What's new

So...are you mixing-in your HD discs with your SD-DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I will admit to being a Bluray-ista and Media Segregationist. Blurays and DVD are CLEARLY separate and not equal in my home. Sorry, takes a lot to admit to prejudice. :D

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I have kept everything separate as well - movies by genre as well as tv shows ( eg westerns, drama, musicals, comedy, police shows etc. ). At the moment one closet is packed with dvds, mostly tv series and documentaries as well a handful of vhs tapes and 70 odd laser discs. I also have three Ikea shelf units holding most of the dvds ,blu rays as well as 50 hd dvds, all separate. All told there are 1,332 movie dvds ( including 64 box sets ), 288 various tv show seasons and documentary's and lastly 310 blu rays. I have been very slow at replacing the hd dvds and lds for either dvd or blu ray versions where they exist as I either do not watch those movies enough or it does not bother me to upgrade. In some instances the ld films are not widescreen on dvd. I still have some room but not much so I have become very selective in what I buy on blu ray - I rarely buy dvds now except for the odd tv series such as Kojack. Depending on the film I usually give dvds away to a friend when it comes out on blu ray. Bye Bye Birdie is up next.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I organize all discs in physical proximity by the median average "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" value of all the film's main stars as per the Oracle of Bacon, then by year. My shelf arrangement must be updated regularly as he keeps making movies like X-Men: First Class with large casts, and this keeps messing up my collection because everyone in Hollywood is approaching 1 degree of separation. ;)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
cineMANIAC said:
I hope you didn't throw out anything you'll regret later
I stopped disposing of DVDs while anticipating upgrades (to other DVDs or Blu's) - there's just no telling what will or won't make it to the newer edition until it actually released. I don't even rely on press releases anymore as they're not always 100% accurate. Made lots of mistakes but I learned my lesson
I was very late to the LD game and only had a very small collection (by most any collector's standards

And yeah, I too usually keep my old DVDs around until I can be sure about the upgrades.

_Man_

On my shelves I have A-Z DVDs in standard cases followed by A-Z bluray. On other shelves I have BluRay Box sets only and DVD only box sets. I have my BluRay digibooks all together in ABC but they dont stand up too well next to each other, so I added a few box sets. I have my Criterion BluRays also separated. A couple of shelves have both HD and SD sets like Poirot and those giant Anniversary editions like Casablanca, Wizard of Oz.
I tend to wait for Blu releases before I replace a DVD. I havent gotten rid of Indiana Jones or any of the Hitchcock movies yet even though I know Ill be doing so around the time we see reviews and such.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Where else on Earth would you find a conversation thread on this subject? I think that's why I love this website so much, always a welcome stop on my cyber travels.
I have separated my analog and digital videos in separate rooms (including the hardware), but as the number of blurays I have increases, I find I can't store them with my dvds as it becomes a question of how many dvds one can get to a shelf, as opposed to blurays.
The bluray boxsets thankfully are about the same size (Star Wars, Jurassic Park etc), but will have to group the 'box of junk' ones in their own group (Ben Hur, GWTW, Ten Commandments etc)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nope, no mixing here. The DVD's are separate from the BD's. And to prove how retentive I am:

DVD: Grouped according to type (TV, Disney, two disc sets, special packaging, regular discs). The TV shows are naturally together in season order.

BD: Grouped according to type (TV, Disney, slipcovers, special packaging, franchises/movie series, Marvel live action, DC live action, Marvel animated, DC animated). Movies are further sub-grouped by original release date...which turns into a major hassle for Disney movies.

Mixing all my discs would drive me nuts.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have all (or nearly all) of my DVDs and BDs [and CDs] in CD/DVD/HD Pro Sleeves from www.mmdesign.com. Yes this was an expensive project, but I wanted the room gained by getting read of all the cases but still being able to keep all paper parts without having to fold them. Currently all are segregated. Next time I move (and hence have to deal with the collection) I may combine the DVD/BDs. You can fit multi-discs in the pro sleeves so if I have one movie in both DVD and BD (and couldn't toss the DVD because of original, non-ported content) I may combine both and toss the DVD packaging. Not decided yet.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
RickER said:
I remember when i had to leave my DVDs in my car until my wife went to bed. I didnt want to hear her bitch about spending $50 on payday for DVDs. Course she is my ex now. My wife (#2) has no problems with my DVDs. She does make fun of me for always moving them around. A guy has to have a system! I keep movies in one section, in alphabetical order, then TV shows in another, anime, in yet another, and finally Blu-rays. All are alphabetical. Oh, and everything has to be in an Amaray case, cept Blu-rays are in the same type of Blu-ray case.
This wife is always excited when her hubby brings home the latest weekly releases. We keep our collection OD DVD and BD together not separated.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Only place I mix them is on the Criterion shelf, which is by spine #. Right now DVDs are in alpha, but usually I separate things I haven't seen yet from things I have in all formats. I just re-did the Blus in order of theatrical release on a whim. I bounce between mixing HD-DVD with Blu. Usually I do but they are separate right now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The fifteen or twenty HD-DVDs I have left that have not been replaced by Blu-ray counterparts are housed on a separate shelf in my collection. I really should watch these more often just to keep dust from gathering on the shelf. There just always seems to be something else to watch.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I got HD first, but after BD won the format war. Since the format was dead I was able to get a player and the movies for so cheap it seemed like a good deal, my standard DVD player had died, and I got the A1 for $60 at Walmart. Films were to be had for $6 that were $30+ on Blu. I'm glad that I can replace most of them if I ever needed to, but as long as the toshiba machine keeps kicking, no reason to replace them with Blu. Of course now I have about 400 Blu discs to my 50 odd HDs lol.

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
I keep my BR and DVD together. I only have 6 HD-DVD titles as I bought a HD-DVD player near the end of the formats life more as an extra DVD player. I don't have the HD-DVD player hooked up in our main entertainment system, so they are separate for now - eventually being replaced with BR when I find the titles on the cheap.
One thing that has always drived me crazy is that all disc packaging, just like most books, design the spine label to be read from top to bottom when it is upright on a shelf (in English). If it is laying on a table it is easily ready left to right (in English) which does make sense. However, when all these titles on a shelf if I am glancing at titles quickly, it seems slightly slower to read the titles since it is similar to reading a page of text from the bottom of the page to the top. (this is getting harder for me to describe as I write... oh well.) SO... the way I have all these disc on my self currently is "upside down" where the spine reads from bottom to top. At first, I thought it looked a little off - heck, its a conversation starter - but, I've come to like it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JeremyLG /t/269517/so-are-you-mixing-in-your-hd-discs-with-your-sd-dvds/180#post_3961264
One thing that has always drived me crazy is that all disc packaging, just like most books, design the spine label to be read from top to bottom when it is upright on a shelf (in English). If it is laying on a table it is easily ready left to right (in English) which does make sense. However, when all these titles on a shelf if I am glancing at titles quickly, it seems slightly slower to read the titles since it is similar to reading a page of text from the bottom of the page to the top. (this is getting harder for me to describe as I write... oh well.) SO... the way I have all these disc on my self currently is "upside down" where the spine reads from bottom to top. At first, I thought it looked a little off - heck, its a conversation starter - but, I've come to like it.

You must be one of them radicals, Jeremy!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jason_V /t/269517/so-are-you-mixing-in-your-hd-discs-with-your-sd-dvds/180#post_3960216
BD: Grouped according to type (TV, Disney, slipcovers, special packaging, franchises/movie series, Marvel live action, DC live action, Marvel animated, DC animated). Movies are further sub-grouped by original release date...which turns into a major hassle for Disney movies.

Mixing all my discs would drive me nuts.
Is that theatrical or home video release date?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DVD and blu ray are in the same stewpot.
But I separate TV box sets from the movies, though still mixed recklessly SD with HD
And unopened discs are separated, as a constant reminder to money wasted, mocking my tastes of five years ago.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/269517/so-are-you-mixing-in-your-hd-discs-with-your-sd-dvds/180#post_3961307
Is that theatrical or home video release date?

Original theatrical release date...which turns into a problem with Disney two packs like Fantasia, Fox and the Hound, etc. I just go by the theatrical release date of the first film in those cases.

For things which are DTV (Lion King 1.5 and 2), I use their first release date since they did not get theatrical releases.

Yeah, I know...

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll jump into this one again.

I have wound up with a system using two large Ikea cabinets, each with 8 shelves on the left and right side, and each shelf double-rowed so that the shelf holds twice the number of DVDs it appears to hold. (There's a back row and a front row)

On one side of the room, there is a cabinet holding:

Left Side:
Top 3 Shelves - Blu-ray Criterion Collection/Classic Cinema (up to 1975) - a very small number of DVDs mix in here - like keeping the Hearts of Darkness DVD with the Apocalypse Now Blu.
Bottom 5 Shelves - Blu-ray Movies organized alphabetically - a very small number of DVDs mix in, like having the unrated DVD of Die Hard 4.0 next to the Blu-ray Die Hard set.

Right Side:
Top 3 Shelves - SD DVD Criterion Collection/Classic Cinema (up to 1975)
Bottom 5 Shelves - SD DVD Movies organized alphabetically

On the other side of the room, there is a cabinet holding:

Left Side:
Top Shelf - Theater, Sports and PS3 Games (Blu-rays and DVDs here mix, based on content - Lakers sets, Shakespeare's Globe, etc)
Second Shelf - Blu-ray Television Series Sets - a small number of DVDs mix in, like keeping all of LOST together in one place - arranged alphabetically
Shelves 3-6 - SD DVD Television Series Sets (also including HBO movies, and TV miniseries) - arranged alphabetically
Seventh Shelf - Music and Concerts (Blu-rays and DVDs here mix, based on content - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concerts, Peter Gabriel, etc)
Eighth Shelf - Miscellaneous CD/DVD/Blu-ray Box sets for various musical artists - like the Deluxe U2 releases, the Tom Petty Concert Anthology, etc

Right Side:
Top Shelf - Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray Animation, with a small section of DVD animation in the back row, showing what titles haven't been upgraded yet to Blu
Second Shelf - Sci-Fi/Fantasy- front row is Blu-ray, with a small number of SD DVDs mixed in, based on content, the back row is SD DVD - both rows alphabetical
Third Shelf - Front row is Battlestar Galactica and Space: 1999, mixing Blus and SD DVDs based on content, back row is Comic Book Adaptations - Blu and SD mixed alphabetically
Fourth Shelf - Star Trek/X-Files - Blu-rays and DVDs mixed, shelf arranged by Season and by number of the movie in the series
Fifth Shelf - Star Wars/Lucas/Indiana Jones/James Bond/Matrix/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings - Blu-rays and DVDs mixed based on content
Sixth Shelf - Documentaries - Mostly SD DVDs, but a small number of Blu-rays are segregated at the right side. Titles arranged alphabetically.
Seventh Shelf - DVD/Blu-ray Box Sets - Battlestar Galactica Original Series Cylon Head, Six Million Dollar Man Box, etc
Eighth Shelf - Blu-ray & DVD Box Sets - Blade Runner, Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, Mel Brooks, Best of Norman Lear, etc.

I also now have an arrangement of Emmy Screeners on the top of one of the cabinets - which I'll likely be boxing up at some point soon.
The now-replaced DVD collection, and many review copies of Blus are up in the attic. As I replace DVDs with Blus, I tend to keep the DVDs for exactly the reason pointed out here - not all the extras carry over. For example, my Twilight Zone Definitive Collection SD DVDs include many extras that didn't port over - like the bits of colorized footage used in the 1980s airing of "Miniature", etc.

I still have my HD-DVD player and the discs collected up in the attic. I have not used that player in 4 years, and I only have it as a "just in case" I want to spin up one of those discs.

At some point, I'll likely need to update this arrangement, as the number of SD discs in the cabinets drops and the number of Blus grows. And I'll need to centrally organize the replaced DVDs, which right now are randomly collected in boxes. I figure I'll get around to that in about ten years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks