What's new

So . . . any guesses as to what major movie Ron will be posting tonight? (1 Viewer)

DarrenA

Second Unit
As for quality, look again at T2:UE. It looks as good as any SuperBit I've seen. Also, the Criterion version of The Rock looks as good as any SuperBit I've seen. And the reason is they did it right the first time, whereas the studio that did the original The Rock DVD, did a piss-poor job.
Terrell,
I admit the T2:UE and The Rock:Criterion Collection are great looking DVDs, however the T2:UE is just shy from being reference IMHO. The Rock:CC is an outstanding transfer, and though it has some minimal EE (much less than T2:UE) I would still call it a worthy transfer to compare to the Superbit line.
I do find it interesting though that since I owned both original versions of The Rock and Terminator2, that in order to get the best picture possible for these two movies I had to upgrade to the newer versions of each of these (ala Superbit). So I don't see how it's fair to say that these were done right the first time out.
Ron,
Thank you and yes you may absolutely quote me. That is how I honestly feel about Superbit. I believe that Superbit titles are indeed superior and offer an audio and video improvement. However, it does make one think that CTHV is simply not putting the SB effort into the initial release, thus creating a line that does showcase their talents with top notch quality levels implemented the second time around.
And as far as Ron's reviews are concerned, I come here to the HTF mainly for the knowledge that is spread amongst the Software section since I have my HT room complete, and I enjoy collecting and viewing films on DVD. I find that I ALWAYS read Ron's reviews not because I agree or disagree with his assessment of a movie's A/V qualities, and not because I agree or disagree with Ron's view of the movie itself. The reason I read them is because they are written from a passionate person that enjoys watching films in the cinema and on DVD. Ron may consider himself a poor writer, but I find his reviews are a very easy read and get to the point quickly and efficiently. Keep doing what you're doing Ron and I will continue to read them...good, bad and otherwise.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well Michael, we normally get along and I don't think we have a feud on this, but if this was your problem with some comments
Nope, just insults. I felt that some of the comments were getting to the point of directly insulting Ron. (As did the moderator who stepped in.)
Then maybe what you wanted to say was "If you want to insult people and generally act rude, why don't you start your own website where you can act like that to each other."

Your problem wasn't that they didn't like Ron's reviews, but a more serious problem that they were saying so in a poor manner.

I'm not sure if I 100% agree with that as I think it's obvious that online comments have a wide range in which they can be interpreted and what strikes one person as insulting might be normal, rational commentary to another. This doesn't mean I'm right in how I viewed it, I guess I leave that up to the person being addressed somewhat.

I've had people defend me when someone else was making a joke with me many times, sometimes a well-known reference to some earlier thread that this new "defender" had simply missed. It's the nature of communication really, and it's amplified online.

Just look at Mike's reaction in regards to the Kael comments. Have any of those things been personal attacks, or rather just commentary/criticism of her artistic work as a writer?? Even if he's just making a point, the first defenses aren't that they weren't personal attacks, but rather that she is not an HTF member (and is no longer living for that matter).

Meaning that if Fincher becomes a member of HTF does that mean that no one will be allowed to review any of his films?

That seems ridiculous to me. Did I miss someone saying Kael was an evil, hateful bitch or something? (possibly) All I heard was that she wasn't always the best critic in someone's opinion. I don't know if that was malicious rather than just opinion on her style.

Let's not turn this into PCU or something where the words "his camera work was sophomoric" is attacked as "are you calling him stupid? That's a personal attack."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and for what it's worth OBI convinced me to buy Ever After thanks to a glowing review. Thanks a lot. ;) :D
Nice disc, nice enough film...but not a purchase by my standards today.
And I don't think most people question Obi's efforts and abilities as a DVD reviewer. He's very solid at it, IMO.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Sorry Seth, I thought that I cleared that up with Tom in my next post (2 down from the original one that you are talking about)

I said...
Tom, I just found that some of the comments were bordering on insulting, but, to each their own. I'll let the Admins handle this...
I'm assuming that this is also why a Moderator stepped in as well.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks