[review]
Continue reading the original article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Thanks, Matt! Just FYI, the 2009 release included the mono soundtrack as well. It was selectable from the audio options menu as "Restored Original Soundtrack".

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Same here, too. Snow White is an essential, but it would take an earthshaking MAJOR development for me to purchase another release. I still enjoy gazing at the deluxe laserdisc box..and that first Platinum DVD set has sentimental value, so it stays. Those and the 2009 Blu-ray are it, man. No more.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Charles Smith said:
Same here, too. Snow White is an essential, but it would take an earthshaking MAJOR development for me to purchase another release. I still enjoy gazing at the deluxe laserdisc box..and that first Platinum DVD set has sentimental value, so it stays. Those and the 2009 Blu-ray are it, man. No more.
The formats get better and Disney's efforts get worse. If they didn't know they needed home video, I'm sure they'd bail on physical media altogether.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ken_McAlinden said:
Thanks, Matt! Just FYI, the 2009 release included the mono soundtrack as well. It was selectable from the audio options menu as "Restored Original Soundtrack".
Thanks for the information, Ken. I'll go back in and revise the review.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
warnerbro said:
I guess Disney thinks they'll entice us to repurchase this set with the addition of:
Snow White in Seventy Seconds (1:12, HD): a young rapper relates the story of the film.
Yeah, right.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have the same conundrum with this I had with the Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray. Nothing about it surpasses the previous release in way I value other than the fact that it is available digitally as well as on disc. If I buy the digital copy by itself, I feel like I am now a data point saying that digital copies are preferable to physical releases.

With Sleeping Beauty, I waited until the Blu-ray plus digital copy release went on sale for the same price as the digital copy by itself. I'll probably do the same in this case.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My question is how different is this new Walt Disney-John Canemaker audio commentary compared to the Walt Disney-Roy Disney track from the other release. I love vintage Walt and that's the only potential selling point for me here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Josh Steinberg said:
My question is how different is this new Walt Disney-John Canemaker audio commentary compared to the Walt Disney-Roy Disney track from the other release. I love vintage Walt and that's the only potential selling point for me here.
You mean the audio commentary from the first Blu-ray or from some earlier release on laser or DVD? As far as I know, the Blu-ray commentaries are the same. I will admit, however, I didn't play the commentary from the 2009 Blu-ray when I was doing the A/B comparison for the video quality. I just assumed it was the same. There was no mention in the press materials that it was new to this release.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The one from the first BD is the same as the one on the DVD. I thought I had remembered reading in an earlier thread about how it was supposed to be a new track.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Ken_McAlinden said:
I have the same conundrum with this I had with the Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray. Nothing about it surpasses the previous release in way I value other than the fact that it is available digitally as well as on disc. If I buy the digital copy by itself, I feel like I am now a data point saying that digital copies are preferable to physical releases.

I know Vudu has a way of adding a digital copy for a discount if you already own a previous disc. I don't know if that applies to Disney movies, though, since they maintain control over all of their films via the Disney Digital Anywhere service. The only digital copies I own are ones that came along with the physical discs when I purchased them, so I haven't ever used the "upgrade" service. I'm with you on trying not to encourage streaming over physical media.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Disney is advertising this release as "First Time on Digital HD" so I guess that's what this new release is *really* all about.

In any event, I never purchased the 2009 BD release (still had my Platinum DVD with the "Disney through the Ages" special feature up on the shelf, and was still lamenting the end of HD-DVD at the time); so I just ordered this.

Thanks for the review!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Never got the original either as I didn't have blu ray at that time (the only home video format I was late to adopt, early adopter with all other formats). Really looking forward to this and hope my favorite Pinocchio will be next for a reissue.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Randy Korstick said:
Never got the original either as I didn't have blu ray at that time (the only home video format I was late to adopt, early adopter with all other formats). Really looking forward to this and hope my favorite Pinocchio will be next for a reissue.
Pinocchio is my favorite, too.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Between the 2009 blu and Platinum DVD, it looks like I'm still good and not needing this one. Thanks for the review!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks