference to his destiny finally being fulfilled. Please bear in mind that I love the original versions of Episodes IV - VI just as they are and hope that George Lucas will make them available for the fans and preserve film history. Despite my love for the original versions I am more in love with the saga and the story as a whole. I want the two trilogies to blend together as seamlessly as possible and I believe they can. I'm not calling for drastic changes to the core story but tweaks here and there to special effects and small details to futher connect both trilogies.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Bear in mind also that Anakin spent many years concealed behind a steel mask, and his skin was deprived of oxygen and sunlight, you'de look a little shriveled and pasty as well I think. :)

I really do not understand this unwavering devotion to the originals merely from the standpoint of nostalgia? So Lucas should sacrifice a realatively seamless flow from one trilogy into the next one just because people like matte lines and stop motion anamation!?

Give me a flowing story that won't jarre me out of it with inconsistant visuals any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
So Lucas should sacrifice a realatively seamless flow from one trilogy into the next one just because people like matte lines and stop motion anamation!?
I'm not asking him to sacrifice anything. He can make whatever changes he likes--as long as he provides the untouched originals for long-time fans to enjoy as well. He should take his cues from what his buddy Spielberg did with E.T.

This is not just about nostalgia, but preservation of film history.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
And Anakin could be more like in his early 50's by then. What was he supposed to be in TPM, 10. And now in AotC I think he's like 20. Then a few years or so until Ep3. so maybe he's 24 then. Now Luke is born and he's probably like 19 when we first see him in ANH, so now Anakin's 43. Then we have all the time that transpires between ANH and his death in Jedi.
Actually, not much time passes in the OT. About 3 years pass between ANH and ESB, and less than a year passes between ESB and ROTJ, so Anakin would only be in his mid 40s by his death.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I really do not understand this unwavering devotion to the originals merely from the standpoint of nostalgia
Where did anyone say it was "merely" due to "nostalgia"? A lot of people think the originals (especially the first two) are better than the character-altered revisions.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Let me just say this. . .

If George Lucas wants to make the best DVDs ever, then he MUST include the original editions. There is no other way. The originals can't just waste away, because they are an important part of cinematic history that deserve to be seen unaltered on DVD. However, I would also like the new "Ultimate Edition" of all of the films. I think that Lucas can improve them, and I would like to see some of the cheesy effects replace by CGI. There should be a disc for each version of each film (since seamless branching would not really work with all of the new scenes that might be added) with Dolby Digital EX and THX certification, and if they really wanted to make me happy, DTS ES. I don't really want to jump into the extras, since there is so much that could be done.

Lucas shouldn't be embarassed about the effects. It was the best that they could do at the time. And it captivated untold millions people. So what is there to be ashamed of?

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I think it's humorous how so many detest Lucas' changes, yet would like to make some by their own hands.
Interesting point.

Although I do detest a good deal of his changes, I never suggested adding any of my own.

I would be quite happy with having the unaltered versions.

Has anyone here come up with a term to describe original theatrical version (much like we have one for OAR)?

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
You know, if so many people didn't watch these movies, Lucas probably wouldn't care what they looked like when compared to modern movies.

But since Star Wars is consistently a part of our culture, they are constantly in the public eye. And Lucas the filmmaker wants them to look just as good as a modern day release.

Of course, he also wants them to mesh with the PT...but even in the absence of the PT, the imperative to do the updated effects would still remain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks