What's new

So, Aberdeen Maryland? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As much as I've resisted it my job is moving to Maryland next month. And it seems like I may just go down there. Anyone from the area care to comment on things to look for as far as housing?

I'm solo and no kids so schools are not important.
I'd like to not be further from the base than a 30 minute commute (yes I know the traffic getting in and out is bad).
I'm considering buying a bigger home than I need and renting out portions to other BRAC refuges
I'd ideally like a second finished building that could be used as a photography studio. While I am not a pro I'd like to have a separate area which could be used as a side business in the future. How does MD handle businesses in residential areas?
I've heard about a $1400 tax on top of town, county and state taxes, what's that all about?
As dumb as this sounds, FIOS might be an incentive to pick one town over another. The buildout maps are a mess, any clues as to what towns are fully good to go there, and is it true you can just get FIOS internet, not TV?
Waterfront might be tempting if I could find the budget for it, but not critical.

Towns I'm considering in order:
BelAir
Edgewood
Havre de Grace
Abingdon
Joppa / Rising Sun / Churchville might be further out but still worth thinking about.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Wow. Didn't think the BRAC migration was starting so soon. I'm in the Northern Va area but BRAC is huge around here since FT Belvoir is taking on a bunch of people. I'm not sure about your list of choices but I'll ask around to see what I can find out.

Jeff

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks Jeff. Bunch of government guys have already gone down, now they are starting in seriously with us contractors and the rest of the government guys who are moving. I've heard that as little as 15% of the work force will move. I'm still not 100% on going, but this slot is going August 16th with or without me. We werent supposed to go until June 2011, but then 'bang surprise, your are next'! =(

The entirety of Monmouth must be shut down packed up closed out and lights off by September 2011.

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Amish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Real Name
Troy Frey
well, can't help you much with the housing, Sam, all I know is a lot of Baltimore area workers look for property north of the Mason Dixon along the southern edge of PA because it must be cheaper taxes... /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

You'll only be about 50 miles from me - I live just a few miles north of Lancaster. We'll have to link up sometime and talk home theater stuff, lol...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam: When I was about ten my dad took me and my family on a trip to Aberdeen when he went on a business trip. About the only thing I remember is eating at a hamburger joint fronted by Gino Marchetti,of the Baltimore Colts. And for some reason I still have a matchbook (which I keep in my desk at work) from the place we stayed (Clay's Motel on Route 40). A little map on the inside of the book shows the motel was directly across the street from the Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

Does that help?!? /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Belair is closer and is a nice little town that is getting bigger all the time. My brother lives there and so do many of my friends. I would live there but my job would make that commute too painful.

Havre de Grace is an awesome place, but would be a farther drive for you. It is on the water of the bay and is very historic.

I would have to say that you want to avoid Edgewood, Abingdon and Joppa. My last house was in Abingdon and my biggest gripe is that most of Abingdon is simply too close to I 95 (road noise). The other places are not desirable even though Joppa does have some waterfront properties that might actually be affordable.

Rising Sun is kinda far for working at the proving ground...Churchville is cool and I would suggest you also take a look at Darlington and also Port Deposit although they are both kind of far as well.

I live in White Marsh

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm in the same boat as Sam except if you see my post, I'm moving north...

I can say the same thing about Rising Sun and Harve de Grace in terms of the niceness.

LDFan: the majority of folks I believe are moving to Aberdeen Proving Grounds, though some are moving to Ft Belvoir. I know that as a software engineer, the SEC is pretty much moving to APG though I know a married couple here where one is supposed to go to APG, the spouse is going to Ft Belvoir... Contemplate that logistics!!?!

I decided to do the logical thing, quit and find a job north where I've always wanted to be. I don't know of too many snow capped mountains in Maryland, especially right on the cheasapeake..

Jay

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If I haven't mentioned it, it's official, I'm starting in Aberdeen on 15 September. As of right now I still have to clean out and clean up my house here in NJ and figure out if I am going to try to rent it out or sell it and I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to stay once I get down there. The good news is I don't have to walk the earth like Kane from Kung Fu, but other than that it's going to be a big adventure. I may try renting a 1br for a bit or renting a room from other BRAC refugees if I can find something livable and with solid internet connectivity.

My biggest unknown is how I'm going to handle my cat. I can leave her up in NJ for a few days at a time and have my parents check in, but if I move her south with me that's going to make going home to NJ on weekends a bit tricky. I can't leave her alone long term and I don't want to give her up. Will figure it out but so far it's a mystery.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Sam, I hope you really like and do well at the new job. I have a sneaky thought you were trying to move as far away as possible! I move north, you move south... Maybe like one of those physics demonstration model of the 5 balls lined up like a pendulum trick.. :)

I, for one, however, think walking the earth like Kane is an excellent adventure... I hope you do have or take some time off though, kind of clear the mind and start anew..

Today was my first day I biked to GD, wow, I am out of bike shape, having a stupid flat 2.3 mile commute to Fort Monmouth... But feels good and today was a nice day!

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
BTW Sam, I sent you a PM on the cat, but also my sister knows of a boarding place around the navasink area if you want I can also ask her the name and location.....

jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Of course, not in NJ anymore and in fact, much closer to Mike... I'm going to move in soon... how's that? (I just updated my profile.... Hi Mike, neighbor... hahahahahaaaaaa

Jay

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaaaack! /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif

I thought I felt a disturbance in the force...
9c1a604a_vader1.gif

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Thanks guys. Next stop is Key west and then Baja california if I REALLY wanna get away from Jay and NJ =)
If you really want to get away from me Sam, you better move to like Iowa. (no offense to people in Iowa) but I like mtns and snow. :)

P.S. Mike, I'm watching you...

Jay

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm here! Doesn't seem as bad as some folk have made it out to be. The front gate is more of a ghost town than the ghetto it was described as and phone service is equally terrible on all services, not just Verizon and AT&T. I'm staying in Havre De Grace this week at a very nice place and am looking for an apartment to tide me over while I prep for sale.

One of my friends posted this the other night and I gotta hope she's right: 'Things always turn out the best for those who make the best of things'. =)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Sam, I'm glad that you have resurfaced, and just in time for the napkin thread too. Fort Monmouth is sure getting quieter and quieter. Hope you find a nice place down there, and enjoy some crabs for me (I'm allergic to them)..

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hope the transition goes smoothly. Don't know anything about Aberdeen, but from Google Maps it looks like you're in reasonable part of Maryland, close to some big cities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks