What's new

So I signed up for another home theater forum (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Check just about anything by QQQ :D He's a hi-end HT installer, and man does he know how to get those guys wound up :laugh:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Way too much fanboyism over there, way too many trollers. The closest thing you'll find here is in the HD-DVD hardware and software forums where a lot of format warriors go a bit too far, but over there it's worse and it's everywhere.

That being said, if you go there regularly enough to be able to spot the axe grinders, fanboys, and trolls it is still possible to get a lot of good information about hardware-- which displays do proper processing of 1080i and which don't, what particular models have what particular problems more than others, etc.

For anything having to do with the qaulity of software or the artistic side of the hobby HTF is far superior, and a much friendlier and by a quantum leap better moderated place.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
OMG, the easiest thing is to post that you bought a $200 power cable(yes power cable) and that you noticed a HUGE/NO difference in your a/v performance. Of course the current thread on that is probably still active. :D

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

That "other forum" is actually almost exclusively hardware-oriented. I like HTF because it is flat-out superb when it comes to DVD reviews, previews, movies and TV programs. :emoji_thumbsup: (Besides, HTF is easier on the eyes. ;) )

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I think you get a sort of fanaticism when you get into hardware as deeply as some of the people on AVS forum. I can remember when the Hardware section here was much livelier, but also it was more confrontational (Outlaw 950 comes to mind), but slowly this forums banishment policy turned a lot of those knowledgeable and vocal (yet snobby) people off, or they were flat out banned. So now you have a friendly, non-fanatical board with casual HT fans at the HTF and a rude and egocentric, yet devoted and extremely knowledgeable group over at AVS.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I think Jed nailed it. :)

I go to AVS for the hardware - particularly the HTPC forum. There are some amazingly knowledgeable guys there - and they tend to be helpful even to the newbies.

The amount of useful information there is mindboggling - and I really appreciate their search feature.

With that said, I love the HTF - the TV and Software forums are topnotch and always interesting to read. Oh and the After Hours forum is lots of fun too -even though I haven't been posted here much lately.

I remember the good ol' days when we had a lot of science discussion (space, skepticisim, etc.). I think we've mellowed a lot since then. :D

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
The only problem I have with that forum is it's almost too busy. I tried looking up information on my new-used Infocus 4805 and I have to sift through hundreds of pages of content. The second I see someone ask a question the answer is usually, "It's posted previously in this thread."

I'm not going to spend hours reading that thread.

Anyway.. :)

Kyle McCabe

Stunt Coordinator
I like the 'other' forum okay, but this forum seems much more laid back and "personal", if you know what I mean. I post over there in the Theater Accessories quite a bit to answer questions and engage in conversation about HT seating.

I've tried getting feedback on new or upcoming products over there, but one of my competitors gets all upset and reports me to the mods for "marketing". Bleh. I spend a lot of money in advertising over there. Why wouldn't I want to promote my business a little bit? I agree that it's pretty irritating to see vendors post their products all over the place with no shame whatsoever, but I never figured it would be a big deal to simply ask for opinions. I mean, I want to give the people what they want! :D Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I guess this would be a good time to thank all of you for not being so uptight! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks