What's new

SNL Season Four Announced (1 Viewer)

texboil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Robbins
As far as the fifth season goes, it's worth buying for two of my all-time favorite sketches: one where the guest host was a basketball player (I think?) and he kept asking people "Is it because I'm black?" including Garrett Morris who played his mother (it's a lot funnier than it sounds) and one where Laraine Newman played Carole King as she was composing "You've Got a Friend" with Steve Martin playing the friend. I won't spoil the joke there but it's hysterical.[/quote]

That was a parody of The White Shadow with Bill Russell, and yes, that's a classic. That also makes me think of a fifth season parody of That's Incredible/Real People when the all-white hosts bring on Garrett Morris as a "man with very dark skin" and then marvel at his uniqueness. I'm sure that shouldn't be funny, but it is.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I agree that it's likely that after the 5th season is released, we'll see at least a couple of season sets with Murphy on the cover to sell it. The debate here has been whether they'd bite the bullet to release the SNL '80 season or not, given how low the sales would likely be. (The sales numbers for each season set have dropped, by the way, and that trend is likely to continue if we actually see season sets for the entire 33 year run of the show. Even Eddie Murphy wouldn't be able to stem that - he was a huge star in the 80's, but that was then...) I continue to believe we'll see something of a combined season set of the 7th season with some highlights of the 6th season, and then two more Ebersol/Murphy season sets for 82-83 and 83-84 (although in that season set, you'll notice that Murphy isn't in very much of the show. Like Belushi, he was already going big in features by then. Unlike Belushi, he pretaped most of his appearances in a marathon session so they could be dropped into episodes as needed. I believe he was only contractually required to be shown in 10 eps of the 83-84 season as it was.) You would then be looking at a Crystal/Short/Guest season set of 84-85, followed by the return of Michaels. And like the SNL '80 season, I'm not sure what mileage can be had from releasing the 85-86 season. Even in the recent "Lost & Found in the 80's" docu, they openly admitted they were not happy with the season. My favorite moment of the interviews is Al Franken's impression of one of the show's writers grabbing his head backstage during the broadcast and grimacing "Show DYING! Show DYING!"

But others here could also be correct. They might suddenly jump to the more recent seasons as well - either going with the Will Ferrell years, or even a release of the last two or three seasons. I suppose we'll all know in about 6 months. Of course, they could just stop releasing the sets after the 5th season...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks