What's new

So I just got taken by the "Wahldorf Home Theater" scam. (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd say it's more likely a ploy to keep the victims from so quickly running to authorities to say they've been scammed...because they think they may be complicit in some way.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I wonder what qualifies as a scam these days? Is selling sub par speakers for a couple of hundred dollars out of the back of a van any different than selling Bose Cubes and HTib out of Factory Stores, Retail Store,s and on the Internet for thousands of dollars. Who knows the speakers may have been manufactured in the same factory in China. But guess if you have a business license or are an authorized dealer then it's not a scam but a legitimate business.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by CB750
I wonder what qualifies as a scam these days? Is selling sub par speakers for a couple of hundred dollars out of the back of a van any different than selling Bose Cubes and HTib out of Factory Stores, Retail Store,s and on the Internet for thousands of dollars. Who knows the speakers may have been manufactured in the same factory in China. But guess if you have a business license or are an authorized dealer then it's not a scam but a legitimate business.
For me Bill its not what is sold but how its sold. Telling someone they are getting a great deal by implying that something is "hot" and selling it to them out of the back of a van where they have no recourse it one thing. Someone who goes to a store and buys Bose at least has the opportunity to listen to the product before making a mistake decision and has some recourse with the store if there is a problem.

HTiB is a bit different. While they aren't ideal, they are a good entry point into home theater for people on a budget, and most probably sound better than white van speakers

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
But Adam in both cases it boils down to different degrees of fraud. While the white van guys use a deal on hot goods. The Bose retailer sells goods under false pretenses as they use a specially produced media to demo the system. The fish that buys this stuff cannot reproduce that quality of that demo when he gets his Bose home. I know this is true because I had taken my own music with me to Bose factory stores and they would not play it for me. They always gave some excuse like the equipment is set up to only play the demo.

However, I do have to admit that based on consumer ratings most of those who purchased Bose cubes are very happy with them until the join your forum. While those who buy white vans are mad before they join.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's very different. White Van is outright deception: lying about the source of the speakers, the reason for the prices, and the specs. Everything about the encounter, from what I've read, is deceptive. And, when all's done, there's no warranty nor return policy if they turn out to be low quality.

Bose is "puffery" -- doing everything you can to enhance your product. And when you buy Bose, and find they don't sound as good as at the showroom, you can return them. If they break, they have a warranty.

If the WV speakers were sold at a flea market, as-is, no specs, no nonsense about "boss's error", cash-only / no return, then that would be an honest business.

Patrick70

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Fairbanks
Wish I had seen this post before today. SOB's took $180 from me not more than two hours ago! I did call the police and posted a warning on facebook. I'd like to run itno them again, I'd take my loss out of their a$$es!

schwa

Grip
Real Name
Jackson
Where did you get it? The information from internet is not that reliable sometimes! You may check it if it works yourself.

ruserious

Auditioning
Real Name
brucewayne
Yo Kory Well I too bought these speakers from a white van. I knew the deal. Opened the box and checked them out. I actually had my fake Toshibo laptop with me and looked up this site. MSRP over 5k, paid $300. I went home and they sounded good enough. I believe in Jesus and he is my friend. I am surely going to heaven. I sold them to his brother Chico for $400.

nexgentampa

Auditioning
Real Name
trystan
Well, your 90% right? all the technical info is correct but the German audio company is waldorf not wahldorf, other then that, great post

H

hteyre

Like the control yoke, the dashboard is not a good place to set your headphones. The main concern here is that the headset might scrape the windscreen, resulting in nicks and scratches. A headset left on the dash can also absorb a significant amount of sunlight and heat, leaving it too hot for the user to wear. Over time, repeated exposure to excess sunlight will fade the earcups and possibly degrade other headset components. Avoid these possibilities by ignoring the dash as a headset holder

homeadditions

Auditioning
Real Name
Voitek Klimczyk
I caught these guys pulling the Home Theater Scam on Video accidentally. Check out this YouTube video.
I even narrated everything that was said.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I wish you would have got more details on camera, like how its really worth thousands, etc, but its pretty funny that they tried to pull it on you in your driveway, and you happened to have a camera rolling.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hi Donna!

Welcome to the Home Theater Forum.

I think if you look back through this thread you'll find this particular scam isn't really tied to any geographic region. These guys will try to make a buck just about anywhere unfortunately.

What's your story? What happened to you?

HACKINT0SH

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve J.
Very interesting thread. I saw something like this in a parking lot quite a few years back. I didn't give them a second of my time because it just seemed wrong and suspicious. Not exactly the product, but the fact that I was sure the ownership of the malls did not appreciate people just pulling up into THEIR parking spots, in order to peddle all kinds of wares to shoppers. That's what renting a shop-space is for.

miss lucy

Auditioning
Real Name
lucy quinn
I bought a set at a garage sale from a couple who said that they bought them for their son but they were too big. I paid $50 for the two of them. I don't feel so bad after some of the stories that I read. I did strip a speaker wire and inserted it into the slots in back. I did get sound out of one of them. I didn't even take the other one out of the box. So at least they do work. Maybe, I'll donate them to the salvation army or something. ???? I'll make my money back by washing my own car 4 times instead of taking it to the car wash. I did one today, three to go.::laugh: :laugh::laugh: :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks