What's new

So I made some DIY cabling.. what do you think? (1 Viewer)

David K.

Second Unit
I made some for fun.

Headphone extension mini 1/8" female to Male 1/4" plug, with Cat 3 cable! :)

and teflon insulated silver laced copper, silver bearing solder, el cheapo plugs... the neutriks arriving tommorrow.

how important in shielding for interconnects? I was thinking about using the teflon wire to make some.

David K.

Second Unit
made another cable today

26 awg triple braid, teflon insulated silver plated copper, silver bearing solder, Neutrik plugs, dual wall heatshrink and clear 1/4" tech flex.

David K.

Second Unit
well, the plugs are the most expensive, the cabling is like a little more then $10 for for 50 feet of wire, and flexing is about 40 cents a foot, silver solder is about 3 dollars a roll, heat shrink is a few cents.

and some soldering experience and cable assembly experience and your set.

David K.

Second Unit
My first mini-RCA

Litz braid 26 awg teflon silver plated copper, silver bearing solder, neutrik plugs

a little on the sloppy side with this one, I did a lot of experimenting with aesthetics.

David K.

Second Unit
hah, i just did a listening test between both my cardas hpi and the new braided mini I made just right now actually sounds better thent he cardas, the cards sounds veiled and muddy in comparison.

but then, on occasion one channel was static sound then I switched around the plugs and now I cant replicate that distortion anymore. cant be a short, checked very carefull while terminating and ran a test with tip, ring and ground via multimeter befere and after termination.

Im wondering if its do to shielding issues?

What I do know is the cable I just made right now sounds better then my Cardas HPI :D

Im impressed with this cable, I was thinking I wasnt going to hear anything. then after a bit of time listening to my cable, I swapped it and boom, I noticed the difference in clarity and dynamics.

this ones a keeper :)

David K.

Second Unit
another one?

silver plated solid core copper, teflon insulation. Litz braided 1/4" - 1/8" headphone interconnect.

David K.

Second Unit
I dont really need video cables, so I dont think I will be making any soon.

I picked up some shielded silver copper teflon cable. I will be making some locking interconnects soon. chrome flexing under black flexing for a shimmering effect.

can some one help me out with subwoofer cables?

I need to use coaxial cables for the sub right?
and I only connect the ground on one end?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Making cables is something I've always been interested in but, I've never been able to get off my arse and actually make some.

I love the look of the black flex on the outside.

David K.

Second Unit

actually Im going to make some shielded teflon insulated silver plated copper core interconnects, with locking plugs.

If I were to sell there at the for sale forums how much do cables like that normally go for?

Yousaf

Second Unit
Oh I don't know, but I was looking for a quality miniplug to RCA cable that was 40' long or so...if that's a possibility for you, let me know and we can work out a price I'm sure.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Some interconnects (not video) have no shielding or are even designed to reject EMI. If you're not going to use coax, then twist the wires (look at some of the braided interconnects out there) and that should do it. You can also use microphone cable for this purpose. As far as the static, that sounds like it might've been an iffy cold solder connection.

BTW David, you did nice work. If it's not too much trouble, consider a step by step photo series to illustrate to others how you did it along with what instruments you used and sources for your parts.

David K.

Second Unit
the soldering is fine,

here are some pics

regarding the steps, I ordered teflon silver wiring from ebay in bulk, braid them, strip them and solder them with silver bearing solder. tip, ring, ground :)

not too difficult, make sure you use a multimeter.

just solder up both ends, tip to tip, ring to ring and ground to ground.
tip = left channel
ring = right channel
base/barrel = ground

David K.

Second Unit
Completed my first pair of RCA interconnects.

the locking plugs were tough to terminate, the silver solder wouldnt stick, took me a while to get a strong connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks