What's new

Snowpiercer..Chris Evans Sci-Fi Sleeper Hit? (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This is playing in Calgary for a few weeks in July. I will definitely check it out.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It would be strange for this film to not open somewhere in New York. I'd think that a limited release would at least cover the biggest population centres in the U.S. In Western Canada, Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton are the closest I suspect this film will get to me, and all of those cities are 10 hour drives one way from I live.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seeing it now. Unfortunately I'm the only one in the theater. :(

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ha. By the time it started there were about six of us. I really liked this film. I'm not sure it's the masterpiece some have claimed but it's definitely one of the better PA films I have seen. Great acting, especially by Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton. Great production design and a really good story borrowing elements from other great sci fi films which I won't spoil here. Not sure it's going to do well boxoffice wise here in the US. It definitely has an international vibe to it and it's not geared directly to US audiences as most blockbusters are. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen. Catch it before it disappears. ***1/2 out of ****

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
joshEH said:
You're largely right -- at one point, there existed a cut of the film that was some 20 minutes shorter (according to Bong Joon-ho in this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly) that was produced at Harvey Weinstein's insistence. Luckily, we now have the full, 2hr. 6min. version in release, albeit a limited one -- the director's vision won out in the end. Evans is so damn good in this. He delivers a line that could have had the audience howling with laughter, if it wasn't done perfectly. Also, it's the one line that Harvey apparently really wanted to cut. You'll know it when you see the movie. (The film leaves you angry, inspired, and exhilarated all at the same time. And Tilda Swinton is the best Yorkshire-accented villain since Brian Glover in Kes.)
Regarding that line was it:
I know what babies taste like or they taste the best line?
Definitely don't hear that in American films much. ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I also checked this out at the earliest opportunity. I don't believe it is the masterpiece that early reviews indicated, but it is a very good film. I probably watched it a little too much as an allegorical attempt based on those reviews, and that didn't work for me. While the broad strokes were well defined, the specific execution and retroactive examination were not nearly as effective. But as a straight forward narrative, it is a tremendous story. I'm glad it arrived in the preferred directorial form...I think it needed the singular vision to hold itself together.Great direction scene to scene, solid performances, and a remarkable anchoring lead in Chris Evans. I highly recommend the film, although it hoped for a bit more from it.Definitely give it a chance in theaters. We need more efforts like this.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I saw this last night and loved it. I don't believe it is really a sci-fi film, it is a surrealist vision of a microcosmic society. A word of advice - don't take the science too seriously; it's not like Star Trek where the science has to be totally plausible. Accept the world the director created and see the big picture. Stunning film with intriguing visuals and concepts. When it was over, I felt like I had awakened after having a very detailed, odd dream, thinking "What was that?" and I have been contemplating it's meaning ever since. A passionate performance from Chris Evans. I really think its detractors wanted it to be something other than it is. The John Hurt character is named "Gilliam" and I couldn't help but wonder if that was an homage to the filmmaker.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Very offbeat dystopian Sci-Fi thriller. It's not as good as dystopian classics like Escape From New York, Terminator, or Blade Runner, but still enjoyable and better than a lot of the other summer movies out right now.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
You're not going to see this film in wide release in North American theatres. Almost all of the major theatre chains refuse to play first-run features if they are made available at the same time on iTunes,VOD, and other non-theatrical platforms.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this tonight in a very packed theater for a Tuesday night. I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't think this would ever be a mainstream hit in the US.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It expanded to 250 theaters last week, and still had one of the higher per-screen averages ($4,032) on the weekend list (for comparison, the average for Transformers 4 was $8,753 and Tammy was $6,227).

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
We broke down and paid $7.99 to see this on DirecTV VOD. (We never do that; but, the significant other insisted.) Man, it was worth it. Somebody sure screwed up on the promotion for this movie. I have to say it is one of the best films I have seen this year. It was certainly the best Chris Evans movie I have seen.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Weinsteins never committed to a wide release of this movie because they wanted it edited and the director refused. The per screen average has been very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks